Good table saw worth it?

I agree with all the comments about getting the best tool within one's budget, etc. There is one more issue that if I were to do it all over again I would go the air tools way for the rest of the hand tools that a handyman will eventually acquire.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

I'll be buying the Bosch before too much longer, so that's really the recommendation I would make. But if the OP wants a decent cheap saw to use for occasional home repairs or projects, the Ryobi should work fine. If the plan is to cut a lot of sheathing, yes, a bigger saw would be nice.

Reply to
TakenEvent

Actually having read through everyone's helpful suggestions I'm wondering if I should skip the tablesaw and head straight for the compound mitre saw. I'll be cutting far for 2x4's, 2x2's, and other such stuff before I rip long panels or boards.

besides, the action on the mitre saw is just soooo cool.

Reply to
Eigenvector

"Eigenvector" wrote

What's wrong with getting them BOTH? I bet you lunch you will end up with both within a year anyway. That one-two combination is sweet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If that is the primary use, yes. go for it. Cutting a few inches off the end of a 2 x 4 is not easy on a table saw, piece of cake on the miter saw. If it is mainly framing type of work, the low end ones will work fine. If you want one of the best, get a DeWalt and it will last a lifetime.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My father was one of the authors responsible for the whole "do it yourself " movement after WWII. He write a ton of those "do your own concrete and masonry" and "1001 projects for outdoor living" books. Dewalt gave him a radial arm saw, figuring it was a good promotion. As the years went by, and my father continued to publish books and articles, Dewalt tried in vain to give him a newer model for his old one.so newer mode;s would appear in photos. He declined. They had switched to a much less stable sheet metal design from the older cast iron saw, and my father wanted no part of it. The original cast iron radial saw (1952?) is still operational in his basement workshop. He is now 94 years old.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Reply to
Husky

From what I've seen at the Depot, and at Sears recently, they are both being made by the same company, probably Emerson Electric. That was one of the vendors Sears used when I worked there, and they made all of the better and "best" versions at that time.

Reply to
Husky

A friend of mine lost his job last year. He bought a $150 portable Ryobi table saw plus he already had the other tools of the trade. He does light remodeling with it. Is making great money. No boss. Can work as often as he wants. Or as little as he wants. The table saw is still going strong, but of course, he's pretty easy on tools. Some people are rough with tools and they thus break more often.

But a more pricier table saw is easier to use. I'd spend the $500 on the better unit, if I were you, and if you can afford it. You'll be more apt to want to build larger, more complicated pieces with it.

Reply to
grappletech

An in-between saw that got a good review in Wood magazine ( I think) was a Ridgid 2420 or something close to that. It came with a collapsable stand too. It received surpringly good reviews for its size. They really liked Ridgids 3650, which I own and really like a lot. The 3650 come with a built in caster system for moving the saw about your shop - great for those of us working in a confined space.

Reply to
C & E