Good phillips driver bit

Page 3 of 4
In spewed forth:

I;ve had good luck with Bosch bits
Add pictures here
βœ–

Some are good but I haven't been happy with their Torx bits.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Do you REALLY believe Phillips was "designed" to camout? what gave you that idea?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I don't know whether it's really true or not, but that seems to be the accepted story.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillips_screwdriver#Phillips
Phillips Phillips drive tool and fastener sizes[3] Tool size Fastener size 0 0–1 1 2–4 2 5–9 3 10–16 4 18–24 Created by Henry F. Phillips, the Phillips screw drive was purposely designed to cam out when the screw stalled, to prevent the fastener damaging the work or the head, instead damaging the driver. This was caused by the relative difficulty in building torque limiting into the early drivers.
The American Screw Company was responsible for devising a means of manufacturing the screw, and successfully patented and licensed their method; other screw makers of the 1930s dismissed the Phillips concept because it calls for a relatively complex recessed socket shape in the head of the screw — as distinct from the simple milled slot of a slotted type screw.
There are five relatively common (and two rather uncommon) Phillips drive sizes that are different from the screw size; they are designated 000, 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 (increasing in size).[3][5]
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 7/18/2011 9:32 AM, N8N wrote:
in

Maybe. But the patent http://www.google.com/patents?id=MINJAAAAEBAJ&printsec «stract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&fϊlse which is reference by the wiki article doesn't claim the "cam out" feature.
The biggest single "consumer" of Philips screws and bits is the "drywall" industry. Many of these drivers seem to use "cam out" to control penetration.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 23:47:58 -0400, John Gilmer

in
screw. When that depth is reached, the "clutch" disengages - not a "cam-out" function at all. Otherwize you could just use a drill with a $0.99 philips bit to hang drywall.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You can't be serious. A device that actually sets the depth the screw can penetrate, then contacts the drywall, and automatically disengage the bit?
Preposterous.
Steve ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not at all. A clutch head driver:
http://tinyurl.com/3osp28v
They make 'em fer electric/air/hand powered tools for many different fastener types.
I don't know about setting depth. That's pretty much the function of the screw length. But, definitely will disengage the bit when screw bottoms out and/or reaches a specific torque setting. My first experience was with an air clutch head driver for self-tapping hex/flange sheet metal screws. Suckers would drive into 1/8" steel like soft butter, then the bit would disengage when bottomed out.
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–

psssssssssst ............. look for the ;-) Anyone who doesn't know about a depth setting drywall screw driver is a sure newbie.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 7/19/2011 8:01 PM, Steve B wrote:

Some people are humor and irony impaired, they often don't know when you're pulling their leg. I run into it a lot with my Evangelical Southern Baptist cousins, Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks and um, ....(me ducks behind immovable object)......er,.......... women. :-)
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Daring Dufas wrote:

There are a lot of "satire impaired," too.
I see it on this newsgroup with almost every post I make.
--
Baptist story:
I once dated a lady whose sister and brother-in-law were Baptist
On 7/19/2011 10:00 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I have them all in my family. One of my cousins on my father's branch of the tree is a fairly well known Southern Baptist evangelist. He once asked my mother if she was in The Mafia because Mom is from The Italian side of the family. I even have Jewish cousins which is why I consider everyone to my cousin.
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's all about market share.
βœ–

That was a *joke*, son. [and *that's* Foghorn Leghorn]
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 18:09:36 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

in
This sort cam out when the depth is reached:
http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/prod_2235/drill-and-driver-bits/driver-bit-holders/silverline-drywall-driver-bit-phillips-no-2-screws.html

Do it all the time. It's not something I'd do when hanging multiple sheets, though.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Like I said, here we go again...

It was designed to cam out before breaking the screw. DAGS.
Add pictures here
βœ–

What horsecrap.
It was developed to reduce assembly time on mass production assembly lines. The worker with driver tool only requires a quarter turn to align for engagement instead of up to a half turn. A phillips fastener is also self centering. This not to say phillips fasteners can't cam out, but so can straight slot fasteners. If the proper tool is used, there's no reason for a phillips fasteners to cam out.
Here's the DAGS you obviously didn't do.
http://www.phillips-screw.com/history_about_phillips.htm
nb
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wrong, as usual, NutJob.

Half of the story.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The only thing that's "as usual" is your resorting to name calling when you have no information to contribute.

Which is more of "the story" than you provided, which is none at all.
In fact, why do you even post to this group? It's obvious you know almost nothing about almost everything.
nutjob (for even responding)
Add pictures here
βœ–

If only you would hold yourself to the same standard...

You're a damned liar. I've posted the same information that others posted (before I had the chance to) *several* times in similar threads. I *did* tell you where to find it for yourself.

I know you, unfortunately, NutHob.

You finally looked in a mirror.
Add pictures here
βœ–