Good old 100W bulbs dirt cheap!

this discussion is like talking to many seniors about forced direct depoit of SS checks. They resist change even when its good for them.

one doesnt like direct deposit even after having a check lost in the mail years ago. he said it took 2 months for replacement......

Reply to
bob haller

I hope you don't think that now we have to "prove" that items have legitimate uses. In a free country, we should do what we want, and can afford to pay for. It's not the government's place to decide what has "legitimate lighting purpose".

What's next? Having all our outgoing emails censored and approved, for legitimate communication purpose?

.

Serious question. What use is there for 100w incandescent bulbs? We had a couple in places like the basement but they were replaced some years ago with CFLs that work fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd say this discussion is like talking to folks that can't understand there are some applications that an ordinary old incandescent is well suited to. Like my example of an outside location, where I turn it on for 5 mins once in a blue moon and don't want to wait 5 mins for a CFL on a cold night. And where I'm not going to pay $15 for an LED that's going to be exposed to moisture, etc and will probably fail long before that magical 40,000 hour number that some folks will just swallow because it's printed on the box.

Reply to
trader4

We have a couple of lamps that we use for general illumination and reading. If we are away in the evening, I like to dim them down to have a little light instead of coming into a dark house. They also act to make the house look occupied when we are out. Just enough light to make it seem as if someone was there.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

On 1/21/2012 6:38 AM, George wrote: ...

Been thru this over and over...

Primarily outside in cold temperature applications where the warmup period is excessive (or it's so cold they won't light at all). My particular application is the barn when having calving or the like at

2AM and it's bitter cold and not in a very good mood anyway I'll be d-d if I'm going to wait to see anything--and the heat doesn't do any harm besides. As another suggested, if my stash of 100's runs out, I'll just move up to 150's that aren't under the ban (yet, anyway).

--

Reply to
dpb

Isn't using 100 watt bulbs in a closet and in outside home light a little risky? There was a house fire right down the road from us and the cause was found to be a 100w bulb in a outside residential fixture.

I have found that the cheepo CFLs have all of the issues.

Reply to
George

Some do. And many are really eager to learn if the new thing is better or worse and not simply reject it.

Reply to
George

On 1/20/2012 6:48 PM, dpb wrote: ...

dpb

i call bullshit on that.

Reply to
Steve Barker

And there, folks, you have the true "liberal/progressive" (leftist) agenda shining through; force people to do what *I* think is good for them, for "I know better what they need better than they".

Reply to
krw

Are you saying that there are no 100W fixtures? If it's a 60W fixture, it is a good idea to use a 60W bulb, no?

I've found it's a crap shoot. Expensive good. I'll pass, thanks.

Reply to
krw

Anarchist!

I hope you have good justification for that statement.

Reply to
krw

100W lamp in a 60W fixture. Unlikely but possible.
Reply to
krw

even if in a 60w fixture. not likely to cause a problem. Especially in an outside fixture. He's just a liar.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Excuse me f****it, but I have NOT rejected CFLs All I have done is point out that they are not well suited for ALL applications. And that when you buy one, you really don't know what the light will look like, how long it takes to warm up and put out light, how much you can really dim it, etc.

It's amazing that some fuckwits think CFLs are ideally suited to ALL applications and anyone who dares raise objections is just stupid. Maybe it's because all they have is one bulb in their trailer and don't give a damn how it looks, how long it takes to put out light, etc. These same fuckwits would probably think it great if the govt decided they should all eat tofu five times a week and forced that down their throats too.

Reply to
trader4

OK, so now you're obviously a troll.

Reply to
trader4

He's a dim bulb troll.

Reply to
trader4

Jesus Christ! It's 2012! Time to toss those incandescents in the trash! Even the Amish people are using LED headlights and tail lights on their buggys now.

Reply to
JESUS CHRIST

About how many watts?

.

He's a dim bulb troll.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I suppose that answers the question, sort of. It doesn't say it was for energy-efficient incandescent light bulbs, so I can imagine that research was also done on other energy-efficient lighting including LED's

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds