Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

If your county has a web site, you might find some links there.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You had to know this particular guy in order to understand that it was, indeed, a racial remark. "I got no problem with black people, but I just don't think they belong on this street", spoken with a straight face.

As far as mass transport being foisted on people, do you know anyone who takes the train into Manhattan to get to work?

I didn't think so.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

About all I can find on my county, the big city nearby and state websites (as well as the EPAs) is what the proper ways to dispose of the CFLs. Nothing on the local and nothing I can find right off on the EPA on the question of how they came to that conclusion. It may very well be correct, I'm just saying I can't find anything right off to back it up. Until then it is a rumor (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

By offering two extreme examples (tiny car vs. government control), you're acting like a clone. There are some in this newsgroup who actually ARE clones, but you're not one of them, so don't talk that way.

Here's an idea: How about educating the buying public, so they understand what they're really getting? Give them the knowledge to take advertising with a grain of salt?

For example, in snowy climates, all smart people (100%, in other words) know that assuming your car has enough ground clearance, the best thing in the world for snow-covered roads is front wheel drive and a good set of snow tires. 4WD is sorta OK, but when it's off, you're left with rear wheel drive. Bleh. Don't argue with this. My information is better than yours.

But still, some people will buy a 4WD SUV because they saw dreamy ads showing a mommy tucking the kids into their car seats, with the announcer emphasizing security and safety. Ha ha funny. Give me a Taurus or a Camry with a set of Blizzak snow tires and I'll be cruising happily while SUVs are sliding through intersections.

There is a world in between econo-box and your Silverado.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How do you know they wanted them? Remember something very important about sales and advertising: "Sell the sizzle, not the steak". Do you know what that means? Do you have any idea how well it works?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In this specific example, which entity would be helped by an ad campaign encouraging carpooling?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You left out the quote that explains all of the above:

"They misunderestimate me."

A figure from an earlier time called it "Rope-A-Dope."

Reply to
HeyBub

Why do people recycle containers & paper when it would be so much easier to just throw the stuff into the regular trash?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Let's see....11:55 PM....you were drunk.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Currently, and into the foreseeable future, the EPA is not a reliable source for environmental information.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Never being held accountable and sometimes manage to just walk away are two very different things. In superfund cases, the EPA in most cases has extracted money from the companies responsible. They do it when it's clear who is responsible, they are in business and have assets. The problem is with many of these superfund sites, eg dump sites, the dumping had been going on for decades and many of the companies involved no longer exist. In other cases, the legal system has extracted huge amounts from corporations for the mistakes they made. John Mansville wound up bankrupt after paying out claims for asbestos. The tobacco companies paid billions to settle their claims. The point Pete C made about environmental groups generally being able to make false claims, use the legal system to block projects and then walking away with no consequences is a valid one.

e quoted text -

Reply to
trader4

Never being held accountable and sometimes manage to just walk away are two very different things. In superfund cases, the EPA in most cases has extracted money from the companies responsible. They do it when it's clear who is responsible, they are in business and have assets. The problem is with many of these superfund sites, eg dump sites, the dumping had been going on for decades and many of the companies involved no longer exist. In other cases, the legal system has extracted huge amounts from corporations for the mistakes they made. John Mansville wound up bankrupt after paying out claims for asbestos. The tobacco companies paid billions to settle their claims. The point Pete C made about environmental groups generally being able to make false claims, use the legal system to block projects and then walking away with no consequences is a valid one.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GE has never fulfilled its agreement to clean up the mess it made of the Hudson, and Jack Welch is not in prison. I will give you no further information about the issue. You know how to research it. Good luck.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

quoted text -

You have an amazing nack for skipping the entire point of a discussion thread and coming up with a reply that adds nothing. We all know a lot of companies have been held responsible for their actions and have paid out huge sums for cleanup, damages, etc. And we know some, in one way or another, have not.

Now, if you want to refute the thread, then address Pete C's comments and provide us with all the examples where environmental groups that level false allegations, block projects, cause companies and society costs through delays or projects never get built at all are ever held responsible and made to pay damages.

Reply to
trader4

Heh! I'm in Texas which just implemented a "Pole Tax."

Patrons at strip clubs now have to pay a $5.00 state tax just to get in. Fortunately, that doesn't affect me or my buddies because we're more into devising schemes to kill Iranians, relatives of Iranians, or anybody who ever knew an Iranian.

War is, as you said, often unavoidable. Sometimes it comes like a thief in the night, by surprise. Sometimes we plan it in advance. Either way, we need a war every 15-20 years to keep our skills sharp, to train the next generation of warriors, and to serve notice on those who would do us harm.

And it's fullfilling.

Look at the current conflict. 85% of those who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan have re-upped at every opportunity. The 15% who declined to continue serving include, mostly, those invalided out and those who retired.

Face it, there are those we call "warriors," who run to the sound of the guns, who get their primary satisfaction in life out of killing people and blowing things up. It has always been thus.

We march. For our lands. For our families. For our freedoms. We march... Into the Hot Gates we march. Into that narrow corridor we march, where Xerxes numbers count for nothing. Spartans. Citizen soldiers. Freed slaves. Brave Greeks all. Brothers. Fathers. Sons. We march. For honor's sake, for duty's sake, for glory's sake, we march. Into Hell's mouth we march. ... From free Greek to free Greek the word was spread - that bold Leonidas and his 300, so far from home, lay down their lives, not just for Sparta, but for all Greece and the promise this country holds.

Now, here on this rugged patch of earth, Xerxes hordes face obliteration!

Just there the barbarians huddle, sheer terror gripping tight... knowing full well what merciless horrors they endured at the swords and spears of

300. They sit there now, across the plain, looking at TEN THOUSAND Spartans, commanding thirty thousand free Greeks!

The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one, good odds for any Greek!

This day we rescue a world from mysticism and tyranny and usher in a future brighter than anything we can imagine.

For brave Leonidas and the 300, to victory!

Reply to
HeyBub

Because it is free where it is successful?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

What about the fact that it's right thing to do? It didn't happen overnight, either. There was advertising involved.

By the way, it is NOT free.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Do you know anybody that takes the train into Los Angeles or Omaha or Denver or St Louis or Tupelo, Mississippi?

Reply to
HeyBub

Also many of the Superfund sites are related to dumping that was perfectly legal at the time. The legal system also got a fair amount of money from them. In fact, this litigation before the SF money is used is one of the main reasons it takes so long to start clean-up. The feds have to try and find the responsible parties and have to try and get their money from the RPs before they can spend SF money.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Exactly. Even during the "Oil Crisis," there was never a shortage of oil! There was a shortage of CHEAP oil!

But people adjusted. Mainly by voting Carter out of office.

And by the way, does your disdain for consumption of non-renewable resources apply to, oh, let's say, diamonds?

Maybe not. A diamond is forever. Like Herpes.

Reply to
HeyBub

zzzzzzz...........

Reply to