Good small LED flashlights

Page 4 of 4

On 07/08/10 08:42 pm, The Daring Dufas wrote:

About 25 years ago I asked my ophthalmologist about switching to soft lenses. He said, "If you can wear hard lenses, don't switch."
Perce

I remember reading about hard scleral contact lenses that were designed to reshape the cornea to correct vision. Nowadays scleral lenses have been developed for all sorts of treatments of eye problems but I think what I read about back then was concerning the use of the lenses instead of surgery to correct a misshaped cornea. There is all sorts of information on the Internet about the amazing work being done with that type of lens now.
TDD
message

Having worn hard contacts from age 22 until well over 50, I had to resort to glasses for a number of months before LASIK surgery. The reason was just what you are saying: my corneas had reshaped to the inside curve of the hard lenses. Over the 4-5 months, as I recall, waiting, my eyes were tested monthly and it was only when there was no month-to-month change did they proceed with the LASIK. He said my time waiting was unusual and that normally it was less. With soft contacts, even toric ones, it's just a couple weeks as I recall.
Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth

I don't think that matters.

Of course I now need reading glasses, but the more light the better (blue eyes) if I'm reading or need to see anything small. I much prefer reading by halogens than any other light source. Other than fine work and reading, I prefer it to be rather dark. We rarely have lights on in the house.
George wrote:

Well, THAT device wouldn't be worth a damn for lurking!

I have a Dorcy single-AA very compact flashlight that has 3 low-power white LEDs, and it has survived some spectacular abuse. However, that one is switched on/off by a tailcap pushbutton along with some degrees of screwing/unscrewing of the tailcap overriding the tailcap pushbutton switch to force the light to be on or off. However, I do find this flashlight easy to use with one hand due to its small size and its tailcap pushbutton switch.
Brightness - I find it dimmer than a 2-AA incandescent "Mag" light having good batteries, but sufficient for most needs of a flashlight. (I got it in 2008 or 2007, and LEDs have improved after the time that the ones in this flashlight were manufactured.)
And to add - I found this single-AA Dorcy LED flashlight to be extremely able to survive extreme abuse. The one that I have, I tossed to 30 or so feet above pavement, so that it falls 30 or so feet onto pavement. It survived 15-17 of such toss/falls in a beer-fueled abuse test. Although this flashlight is "worse for the wear", I still have it and it still works in all ways that it ever did. I think that it can survive being run over by a Hummer H2, for that matter even an 18-wheeler or a loaded concrete mixer truck!
================================= There are now Mag LED 2-AA and 3-AA flashlights. Regrettably, they lack nice pushbutton switches, but depend on screwing/unscrewing their heads to switch on and off. I find the 2-AA one to be a bit on the dim side, but the 3-AA one to be nice-and-bright. (As of a couple years ago).

If you look on www.ebay.com you can find some examples of suitable lights. I've gotten 2 AA light with tailcap push button switch for about ten bucks. Takes two weeks to arrive from Hong Kong, but perfectly good light.
The "watt" ratings are over stated. My five watt light draws two watts, and my three watt single cell light draws about 0.3 watts. Both perfectly useful lights. The light is slightly blue.
Rechargable cells tend to go dead on their own. They are fine for applications when you can rotate several through a charger, and into the unit. For example, pocket digital camera with high drain flash. For occasional household use, alkalines are the way to go.
Nicads and nickel metal are lower voltage, so the light will be less bright.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 05/07/10 6:54 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:

You realize that the good LED flashlights are not cheap. Here's the best one: "http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11343 ".
Some other 2AA good ones:
"http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14909 " (single mode) "http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15457 " (single mode) "http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19190 " (6 mode)
While you're correct about AAA batteries, the problem is that it's a lot easier to make an LED flashlight that operates off around 3.6-4.5V than it is to make one that operates off 2.4 to 3V, which is why you see so many 3 AAA flashlights for sale. I.e. Costco sells a two-pack of a very good Cree LED flashlight for $20. They have two power levels, a strobe, and an adjustable beam (spot to flood). But they are AAA powered.
Costco also has some good C cell powered Cree LED flashlights, "http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid 500428&searchA5635".
The problem with LED flashlights is that most of them suck. The manufacturer puts in a very low quality, low power, LED (or a bunch of crappy LEDs) and sells the thing for $5 (or in the case of Harbor Freight Tools, even less), but it has a crappy lens and reflector along with the crappy LED. There are some excellent LED flashlights, but the high power comes at a price both in initial cost and in battery life.
SMS wrote:

I'm gonna cut the heads off about three of the HF flashlights, attach them to a track and hook up a 4.5v wall-wart to see if I can't make an economical under-cabinet counter light.
Maybe I can replace the flashlight switch with a magnetic switch to turn on the flashlight when the closet door opens.
We have potential here...
Might need a current limiting resistor. I've not done much work with LED. I'm told that when they heat up, the internal resistance drops to near zero. So, running on D cells will over amp them. The small batteries aren't an issue, the small batteries can't put out enough amps to damage.
Like I say, I've not tried this. But some internet research will help. I love the idea of making under counter lights, or area lights. I also like the idea of make one on three D cells side to side, and use as a night light for power cuts.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Puhleeze! You are feeding my compulsion to drag out of the car and beat the shit out of people with obnoxiously bright headlights. Or those who drive with fog lights on and 50 mile visibility.
You'll probably read about me someday in the newspaper, or on the Internet, most likely, as newspapers are dying.
Is this like penis envy? HEY, LOOK AT THIS! YOU CAN'T GET AWAY! LOOK! LOOK! LOOK!
Steve

I don't know about "good" but I was in Home Depot a few days ago and they had large cards with 15 or 18 of the LED flashlights and batteries for all for about $15 to $18 (worked out @ $1 each). Plenty of spares or Christmas stocking stuffers.
Ronb