Good Replacement for older, T-12 96 inch light bulbs ??

I have a four-bank system of 96 inch light bulbs in my kitchen dropped ceiling, with each bank having its own old-style oil-based ballast. These are 60 watt bulbs.
I have read some about the newer, electronic ballasts, and I can see their advantage. I see common comments about T-8 bulbs , to replace T-12's.
Most of what I read about T-8 bulbs, say that they replace the T-12, with a bi-pin base. But, the bulbs that I have now (the T-12) don't have a bi-pin base, they have a bigger, single pin base, about the size of a pencil eraser.
I have several questions:
1. Is there a T-8 bulb that is rated at 60 watts??
2. Do they make the T-8 in the 96 inch size?
3. Is there a T-8 with the type of base that I have described (not bi-pin), so that I could use my existing fixtures ??
4. My goals are to get equally good or better lighting in my kitchen (I now use a total of 8 60 watt bulbs); have better, quieter, longer lasting ballasts; and have longer lasting bulbs.
5. Any othe words of advice about what I should use if I want to improve this lighting system ??
----------------
Thanks for any advice !!
--james---
James wrote:

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Greetings,
You might be able to realize some of the benefits with much less work just by switching to these 59W T8 long life (15000 hr) single pin bulbs.
http://tinyurl.com/9msr4
Hope this helps, William
F96 T8 slimline lamps and electronic ballasts are made and could be installed in your existing fixture. I'm sure you can get them at an electrical supply

Thanks, William and RBM. This is good info, and I will look into it.
I welcome any other input.
--James--
In addition to what others have said, I suggest that you give the reflector covers a good cleaning if you haven't done so already. The heat from the ballasts and lamps draw dust to the covers where it collects for years and reduces light output. It is possible that the plastic tiles in the ceiling have discolored or are also dirty. You might want to change them.

replying to James, Sid in Sacramento wrote:

The cheaper the ballast, the noisier they are. If you really want to save money, and if your lights are in an enclosed space with frosted plastic cover, you might want to look at LED lights to put in place of the tubes ? MHO