Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

Page 16 of 16

This comment is really special coming from a guy that in another part of this thread posted a link to an article that used OPEC, officials in India, and the secretary of state of MA as credible sources pinning the high price of oil on speculators. LOL
++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm absolutely positive that everyone in that article was more qualified than you are to comment on the subject in question.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> And I'm absolutely positive that the EPA is more qualified > than you... :)
As I see it, what will happen w/ CFL's is the same thing that currently happens w/ incandescents -- when they burn out, folks will toss them in the trash and that's it, no matter what the rules are. There will be a small number of folks who will go to some extra trouble, but it will be a minute fraction of the population.

Is the mercury in the average CFL more dangerous or present a greater potential for environmental impact that does the (presumable) lead in the solder of an incandescent lamp?
Are we simply trading one hazard for another to save a few kilowatts?
--
:)
JR

Ullman wrote:

I did my work in an older Usenet posting, which can be turned up by Google by pasting this (split into 2 lines by my Unix shell account newsreader):
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread / 606a0b6eec7c094d/a5f4d2ab5014d3e5?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#a5f4d2ab5014d3e5
There I showed calculations indicating that replacing a 60 watt incandescent with a 15 watt CFL for 4,000 hours, if done in a location where saving electricity saves burning of coal, saves burning of 77 kg of coal (514 KWH of chemical energy). I post there assumptions of 35% combined generating and transmission efficiency.
In my posting there, I do cite the Wiki article on coal, and also:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3636/is_200505/ai_n13641513
(indicates that 77 kg of coal has 5.4 to 18.5 mg of mercury)
and
http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/cair/documents/021406 /
(indicates that "median coal" (my words) with 514 KWH of chemical energy has 14 mg of mercury.
So, if half of our electricity comes from coal, replacing a 60 watt incandescent with a 15 watt CFL reduces mercury pollution by 7 mg on average. Average CFLs have about 3-4 mg of mercury.
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

"They" removed the mercury from dry cells (batteries). Now it's CFLs (compact fluorescent lamps) turn to be the poster child of a Good Idea<tm> with a BAAAAD environmental impact.
How much mercury is in the average CFL? How much REAL damage can they do if introduced into the general waste stream and deposited in a MODERN landfill?
If they are <ahem> PROPERLY recycled, what happens to the mercury?
If the D.C.Droids can legislate 35mpg and ban the 100w and 75w incandescent light bulb, why do they not address the building "threat" of discarded CFLs?
--
:)
JR

Fact is you can find CF's that don't take a minute to get usable light. Some are nearly instant on. The only filament lamps I use at all are maybe a couple I haven't bothered to change that I leave on for 5-10 minutes at a time only.
I find it grating to read posts which make fun of federal lawmakers. I wouldn't want to spend more than 10 minutes of every year sitting in the halls of congress. I know it's a madhouse, but walk a mile in their shoes before you paint them all with the same brush.
Believe it or not, letting people do what they damn well please doesn't work in this country.