Good phillips driver bit

Yepper. I have some 20-30 year old VA stuff that isn't too bad, about equal to Stanley mass-market stuff of the time. Good enough for kitchen-drawer tools, basically. Their recent stuff (sadly just like Stanley in the big-boxes), is vanilla China-made crap.

Unless you look for brands that are marketed to tradesmen (Klein, et al), brands don't mean much anymore. I shy away from tools sealed in those damn plastic hang cards- I need to turn it over in my hands and see if it feels right, and let my fingertips tell me the build quality.

Reply to
aemeijers

Not at all. A clutch head driver:

They make 'em fer electric/air/hand powered tools for many different fastener types.

I don't know about setting depth. That's pretty much the function of the screw length. But, definitely will disengage the bit when screw bottoms out and/or reaches a specific torque setting. My first experience was with an air clutch head driver for self-tapping hex/flange sheet metal screws. Suckers would drive into 1/8" steel like soft butter, then the bit would disengage when bottomed out.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Try this:

As it turns out the latest HD batch doesn't have the ribbed tip, so I'm not sure where I picked them up.

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

psssssssssst ............. look for the ;-) Anyone who doesn't know about a depth setting drywall screw driver is a sure newbie.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This sort cam out when the depth is reached:

Do it all the time. It's not something I'd do when hanging multiple sheets, though.

Reply to
krw

What a liar.

Reply to
krw

I was complaining about my Phillips the other day at work while removing a large panel with nearly 100 screws. I stole the bit out of the impact driver , the kind you hit with a hammer, and it worked great. Seems its well tempered and hollow ground to grip the screw.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Some people are humor and irony impaired, they often don't know when you're pulling their leg. I run into it a lot with my Evangelical Southern Baptist cousins, Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks and um, ....(me ducks behind immovable object)......er,.......... women. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I remember back in the middle of the last century when a man could be sure that any tool he bought from Sears was the best in quality and had the best warranty. :-(

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

There are a lot of "satire impaired," too.

I see it on this newsgroup with almost every post I make.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sears sent out an email for a "sale" on top of their normal sales last weekend (and extra 15% off sale prices). I still like some of their mechanics tools, so dropped by Sunday to pick up a few things (I could use a decent metric combination set). Not only had they heard nothing of any sale, the set I picked didn't even ring up at the price on the end-cap. I walked out, after giving the clerk a piece of my mind. When I got home I added a spam filter for all future email from Sears. It's really no wonder they're going down the tubes.

Reply to
krw

I have them all in my family. One of my cousins on my father's branch of the tree is a fairly well known Southern Baptist evangelist. He once asked my mother if she was in The Mafia because Mom is from The Italian side of the family. I even have Jewish cousins which is why I consider everyone to my cousin.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I remember a time when a customer service oriented salesperson at Sears would go above and beyond to get an answer for you if something didn't jive. The salesperson would call a manager and in fact make several calls for any customer to get an answer if a sale caught them by surprise. With the dumbing down of our citizens which started in the government schools, we're now starting to pay the price as the damaged children grow into adulthood and enter the work force. Of course, there is always that asinine Affirmative Action and quota hiring which turned me off to trying to get a job in corporate America so long ago. :-(

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes, Sears did the same to me and the webmaster made a big point of saying Sears.com is different than the Sears in the mall. I told him - you like being Sears when it helps you, but not when it doesn't. That means you're all the same to me: worthless.

Do they really think customers care how they've set up their business units? Same crap Verizon and Verizon Wireless try to pull. Don't want to pay for each other's sins? Change your name to "Assfuc&er Wireless" and give people a real clue as to your wireless unit's business ethics.

After 20 years I was *about* to become a Sears customer again but the BS level was high and deep. The staff fell all over themselves to be completely unhelpful. You have to work hard to build that kind of uselessness in as a basic function.

BTW, what drove me away 20+ years ago (could be 30!) was some asswipe mechanic stripping all my lugs nuts and bolts on one wheel and trying to sell me new ones when in fact she had never taken the tool out of the tighten mode, as I showed the manager. What did I get for my trouble? A dirty look even when all the bolts from the other three tires came off with no incident. They had hired someone too stupid to unmount a tire correctly and gave ME the stinkeye because I was demanding 'free' lug bolts.

Never went back since. I exchanged quite a few promptly answered and totally unhelpful emails with their webmaster with progressively more inane comments until I, too, had to block Sears. I guess I should go to get a new replacement hose for the 25 year old one leaky one. Probably should do that soon, before they go out of business. That can't be far off with the staff of "Happy to NOT help you" clowns they've got in there now. A smart business would have a flag in their database indicating "former good customer - at least TRY to win them back."

I had planned to take the printout of the sale item to the store because it had no indication that it wasn't available everywhere but I figured they must being pissing people off like this on purpose so I didn't waste the trip. Thanks for confirming what they most certainly had in mind for me, too.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

This email was for in-store purchases.

Well, Verizon and VZW are completely separate companies.

They'll not get another chance.

You're lucky they didn't break the lugs. Costco forgot to tighten the lug nuts once. SWMBO gets pissed when she sees her wheel pass her. Fortunately, she'd just pulled off an Interstate onto side roads. Half the lugs (the other half were badly mangled) were broken and I had to have the car taken away on a flat-bed.

When hell freezes over.

Reply to
krw

Eggzackly!

Last night I tried to return a book to Sams (without a receipt). No problemo, "$17.77" said the clerk.

"No," said I. "$20.67".

"The computer says "$17.77" came the retort.

"Standby" I volunteered. I went to the book rack and picked up another copy of the book. Sure enough, the sticker said $17.77. Back to the returns desk.

"You and the computer are correct. For today. But I paid $20.67 two weeks ago and I insist on $20.67 today."

"$17.77, and that's my final offer."

"Look, it's obvious I'm a customer. It's obvious this book CAME from here, it has your sticker on it. If you believe those two things, why are you having a difficulty believing the price printed right on the sticker?"

"You need the receipt."

I left with my original book. I'll return in a few days with the receipt and cause all manner of embarrassment (for them, not me).

Reply to
HeyBub

That was a *joke*, son. [and *that's* Foghorn Leghorn]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

It's all about market share.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

doesn't K-Mart own it?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yeah, but it ain't called K-mart any more. When the guppy swallowed the whale, they assumed the whale's name. Sorta like SBC did when they bought out ATT. (Only Baby Bell left in the wild is the one out west. Pretty soon it'll be like Judge Green never happened.)

Messrs. Sears, Roebuck, and Kresge must be spinning in their graves.

Reply to
aemeijers