Good quality screw drivers that don't smell?

Page 2 of 3

?????
Do you have Craftsman tools or Xcelite tools? Xcelite is not a type of plastic, it's a brand name. While Xcelite screwdriver handles do not have any inherent odor, that I recall, some of their containers definitely did. Casein plastic is often made from organic proteins and often stinks like sour milk. Xcelite interchangeable screw/nut/allen driver sets used to come in casein plastic boxes. Ooo-eee! Definitely stinky. ;)
nb

I guess I confused xcelite as the name of the plastic.
However, if you search "xcelite puke" you'd find that you're lucky your xcetite tools don't smell.

It's not the driver handles, it's the case they came in. And this was only one type of case. It was the single handle w/ changable drivers in a 2 part top/bottom case, the bottom being black plastic and the top being tranparent casein plastic. The top came off and the black bottom held the handle/drivers vertically. These were later replaced with clamshell style cases made of polystyrene (I think). The casein cased drivers stank cuz they were in the case all the time. Removing the drivers from the case would allow the smell to eventually fade from the handles.
Looking at their catalog, I see none of these driver sets offered in the older casein plastic set boxes. I guess customers made a big enough stink (pun intended) to get them changed.
I never thought of it as a puke smell, jes a sour milk smell, as milk is often the protein used to make casein plastic. It's rare to even run across casein plastic, anymore, but you'll know it when you do! ;)
nb
--
vi ...the root of evil

notbob wrote:

I have a buddy who's dad was a heavy drinker. When he was growing up he swore his dad was throwing-up in the toolbox, and confronted him on it many times!

LOL Good one. They should put that in a movie, but hardly anybody would get the joke.
--Vic
bob wrote:

Hmmm, In my working days my tool box was Xcelite brand which contained 3G worth of stuffs. Old Craftsman made by Singer was real tool.

You do know that Craftsman makes nothing? Xcelite made many tools for Craftsman. Is it a wonder they smell like XCelite tools?

Wrong.
You have it backwards. It was the handles of the tools that made the box stink.

I ordered these things by the hundreds for our manufacturing dept and the boxes typically got tossed. No stink. Years later, I have two sets in my roll away, minus the boxes. No stink. Believe what you like.
nb

You have a long history here of believing what you want rather than the facts of the case. Xcelite screwdrivers used handles made of cellulose butyrate, which is the source of the rancid puke smell. It's *NOT* the box, though the box may keep them from "airing out". Try a Google search if you need more convincing. You won't do it, but...

Show me one fact.
The web has only anecdotal evidence, which I can provide plenty of. My primary evidence is, neither my Xcelite screw/allen driver handles nor my Craftsmen nutdriver handles have any detectable odor, whatsoever.
Perhaps if you quit shoving yer screwdrivers up yer ass....
nb
--
vi ...the root of evil

...and *YOUR* anecdotal evidence beats the statements of fact! (composition of the handles).

Bullshit.
...and you don't like anecdotal evidence! What a moron.
Perhaps you could learn how to do a Google search and filter out the raw opinion? Nah, I shuda known that would be beyond your capabilities.

What a moron.

These are most likely mid 80s, early 90s Excelite screwdrivers (Exsmellite as we called them) . I bet they were also the vendor for Craftsman for that time.
Nothing seems to make that smell go away.
There products before and after that era seem OK.

Maybe. Leave them outside in the sun for a while. Repeat as necessary. Drill vent holes in the box.

SnapOn, Matco and Mac tools. I've used, and still have dozens of various types used in 40 years of DIY, auto wrenching, et al. Never, ever had an odor problem. You get what you pay for in any pro tool line.
Joe
On 6/5/2011 1:11 AM, bob wrote:

Snap on.
--
Steve Barker
bob wrote:

At the other end of the spectrum, http://www.dollartree.com/cleaning-storage-hardware/Household-Supplies/tools-tapes-adhesives/212c309c263/index.cat?index=0 Two screw drivers for a dollar, one a standard the other No2 Phillips. For when ur neighbor wants to borrow a screw driver...... and works for 95% of what you need when you need screw driver. For the trophy tool dudes and those that make their living with hand tools, http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/search_keyword.asp?keyword=screwdriver and if the smell really bothers ya, http://www.bestgrowlights.com/airpurificationandodorcontrol/airsanitizersanddeodorizers?gclid=COGrq5rcn6kCFYhM2godHmhevQ maybe a box of Arm and Hammer in the old tool box ....
On 6/5/11 1:11 AM, bob wrote:

Have you looked at the yellow handled NAPA screwdrivers? They're spendy but good. I can't speak to the odor issue. My tool boxes generally don't stay closed for more than a couple days at a time.

I am not sure how you would neutralize butyrate plastic stink but fwiw the Ace hardware brand hold up pretty good and don't seem to stink.
On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:53:47 -0700 (PDT), beecrofter

Only time I recall that stink was back in the '80's with Craftsman screwdrivers kept in a closed toobox. Screwdrivers were pretty new. Only noticed it if they sat a while in the closed box. Still got some of them and they don't stink. Handles have hardened up. And I have newer Craftsman screwdrivers that never stunk, but I've taken to keeping my screwdrivers on a rack, so they never sit in a toolbox for long. Never noticed the stink getting on my hands, but I usually wash my hands after doing some work. Don't usually sniff my fingers after grabbing a screwdriver. Those were the only screwdrivers that caused my toolbox to stink, and somebody here said they went to a different plastic. So probably no screwdrivers stink nowadays. I always look at the tip quality and shank length and don't pay much attention to the handles anyway, as long as they aren't some weird shape.
--Vic

REAL screwdrivers always had wooden handles with a metal ferrel right above the shaft. Go back to the real thing and they wont stink.

not true the smell of paint may stink to some.
just lay your screwdrivers in the sun for a week, and use them enough so the box is generally open. wiping down with fantastic or formula 409 may help too. and dont be a wimp, workers using tools shouldnt be bothered by off odors