Good phillips driver bit

Page 2 of 4

I'm not a professional, either. I find VA products to be worse than HF.

They've made junk for a long time.
On 7/19/2011 7:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yepper. I have some 20-30 year old VA stuff that isn't too bad, about equal to Stanley mass-market stuff of the time. Good enough for kitchen-drawer tools, basically. Their recent stuff (sadly just like Stanley in the big-boxes), is vanilla China-made crap.
Unless you look for brands that are marketed to tradesmen (Klein, et al), brands don't mean much anymore. I shy away from tools sealed in those damn plastic hang cards- I need to turn it over in my hands and see if it feels right, and let my fingertips tell me the build quality.
--
aem sends...

On 7/19/2011 7:30 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I remember back in the middle of the last century when a man could be sure that any tool he bought from Sears was the best in quality and had the best warranty. :-(
TDD
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 21:00:49 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Sears sent out an email for a "sale" on top of their normal sales last weekend (and extra 15% off sale prices). I still like some of their mechanics tools, so dropped by Sunday to pick up a few things (I could use a decent metric combination set). Not only had they heard nothing of any sale, the set I picked didn't even ring up at the price on the end-cap. I walked out, after giving the clerk a piece of my mind. When I got home I added a spam filter for all future email from Sears. It's really no wonder they're going down the tubes.
On 7/19/2011 10:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I remember a time when a customer service oriented salesperson at Sears would go above and beyond to get an answer for you if something didn't jive. The salesperson would call a manager and in fact make several calls for any customer to get an answer if a sale caught them by surprise. With the dumbing down of our citizens which started in the government schools, we're now starting to pay the price as the damaged children grow into adulthood and enter the work force. Of course, there is always that asinine Affirmative Action and quota hiring which turned me off to trying to get a job in corporate America so long ago. :-(
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Eggzackly!
Last night I tried to return a book to Sams (without a receipt). No problemo, "$17.77" said the clerk.
"No," said I. "$20.67".
"The computer says "$17.77" came the retort.
"Standby" I volunteered. I went to the book rack and picked up another copy of the book. Sure enough, the sticker said $17.77. Back to the returns desk.
"You and the computer are correct. For today. But I paid $20.67 two weeks ago and I insist on $20.67 today."
"$17.77, and that's my final offer."
"Look, it's obvious I'm a customer. It's obvious this book CAME from here, it has your sticker on it. If you believe those two things, why are you having a difficulty believing the price printed right on the sticker?"
"You need the receipt."
I left with my original book. I'll return in a few days with the receipt and cause all manner of embarrassment (for them, not me).
<stuff snipped>

weekend
tools,
after
filter
the
Yes, Sears did the same to me and the webmaster made a big point of saying Sears.com is different than the Sears in the mall. I told him - you like being Sears when it helps you, but not when it doesn't. That means you're all the same to me: worthless.
Do they really think customers care how they've set up their business units? Same crap Verizon and Verizon Wireless try to pull. Don't want to pay for each other's sins? Change your name to "Assfuc&er Wireless" and give people a real clue as to your wireless unit's business ethics.
After 20 years I was *about* to become a Sears customer again but the BS level was high and deep. The staff fell all over themselves to be completely unhelpful. You have to work hard to build that kind of uselessness in as a basic function.
BTW, what drove me away 20+ years ago (could be 30!) was some asswipe mechanic stripping all my lugs nuts and bolts on one wheel and trying to sell me new ones when in fact she had never taken the tool out of the tighten mode, as I showed the manager. What did I get for my trouble? A dirty look even when all the bolts from the other three tires came off with no incident. They had hired someone too stupid to unmount a tire correctly and gave ME the stinkeye because I was demanding 'free' lug bolts.
Never went back since. I exchanged quite a few promptly answered and totally unhelpful emails with their webmaster with progressively more inane comments until I, too, had to block Sears. I guess I should go to get a new replacement hose for the 25 year old one leaky one. Probably should do that soon, before they go out of business. That can't be far off with the staff of "Happy to NOT help you" clowns they've got in there now. A smart business would have a flag in their database indicating "former good customer - at least TRY to win them back."
I had planned to take the printout of the sale item to the store because it had no indication that it wasn't available everywhere but I figured they must being pissing people off like this on purpose so I didn't waste the trip. Thanks for confirming what they most certainly had in mind for me, too.
-- Bobby G.
On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 05:32:43 -0400, "Robert Green"

This email was for in-store purchases.

Well, Verizon and VZW are completely separate companies.

They'll not get another chance.

You're lucky they didn't break the lugs. Costco forgot to tighten the lug nuts once. SWMBO gets pissed when she sees her wheel pass her. Fortunately, she'd just pulled off an Interstate onto side roads. Half the lugs (the other half were badly mangled) were broken and I had to have the car taken away on a flat-bed.

When hell freezes over.

snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz posted for all of us...

The comedian Ron White has a story and lawsuit about the "Sears Tire Technicians"
--
Tekkie

On Jul 20, 7:57am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Funny, I think Verizon (wired) is about as useless as a company could be and that's why I don't have VZW as my wireless carrier.
I guess the worthlessness goes both ways?
nate

doesn't K-Mart own it?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 7/20/2011 9:11 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

Yeah, but it ain't called K-mart any more. When the guppy swallowed the whale, they assumed the whale's name. Sorta like SBC did when they bought out ATT. (Only Baby Bell left in the wild is the one out west. Pretty soon it'll be like Judge Green never happened.)
Messrs. Sears, Roebuck, and Kresge must be spinning in their graves.
--
aem sends...

The Henchman posted for all of us...

You were given the answer! McFeelys. Cost more because they aren't junk and don't work like junk. My time and appendages are worth more than junk.
--
Tekkie

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 20:58:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I gave up on cheap tools long ago. I will buy throw-aways from HF but if I plan to use a tool more than once I buy a good one. I learned that it only hurts once. If I can't afford a tool, I'll wait until I can.

I have found that the shape has a lot to do with it. Upon close examination of bits, they range from very pointy, to mushroom looking, with the tip ground off, to other varieties. It all depends on the exact screw to be used. A good match between screw and head is a combination that is plain common sense.
I have used, and have found, slightly mushroom shaped head tips that have the pointy tip missing. This seems to allow for the bit to turn the screw without it having to be lined exactly up. I have also noticed, and used, tips that had small notches across the edges. These seemed to be made of a type of metal that lasted longer than the others. They seemed to grip better, too.
Anyone know any brand names of these?
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Ribbed tip to enhance your screwing pleasure:
http://www.vermontamerican.com/Products/productdetail.html?CID 7
I get these at HD in a dispenser pack.
Last much longer and grip better than Dewalt.

Couldn't get the link to work, but sounds like what I'm talking about.
I need to organize my tips. I've bought several of those multi tip things, and except for about three of them, they all get thrown into a drawer, and the organizers go to wherever mismatched socks go. They are like my drillbits. I must have a couple of hundred of them, mostly all dull. Better since I got a Drill Doctor 750. But there are lots and lots and lots of different tips, and even sizes within those tips. For the most part, a guy just needs a good hardened ribbed tip like these for 95% of his screwing. I like those prelubricated latex ones for the other 4%. Then there's those really weird fasteners that I use once every three years for the other 1%.
Steve ;-)
Steve B wrote:

Try this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vermont-American-16492-Icebit-Insert-Bits-/120751236148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1d55a434
As it turns out the latest HD batch doesn't have the ribbed tip, so I'm not sure where I picked them up.
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:34:59 -0700, "Steve B"

Sounds like Pozi-Driv

I'll look. I'm tired of those 88 cent ones that break or strip after a day's use.
Steve