Goodbye Copper, Hello Pex and Aluminum

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

There are treatments and alloys that do not require painting. Putting aluminum rails up just to have them stolen is a losing proposition.
Harry K

Or galvanizing.
-- Silly sig to prevent isp ad
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Strange. I know signs are made of aluminum. Never seen an aluminum guardrail. An aluminum guardrail wouldn't have much strength (unless very thick) compared to steel. Maybe aluminum ones are used for decoration. Guessing you guys live in the east.
An aluminum

around pennsylvania rust is a major problem, coating guardrails only helps till the coating is damaged by say someone scraping it.
road salt causaes much of the problem, i will try a magnet on some this week.
i suppose they could spot weld the guardrails to the uprights to make them more vandal resistant.
i took a bunch of scap in recently they now make a copy of your drivers license, no doubt the poilce will be called if you take in guardrails or light poles.
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 17:50:45 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

They use aluminum pipe for guardrails on bridges. We scored some leftover from the Beltway and used it for a TV mast. It was around 3.5" used on the bottom and 4" used on the top which nested together fairly well and got us about 50' in the air. It was enough to get the Redskins from Richmond when they were blacked out in DC.

Here in the rust belt, most highway guard rails are steel K-rail style. Coated steel, heavily galvanized. They last okay. A formerly common name for the was Armco rails, related, I presume, to the company that came up with a coating method that works. Yeah, I do remember rusty rails from the old days, but anything put up in last 20-30 years seems to be fine.
aem sends...