Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

Page 15 of 16
CJT wrote:

Different certainly, but I'm not convinced of better by any means.

I'd be happy with someone who could speak our native language without a script.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

They're all scripted, they just vary in how well they remember and present it. They are all professional liars.

I'm sorry, but I cannot accept a mental cripple in the White House. http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Drugs/story?id985919&page=1

So why did you vote for Kerry last time around, Kanter?

So the man had a problem, and overcame it -- and had the stones to admit it on national television, too. Perhaps on your planet, that makes him an object of derision; to most people on this planet, it's worthy of admiration.

No. Your president is broken. He wasn't always this way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw4Bhmm22xo&mode=related&search

Pete C. wrote:

I have trouble even imagining worse.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Matches your credibility level.

Not surprisingly, you can't offer an example.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote: ...

I'd like to see a quote from even one "arms control expert" who would say that eliminating civilian nuclear power would stop rogue nations from developing nuclear weapons. I'd venture that "expert" would be self-anointed or propounded by one of the "green" organizations w/ a vendetta against nuclear power.
An enriched-U weapon doesn't require a reactor at all as the most simple example. There's sufficient highly-enriched material already extant in Russia that has yet to be diluted that diversion is one of the highest paths for organizations w/ sufficient money.

About half the USA's electricity comes from coal-fired power plants. CFLs actually reduce the amount of mercury going into the environment.
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

I wonder how much of that statement is based on the assumption that the CFLs are going to be gotten rid of the way they should be, which is not likely to be the way they are.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's based on the CFLs being disposed of improperly, with the mercury that would be released being less than the amount released by a coal fired plant for the 75% of electricity the CFL saves vs. incandescent. I saw some comparison with actual numbers somewhere, but I don't know where.

Interesting. Most of the stuff I saw was silent specifically but usually detailed that they should not be tossed in the garbage, should be sent somewhere or taken to a hazmat disposal site and all sorts of stuff that very few people are likely to do in real life (g). I was wondering if concentrating the mercury at landfills was different than the spreading out of the mercury over large areas through smoke dispersal.
Ullman wrote:

I was talking about if all of the mercury in the CFLs got into the environment, as if the worn-out CFLs are all ground up and incinerated in bonfires.
If any are disposed of through lamp recycling outfits, then reduction of mercury pollution would be even greater.
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Interesting. Would you have a cite or two, I haven't seen anything like that and would like to read them. Thanks.
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

If your county has a web site, you might find some links there.

About all I can find on my county, the big city nearby and state websites (as well as the EPAs) is what the proper ways to dispose of the CFLs. Nothing on the local and nothing I can find right off on the EPA on the question of how they came to that conclusion. It may very well be correct, I'm just saying I can't find anything right off to back it up. Until then it is a rumor (g).
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

Currently, and into the foreseeable future, the EPA is not a reliable source for environmental information.

This comment is really special coming from a guy that in another part of this thread posted a link to an article that used OPEC, officials in India, and the secretary of state of MA as credible sources pinning the high price of oil on speculators. LOL