Good Water Heater Brands

But now they warn against setting the temp. above 120 degrees F because of the danger of burns/scalds.

A 50 gal gas will give you about 65 gal recov the 1st hour and

Me too.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

The GE water heaters are made by Rheem mfg. in Montgomery, AL

Reply to
KC

That they can do, they use a very large gas burner, 150K BTU or so, and can supply an unlimited amount of hot water. The most annoying downside is that they require a certain minimum flow before they fire up, so you can easily turn the hot water down just a little too far in the shower, heater shuts off, turn it back, heater turns on, and you end up with a slug of icy cold water that goes through the pipe and hits you. Some solve this by installing small electric heaters as buffer tanks at the showers, but this is yet more work for a retrofit.

Reply to
James Sweet

I put one in my mom's house last year, it feels like a well made unit, likely will install one in my place as well when my current one gives up, it's started to leak a tiny bit so I suspect I'll be doing that real soon.

Reply to
James Sweet

I agree - but there is a significant difference between a point of use tankless and a whole house tankless setup. Even with POU, you are talking $150 plus a 30A circuit for each install. That's not a standard bathroom circuit and that's on top of the cost of a standard water heater.

Reply to
Robert Neville

but may require a dedicated vent?

a couple years back that was the case for gas fired ones.. and it's common for both furnace and water heater to share a vent..

Kevin

100 kW is about $216 a year here. The boiler is still using some energy to heat the water to 70. A 1 gpm is not so good for taking a shower so a larger unit is needed there. Then you must wire to each unit and be able to have sufficient power in case they all hit at the same time. Still a pretty long payback. A new install would be far more cost effective compared to a retrofit.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But you need oil lines if they are point of use.

I have oil heat and I'm going with an indirect fired tank. It will be installed in about two weeks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My oil fired boiler will give you all the hot water you cold ever want. When my daughter was living at home, I'd have to turn it off to get her out of the shower.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Scott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uslink.net:

That's 150 for Joe the Plumber and another 235 for the Borg.

Electic is easier type to install. What's a plumber get an hour there? Might be worth just hiring one by the hour unless you have it in a basement with narrow spiral stairs and burried in some obscure area. Even at that, all those Borg installs charge extra for stuff that is not "basic" as they like to call it. In other words, anything beyond a dream piece of cake and requires skill to install is extra.

Reply to
Red Green

Learn to read

Reply to
Claude Hopper

yes, I believe now the trend is to require tempering valves at every point of use (to protect you from yourself.) Me, I just set the WH to

130F and remember not to stick my hand under a faucet when pure hot water is coming out. Works for me and never a cold shower at my house. Have to figure out how to adjust the WH in the garage though as the installer would not set the thermostat for me (and it's electric so it's hidden somewhere. I have literally never used that shower though so it is not such a big issue.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Every one that I've ever seen has the thermostats under cover panels. There's two of them, one upper and one lower.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hey Claude, Why dont you run out to the local supermarket and go buy yourself a big-ol box of "Go Fuck Yourself" Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You sure? How aged?

My AOS (gas) is 15 years old and doing quite well.

You can get a read on the condition of your AOL by inspecting the anode (long metal rod, hex head on top of heater). If it's less than 100% chewed off, you *may* be able to get years more usage by replacing the anode. Mine is badly pitted but intact for its purpose (to draw corrosion).

If AOS still makes them and you really need one, I'd stick with them.

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!" - Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

Reply to
Puddin' Man

=EF=BF=BD

ush, Paulson, etc

messing with a old tanks anode may cause leak, be prepared to replace tank if you try

Reply to
hallerb

I recently replaced a leaking 8 y.o. water heater. (a 6yr guarantee cheapie) When I got it out and looked for the leak spot, it was rusted out at the anode threads. The anode had never been been removed.

Red

Reply to
Red