good porcelain

My BIL routinely treated his toilet for mineral stains with diluted CLR (phosphoric and oxalic acid). Now it's pitted. A wet pumice stone has long been recommended as a safe way to remove mineral stains from porcelain, but I've read that it can ruin some toilets.

Are there different qualities of porcelain for toilets, sinks, and tubs? Are there some that can't be cleaned safely? How can you tell if you're buying a good one?

I've read that bathtubs can be restored. Are some methods better than others? Do any work on toilets?

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Most tubs are given an epoxy type coating in the home for restoration. Tubs are coated, toilets are porcelain clay with a glaze. Anything that can clean the mineral stains can also damage the "glass" coating or glaze. You can probably buy a new toilet for about the cost of restoration if it could be done.

Best is to invest in a water softener and eliminate the minerals.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski