Good old 100W bulbs dirt cheap!

You COULD put a CFL in the porch light and have it driven by a light-sensitive switch. Leave it on all the time. It would deter evil-doers lurking in your yard, all the ready for mischief. It would welcome visitors who would not stumble on your darkened steps.

'Course it would cost an itty-bit more, but what's a few bucks when we're talking about your safety or that of your mother-in-law?

I've got TEN surrounding my duplex. So far, I've not been troubled by a midnight goblin or a rickety mother-in-law.

Reply to
HeyBub

A lousy attempt at trolling. Try again.

Reply to
krw

Did your mother drop you on your head when you were little?

Reply to
JESUS CHRIST

Nope. You still don't register on the Troll-O-Meter. Sorry.

Reply to
krw

But using names like chink or taco is okay? It's okay for you to name Chinese people chinks?

Reply to
Apollyon

Apollyon wrote in news:20120121194236.000069a6@unknown:

Sure. And sometimes you can can call Chinamen "yellow", or "slopes".

Any other questions?

Reply to
Tegger

If we keep shopping at Walmart, in a few more years we'll be calling them "Boss".

Reply to
Bernie Ward

Is it OK to call them "friend"? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 20:45:46 -0500, Bernie Ward wrote Re Re: Good old 100W bulbs dirt cheap!:

Given how much we owe them, we should be calling them "..yassir Boss" right now.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

How about a 50 watt incandescent bulb (halogen) that gives the same light output that the 100 watt standard bulb did? I just saw some samples at the Dallas Lighting Show. It's also rated for 1500 hours and will supposedly sell for $2-3. I like the 50% energy saving for the same light output.

Tomsic

Reply to
Nono

Good job on making yourself look silly with the juvenile name calling.

Apparently you expect everyone to know your position without you needing to state it...

Reply to
George

Sorry that you have a limited imagination and can't imagine how leaving a fixture on all the time on an old house with old dry siding and crappy wiring could be a problem. Maybe they could fire all of the state police fire marshals and lab folks and just have you stop over and declare "I can't see how this fire started"?

Reply to
George

And juvenile name calling makes you look like a genius (think about it)?. Sorry that you don't get the idea that this is a discussion group where people may mention things that you reject maybe because you don't understand them or things can only be the way you believe them to be that can be quite correct...

Reply to
George

Here's a novel concept. How about reading folks posts so you'd know their position before making yours?

Reply to
trader4

Show us some cases where a fire was started by the use of a 100W ordinary light bulb in an outside fixture. I'll even take one where the fixture was not rated for a 100W bulb. I'm betting you can't.

Reply to
trader4

rote:

anks.- Hide quoted text -

I've been discussing topics here for years before you showed up. And about 3 of us in this thread don't buy your claim:

"Isn't using 100 watt bulbs in a closet and in outside home light a little risky? There was a house fire right down the road from us and the cause was found to be a 100w bulb in a outside residential fixture. "

So, show us a link to that fire or any other fire where the investigators concluded the cause of the fire was a 100W bulb. Not a defective light fixture. Not putting a 100W bulb in a fixture only rated for 60W. One where it was simply that someone put a 100W light bulb in a closet or outdoors.

Even putting a 100W bulb in a fixture rated for only 60W isn't likely to produce a fire or there would be one hell of a lot of fires all over the place. Certainly not a good idea to do it, but anyone with experience has come across lots of fixtures where it was done. Many times the little sticker that says do not exceed 75W has fallen off. If this was a significant cause of fires starting, there would be homes on fire from it all over.

Reply to
trader4

Not being able to find the cause is probably closer to reality. I seriously doubt a bulb started it. But the insurance companies have to name something. In my friends house they blamed mice. LMAO!!

Reply to
Steve Barker