Good small LED flashlights

Page 2 of 4

I'm still amazed people are falling for this LED scam. Sure, LEDs have their place and they can used to great effect in certain applications, but completely replacing older incadescent in every way is ludicrous. You see any LED car headlights? Spotlights? Floodlights? Of course not. They just don't have the horsepower.
As for these silly overpriced head band lamps and $150 machined alum AA flashlites, it's all bogus. Sure, they're better than total darkness, but barely. I want some serious candlepower, not yuppie outdoor sportsman chic.
nb

Yeah, but just on Audis--- what do they know?

worth bothering about.

You're living a few years behind the times.

At $10 I don't consider my headband light to be overpriced-- nor at $0 is my collection of HF flashlights.
You're free to use a kerosene lamp if you choose.
Jim

They know how much to stiff you. $5000 pair! I'll take a dozen, don't bother to wrap 'em.

How big a spot? Big enough to light a Bomber at 10,000ft?

I looked up a few LED floodlights. Flood what? A bathroom sink?

Perhaps. I'm not saying LEDs are NOT the future, but the future is not today. Today, I use what I know to work for me, not what marketers tell me works.

As I'm free to use an old fashioned two D-cell flashlight instead of my $30 3 LED headlamp, which currently lies collecting dust cuz the ancient $5 incandescent flashlight is more handy and provides more USABLE light. Likewise, you are free to use whatever you like.
nb
Re: Good small LED flashlights:

+1 on that.

On 7/6/2010 11:20 AM, notbob wrote:

mentioned *anything* about completely replacing everything with LED?
As far as them being bogus I guess all of the military & police and folks like me who use good LED flashlights every day and understand the difference must be clueless?

What is the most used brand on the force, and how much does that light cost? Can they double up as a nightstick like the long MagLites and hold up? Or are they mainly used for close up illumination and paperwork? How far can they throw usable light, and can they be focused down to a small spot like the MagLite? I just ask because my SIL and daughter are PO's and she gave me her MagLite because she didn't like its bigness. I love it. I haven't had to hit anyone with it, though. Yet. All the LED's I have seen throw a halo of light, and not specifically focused down into any small circle. Maybe there are some out there that will do that. Are there? In any case, my dozens of $3 LEDs laying around the house, shop, garage, and cars work nicely, and for bigger than that, I have a 4 D cell floating light that will throw a spot for a long long way. $16, IIRC. One size does not fit all, and different lights work differently. I have a Ray-O-Vac headlamp that has incandescent, LED, and red filter on it. That one really works great, and was $12, IIRC.
Steve

What's that "incandescent, LED, and red filter on it" headlamp?
I used to have the great Ray-O-Vac incandescent headlamp. Literally wore it out after 20 yrs hard use. Now, they no longer make it and it's a crying shame. The good news is, you can still find one (NOS) at Ten Square Racing:
http://tinyurl.com/2awwxe2
The bad news is, they want $30! and it's been modified and no longer includes the battery holster, and end connectors. More good news, though. They rewired it for the rigors of sled racing and you can still get screw connector 6V lantern batteries (TrueValueHardware). You can also get a Krypton bulb for it. This is the same headlight used by Lance Mackey to win the Iditarod Dog Sled Race the last four years running.
I jes bought a one. Love it! Incandescent ain't dead yet. ;)
nb
The mag original LED are expensive, but very effective. The lights retail about $30. I caught a sale, and bought two, which run on 3D cells. Brighter and whiter than the 3D Garrrity they replaced. I'm not sure if the Mag LED bulbs break, on impact. I had a filament Mag bulb go sideways when I dropped it in a parking lot. The light still worked, but the light pattern was a bit strange.
Nite Ize, and Garrity replacement LED bulbs emit blue fog sort-of light.
Other than Mag original, I find LED to be useful as close range light.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 7/6/2010 12:49 PM, Steve B wrote:

painting it would be very clear to you that a Harbor Freight brush just isn't the same as say a Purdy.
Its pretty much the same thing with technology stuff. I am not big on wasting money and I don't need to be the first on my block with something. But I do appreciate good tools. A Harbor Freight flashlight is a novelty item when you compare it with a quality flashlight. I don't need to keep dozens of flashlights around and I don't need to put my Bat Belt on when going out because it is nice and small but very effective.

Good tools are good tools. Some are inexpensive, and some are very expensive for the same type of tool. A lot has to do with the craftsman. A hammer is a hammer, and a screwdriver is a screwdriver, until the craftsman takes it to a level of use where there are obvious differences in the level of the tool. But many never approach that level of craftsmanship.
There are some people who would pay lots of money for a fountain pen, and then there are websites where the prices are so high that they do not even quote them on the Internet:
http://www.montblanc.com/products/precious_gold_metals_solid_gold.02246.php
I personally see limits for the amount I spend on a fountain pen (does anyone use them any more) and flashlights. No matter what the item, someone can come up with the argument that because theirs cost more it MUST be better, and do a better job.
Steve
On 07/06/10 06:57 pm, Steve B wrote:

That argument seems to work for the people who believe that the USA has the best health-care system in the world: "It costs so much that..."
Perce
On 7/6/2010 6:57 PM, Steve B wrote:

belt holster all of the time, it is reliable, it has a good even beam pattern, it has multiple intensities, it gets great battery life, it has even output because of the current regulator and so far it has cost $13/year and falling. If you buy one you will wonder why you didn't buy one earlier.
As I mentioned before, it is a small form factor so I can carry it in a

What brand is that? I think I need one. ;-)
Steve

Yeah, the Police!! There's a good example.
Are those the same police that went from a single flashing red light to what now amounts to a blinding carnival of lights on top of their patrol car, none of which, judging by the total candlepower generated, is even remotely LED driven. Holy Christ! Those lightbars are generating enough lumens to signal Pluto and cause more accidents than they prevent. Drive by any accident site, late at night, with more than two black n' whites present, and it's safer to stare directly into the sun!
Is this the same Military that went from the .308 NATO round to a prairie dog cartridge and dumped the venerable Colt 1911 in favor of an Italian wienie gun? The same military that has GIs begging to bring back the M14 and buying .45 autos with their own money rather than get stuck defending themselves with an LED sized bullet?
nb
notbob wrote:

You are not joking either. I find passing them quite difficult and potentially dangerous.
Don't get me on those xenon 'fings. I'd love to poke a walking stick through every one of those that I come across!
I just cannot understand why they are allowed. Fuck you, I'm alright seems to be the mentality.
Re: Good small LED flashlights:

Yes, that's the one.

On 7/6/2010 1:03 PM, notbob wrote:

Maybe you haven't kept up with LED technology. All of those new lighting systems you see on emergency vehicles are LED. They are small, take very low average power, require simple circuitry since high voltage is not required as in strobe lights.

Got it, you don't like anything you aren't familiar with and will just launch into an endless "see how about this other thing" whenever someone tries to offer you some information.

Site.
Got it, you don't pay attention to what I actually said, but would rather make erroneous judgements based on your own assumptions.
nb

Check this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch
#!v=NkkU0UO3sek&feature=related

Hilarious!
I like this one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?vyAw8nH9IrM

Let's see your El-EE-DEE flashlight do that! ;)
nb