Good old 100W bulbs dirt cheap!

Page 2 of 3
On 1/20/2012 2:19 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote: ...

a) I'm unaware of anybody who has done same w/ an incandescent or is even attempting to, and
b) Look up the amounts published(+) they did spend on the project before finally pulling the plug
(+) I'd also expect that those numbers are only a fraction of the actual investment made.

so phillips and satco can make the cut, but GE can't?
I couldn't find the amount spent on research. can you provide a link?
On 1/20/2012 6:26 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote: ...

I've not seen it.
Oh, the news article says the EcoAdvantage bulb is exclusively available at HD. That explains not having seen one (and never will in all likelihood as the closest BORG is 200 mi).
I see from the Philips page they're a halogen element and in looking at the specs, they cut 25% of output to gain 28% in energy compared to a standard incandescent. I guess it's just enough to slink in under the specific way the regulations are written that marketing them as replacements even when are close to the next lower standard rating is good enough to get by.
GE apparently was really after a bulb w/ equivalent lumens but inside the energy mandate and that, at least so far, seems unachievable.
The GE $$ invested in the program was in several news stories at the time they announced they were dropping the effort--your google surely must work as well as mine.
On 1/20/2012 6:48 PM, dpb wrote: ...

I suppose that answers the question, sort of. It doesn't say it was for energy-efficient incandescent light bulbs, so I can imagine that research was also done on other energy-efficient lighting including LED's
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Serious question. What use is there for 100w incandescent bulbs? We had a couple in places like the basement but they were replaced some years ago with CFLs that work fine.

How about outside my front door, where I don't want to wait 5 mins for it to put out light when it's cold? Or how about a closet where I only use it for 2 mins once a week and want light instantly and a 20 cent bulb is more cost effective than a $3 one? Or for a decorative fixture where I think it looks better with the light from an incandescent? Or for other applications where I'm tired of the crap shoot in buying CFLs, not knowing how fast they will come up to brightness, how long they will last before they crap out, which in my experience for many is nowhere near the number of years claimed. Or maybe I'm just an environmental extremist and believe the mercury in them will ruin the planet. Any of them good enough?

this discussion is like talking to many seniors about forced direct depoit of SS checks. They resist change even when its good for them.
one doesnt like direct deposit even after having a check lost in the mail years ago. he said it took 2 months for replacement......

I'd say this discussion is like talking to folks that can't understand there are some applications that an ordinary old incandescent is well suited to. Like my example of an outside location, where I turn it on for 5 mins once in a blue moon and don't want to wait 5 mins for a CFL on a cold night. And where I'm not going to pay $15 for an LED that's going to be exposed to moisture, etc and will probably fail long before that magical 40,000 hour number that some folks will just swallow because it's printed on the box.

You COULD put a CFL in the porch light and have it driven by a light-sensitive switch. Leave it on all the time. It would deter evil-doers lurking in your yard, all the ready for mischief. It would welcome visitors who would not stumble on your darkened steps.
'Course it would cost an itty-bit more, but what's a few bucks when we're talking about your safety or that of your mother-in-law?
I've got TEN surrounding my duplex. So far, I've not been troubled by a midnight goblin or a rickety mother-in-law.

How about a 50 watt incandescent bulb (halogen) that gives the same light output that the 100 watt standard bulb did? I just saw some samples at the Dallas Lighting Show. It's also rated for 1500 hours and will supposedly sell for $2-3. I like the 50% energy saving for the same light output.
Tomsic
On 1/21/2012 8:22 AM, bob haller wrote:

Some do. And many are really eager to learn if the new thing is better or worse and not simply reject it.

Excuse me fuckwit, but I have NOT rejected CFLs All I have done is point out that they are not well suited for ALL applications. And that when you buy one, you really don't know what the light will look like, how long it takes to warm up and put out light, how much you can really dim it, etc.
It's amazing that some fuckwits think CFLs are ideally suited to ALL applications and anyone who dares raise objections is just stupid. Maybe it's because all they have is one bulb in their trailer and don't give a damn how it looks, how long it takes to put out light, etc. These same fuckwits would probably think it great if the govt decided they should all eat tofu five times a week and forced that down their throats too.
On 1/21/2012 12:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Good job on making yourself look silly with the juvenile name calling.
Apparently you expect everyone to know your position without you needing to state it...

Here's a novel concept. How about reading folks posts so you'd know their position before making yours?

And there, folks, you have the true "liberal/progressive" (leftist) agenda shining through; force people to do what *I* think is good for them, for "I know better what they need better than they".

On 1/21/2012 8:07 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Isn't using 100 watt bulbs in a closet and in outside home light a little risky? There was a house fire right down the road from us and the cause was found to be a 100w bulb in a outside residential fixture.
I have found that the cheepo CFLs have all of the issues.
On 1/21/2012 8:46 AM, George wrote:

i call bullshit on that.

--
Steve Barker

100W lamp in a 60W fixture. Unlikely but possible.
On 1/21/2012 10:55 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

even if in a 60w fixture. not likely to cause a problem. Especially in an outside fixture. He's just a liar.
--
Steve Barker