Good phillips driver bit

Page 1 of 4
I've asked before and got no good answer. Doesn't ANYBODY make a good quality hardened phillips driver bit for power drivers for screwing phillips head deck, etc, screws? These pieces of crap they sell for $.75-1.00 ea on lumberyard checkout counters, where you grab a handfull like promo popcorn cuz they're cheap Chinese shit, and most ppl have settled for this absurd scenario. Why!?
I'd gladly pay $5-10 for a single bit that would last longer than a hundred screws before it's useless garbage and I gotta reach for new one like it was consumable sandpaper. Why do ppl pay hundreds for quality power tools then settle for 88 cent table bits!? It's insane!
nb

I buy the boxes of DeWalt's and have pretty good luck. But I'm moving to square drive from McFeely's and buying their bits. That and an impact driver makes a world of difference.
Jim

That pretty much says it all.
nb

try "RacKies" from "Rack A Tiers" brand.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

It only took you guys 100 years to catch on to the "Robertson" screw and driver (you guys call them square drive). I guess it will only be another 70 years or so before you move fully to the metric system. :-)
The Robertson Screw Driver was invented in 1908 and has been well used in Canada for decades.
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 14:52:13 -0700, Ned Flanders

Um, Robertson screws have been used in the US "for decades", too. I started using them about thirty years ago. For anything other than hanging sheetrock, and such, I generally use either Robertson or Torx.
It only took you guys 100 years to catch on to the "Robertson" screw and driver (you guys call them square drive). I guess it will only be another 70 years or so before you move fully to the metric system. :-)
The Robertson Screw Driver was invented in 1908 and has been well used in Canada for decades.
-----------------
Robertson Screw driver was invented 10 miles down the road from me. They named a school after him and the Robertson Corporation is still around in Milton.
HOWEVER, the square head screw was indeed invented by a Yankee, 15 years before the Canuck version, in New York City. Robertson's screw worked because he figured out a good manufacturing process. The American screw head was a failure and that's why the Yanks used Phillips

on American brands. ww
On 7/17/2011 4:52 PM, Ned Flanders wrote:

Most electrical panels and circuit breakers are using screws that will fit Robertson, Phillips and flat blade screw drivers. The combo screws make it easy to work on the stuff.
TDD
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 18:08:32 -0500, The Daring Dufas

...and that makes it too easy to strip the panel. DAMHIKT. :-(
On 7/17/2011 6:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I have all the bits in one screwdriver that I carry in my pocket. I have a Megalok multi bit screwdriver made by Megapro. I bought from WW Grainger who for some reason quit stocking the Megalok even though they still sell the other Megapro screwdrivers. The drivers are made in USA and the best of the type I've ever owned. I carry all sorts of tools in my pockets, enough that I'm often called: Inspector Gadget. ^_^
http://preview.tinyurl.com/69emrj8
http://www.megapro.net /
TDD

The Klein 10-in-1 (now 11-in-1, but I still keep calling it a 10-in-1 out of habit) includes two sizes of Robertson as well, FWIW.
nate
On 7/18/2011 8:35 AM, N8N wrote:

I should have written that the Megalock has all the bits I normally need which is 14 with the 7 double sided bits, 4 of which are Robertson. I've a separate multi-bit driver with tamper resistant bits in my tool bag. Of course, there is the big honking Klein in the tool bag that doubles as a chisel so it's beat all to hell. :-)
TDD

My grandfather had a camper shell on his old Chevy pickup that was held together primarily by Robertson screws. I remember this because of the difficulty of finding drivers for them. In fact, I think that when my father purchased said truck complete with camper shell, my grandfather gave him a Robertson driver which appeared to be made by shaping the shank of an old Phillips driver on a bench grinder :/
nate

DeWalt "Impact-Ready" bits are pretty good and a lot cheaper than you propose! Of course, they work even better in an impact driver.

I use screws and drivers from McFeelys. Better quality than most local stores.

Thnx, Ed
nb
"notbob" wrote in message
I've asked before and got no good answer. Doesn't ANYBODY make a good quality hardened phillips driver bit for power drivers for screwing phillips head deck, etc, screws? These pieces of crap they sell for $.75-1.00 ea on lumberyard checkout counters, where you grab a handfull like promo popcorn cuz they're cheap Chinese shit, and most ppl have settled for this absurd scenario. Why!?
I'd gladly pay $5-10 for a single bit that would last longer than a hundred screws before it's useless garbage and I gotta reach for new one like it was consumable sandpaper. Why do ppl pay hundreds for quality power tools then settle for 88 cent table bits!? It's insane!
nb
Lowes in Canada sell a great 55 pc TiN set from Bosch. Now Bosch own Vermont American so I imagine they are made by VA.

I hope they make improvements. I wouldn't touch a VA product with a 10' pole. Pure junk. VA is sold here in the freight liquidation store, which is one step below HF.

I hope they make improvements. I wouldn't touch a VA product with a 10' pole. Pure junk. VA is sold here in the freight liquidation store, which is one step below HF.
These are made in the USA. I own a set of them and they seem great HOWEVER I'm just a home hack and not a professional. I reuse a lot of fasteners and these bits just grab them
Apparently Vermont American have a bad rep and it's gotten worse since moving to China.