Good quality screw drivers that don't smell?

Kmart sears management sold off ALL THEIR NON RETAIL assets to pay down debt. Gone allstate insurance. NTB, sears card credit operation, craftsman and i think kenmore got sold off too.

sears used the non retail assets to keep their company going during economic hard times.

well the economy sucks and sears doesnt have their safety net......

bad planning if you ask me

Reply to
bob haller

Snap on.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I ordered these things by the hundreds for our manufacturing dept and the boxes typically got tossed. No stink. Years later, I have two sets in my roll away, minus the boxes. No stink. Believe what you like.

nb

Reply to
notbob

You have a long history here of believing what you want rather than the facts of the case. Xcelite screwdrivers used handles made of cellulose butyrate, which is the source of the rancid puke smell. It's *NOT* the box, though the box may keep them from "airing out". Try a Google search if you need more convincing. You won't do it, but...

Reply to
krw

On 6/5/2011 2:10 PM, bob haller wrote: ...

Sears might be interested in hearing that...

Might want to do at least a _little_ checking before spouting...

--

Reply to
dpb

How can they sell off a brand name when they don't even make the products under that brand. Sears does not make anything.

Reply to
willshak

At the other end of the spectrum,

Two screw drivers for a dollar, one a standard the other No2 Phillips. For when ur neighbor wants to borrow a screw driver...... and works for 95% of what you need when you need screw driver. For the trophy tool dudes and those that make their living with hand tools,
and if the smell really bothers ya,
maybe a box of Arm and Hammer in the old tool box ....

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

Show me one fact.

The web has only anecdotal evidence, which I can provide plenty of. My primary evidence is, neither my Xcelite screw/allen driver handles nor my Craftsmen nutdriver handles have any detectable odor, whatsoever.

Perhaps if you quit shoving yer screwdrivers up yer ass....

nb

Reply to
notbob

SEARS HOLDINGS no longer owns the brand, they sold the brand to raise money.

The brand lives on owned by another company, SEARS is a licensee of the craftsman name.

The actual production of tools was always contracted out to companies in the tool business.

few companies do it all......

Reply to
bob haller

.

they sold off the rights to the craftsman name and bought a license agreement to see the tools.

basic dealer realtionship.

take kenmore appliances, there never was a kenmore stove production plant.

Sears kenmore would spec what features they want in the XXX model stove, and put production out for bid.

winner builds the whatever and this keeps costs down

Reply to
bob haller

...and *YOUR* anecdotal evidence beats the statements of fact! (composition of the handles).

Bullshit.

...and you don't like anecdotal evidence! What a moron.

Perhaps you could learn how to do a Google search and filter out the raw opinion? Nah, I shuda known that would be beyond your capabilities.

What a moron.

Reply to
krw

Have you looked at the yellow handled NAPA screwdrivers? They're spendy but good. I can't speak to the odor issue. My tool boxes generally don't stay closed for more than a couple days at a time.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I am not sure how you would neutralize butyrate plastic stink but fwiw the Ace hardware brand hold up pretty good and don't seem to stink.

Reply to
beecrofter

Only time I recall that stink was back in the '80's with Craftsman screwdrivers kept in a closed toobox. Screwdrivers were pretty new. Only noticed it if they sat a while in the closed box. Still got some of them and they don't stink. Handles have hardened up. And I have newer Craftsman screwdrivers that never stunk, but I've taken to keeping my screwdrivers on a rack, so they never sit in a toolbox for long. Never noticed the stink getting on my hands, but I usually wash my hands after doing some work. Don't usually sniff my fingers after grabbing a screwdriver. Those were the only screwdrivers that caused my toolbox to stink, and somebody here said they went to a different plastic. So probably no screwdrivers stink nowadays. I always look at the tip quality and shank length and don't pay much attention to the handles anyway, as long as they aren't some weird shape.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

REAL screwdrivers always had wooden handles with a metal ferrel right above the shaft. Go back to the real thing and they wont stink.

Reply to
jw

Does it smell like vomit?

I dunno.

I like Klein brand.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I have a buddy who's dad was a heavy drinker. When he was growing up he swore his dad was throwing-up in the toolbox, and confronted him on it many times!

Reply to
G. Morgan

not true the smell of paint may stink to some.

just lay your screwdrivers in the sun for a week, and use them enough so the box is generally open. wiping down with fantastic or formula

409 may help too. and dont be a wimp, workers using tools shouldnt be bothered by off odors
Reply to
bob haller

Cite please.

Reply to
willshak

LOL Good one. They should put that in a movie, but hardly anybody would get the joke.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith