Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

Page 11 of 16

Environmentally speaking, there isn't much more the modern coal-fueled facility can do. I haven't seen any SMOKE coming from the stacks around here in decades.
--
:)
JR

Yah OK.

The coal and railroad industry.
Every week, 4-5, ~135 car trainloads of "electricity" pass through my town enroute to Omaha Public Power District's North Omaha generating station.

"Quickly" didn't phase me a bit, but your disclaimer did. What am I missing?
--
:)
JR

"Quickly" can be connected with "licensing", and used to create clutter in the discussion.
dpb wrote:

As simply some background information, while there was a massive release of fission products from Chernobyl, it was _not_ a "nuclear accident" in that there was not a nuclear explosion as in a weapon. The reactor over-heated owing to mis-operation following a turbine overspeed trip test which was conducted in violation of several safety procedures in that all proscribed systems were not operational at the time. Anyway, it was the fire that was the real culprit combined with the atrocious design feature of having no reactor containment building as do all LWRs worldwide. Being a graphite-moderated pile reactor design, when the temperature reached a critical point, the graphite ignited and that fire was the main feature of the accident. At its peak, it was hot enough that it disassociated the H and O in water sprayed on it in attempts to contain it.
This type of accident is not physically realizable in a LWR, either P- or B- type. As they are water-moderated. TMI was a core-melt accidental LOCA (not the double-guillotine design type, but manually induced by operator error(s) following the initial reactor trip and stuck-open PORV). In that event, owing to the design features and the containment, while there was significant fuel melt, containment was not breached and once the fresh shift came on duty and recognized what the previous shift had done wrong and restarted the primary RCPs and HPI to re-cover the core w/ primary coolant and establish primary coolant circulation, the incident was under control.
As noted earlier, if the operating shift had recognized they had an incident that had been specifically addressed in (then) recent bulletins to all utilities of the specific reactor design, they would undoubtedly have not been fooled as they were and taken proper action initially and the whole thing would have been simply a relatively short outage to repair the PORV and implement the upgrades/operational guidances. The upshot is, however, that while expensive, it essentially was a test of the design and systems intended to deal with a LOCA that was as if a full-scale test reactor had been sacrificed to prove the systems adequate to the task.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
MERCIFUL SNIPPAGE

Oddly enough, neither is Long *Island*, but Joe never lets facts get in the way of his fervid delusions.

It would certainly function as a peninsula, in the event of an evacuation. But, you already knew that.

Heck Teddy Kennedy's car has killed more people than nuclear plants, and I have seen the bumper sticker that proves it...(g)
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Go ahead, blame the car.
What about the 2nd Amendment?
No, wait. Nevermind.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Sure.
That's right. Guns don't kill people; bullets kill people. Guns just make 'em go faster. Same deal here. The car didn't kill Mary Jo; water did. The car just got her there faster.

Yeah, you're right...
--
Keith

except the many spent rod holding pools have no containment.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

So what? They can't physically make a nuclear explosive in any configuration as they are insufficiently enriched even before being "burned" in the reactor which only further reduces the enrichment (and adds fission product "poisons").

If, hypothetically, those rods could be ground into the finest powder possible and dumped into a lake that serves as the water supply for 3 million people, what do you suppose would be the results, and I mean PLURAL results? The next day, the next week, the next year. Tell me about the results.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

The people who did the grinding would begin to glow in the dark long before they finished the first rod.
The containment vessels used to move spent rods around weigh, oh, 30 tons and massive equipment is required to mess with this stuff.

The question was not directed at you. It was directed at dpb, who knows what he's talking about.

It's public forum, NetNanny. Get over it.
--
:\
JR

It's true. I've seen footage of the containers being dropped from the 10th floor onto a vertical pike, rammed broadside by a speeding locomotive, driven at 65 mph on the trailer of a semi into a barrier of solid concrete.
Zippo. No breech of containment. The semi was "vaporized" and the massive concrete barrier was pretty scarred, but the nuke container survived virtually unscathed.
But it's not good enough... <sigh>
Did you happen to see the cry-baby, ponytail guy on the History Channel the other night that maintained that such containers are NOT sufficient. An accident could STILL release radiation.
Translation: No matter how well spent nuke fuel is contained, it should not be transported. For that matter, such fuel shouldn't be used in the first place. These are the REAL "flat earth" people. Amazing.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

I know I would be more than comfortable personally driving the semi with those casks to Yucca, especially if I have clearance to drive over any protesters who get in the way.

But, Occifer! My brakes failed. They really did! Hehehehehe!
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

Musta run in front of the truck while I was stirring my coffee, didn't feel a thing, better stop by the truck wash before the goo dries...