Good news for a change (housing)

I'm Mr. Mom right now to a 7 month old. I will be Mr. Mom again with the second child. I'll go back to work for about 12 to 18 months, then take more time off depending on what/when nature allows the second child.

I'm not looking forward to going back to work, partly because I dislike my workplace, partly because I do enjoy cooking, baking, cleaning and gardening in addition to talking, cuddling, playing, feeding the baby.

Reply to
Duesenberg

Ok, let me say a little.... we (my family) were going to Hollywood, Ca. and because of all the past mistakes, I decided to tell my CC people my vacation itinerary (which I normally would not do) and they assured me everything was going to be okay. I got screwed right at the front desk of the hotel upon check-in and this was the hotel right next door to the Kodak Theatre so it was no cheapee. Talk about being a bit embarrassed, I had two choices, call the CC to fix or use my daughter's card who was in college. She wanted the points so I let her use her card. When I got up to the room, I called the CC and really laid it on them (everything short of cursing) and I threatened them that if it happened one more time even after 20+ years with them, I would just drop them immediately. They and I knew my credit was excellent and they knew up to that point I had been very patient with all their past mistakes and reassurances it was fixed only not to be. I even said I hope you "are" taping this conversation and take it to your supervisor. After that threat, they got their act together with

2 written apologies mailed to my house. I learned my lesson tho about only having one card.

Its funny too because right after I returned home, I went to my bank and told them the story what happened to me and that I wanted their CC as a replacement. I also told them that if they didn't give me the credit limit I wanted, don't bother giving me the card as it would be no use to me and that I already had this limit on the old one. Guess what, the banker told the guy on the phone I was ok and I walked out with the credit limit I wanted.... no questions asked. I never had such an easy time getting a CC. I never actually got rid of the first card (both Visa) and now added a 3rd card (MasterCard) for places like Sam's Club that don't allow Visa.

Sorry for the long story.

Reply to
Doug

Hi, Until our kids reached Jr. high wife worked part time to make sure one of us is home with kids at all time. Now kids all grown up, on their own, a MD and an engineer like me, she started a business with her pro. knowledge and experience. She is doing very well. Bless her with good health.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Very wonderful house husband?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Not sure I would say I enjoyed it unless I had / have good tenants.

All I was saying before is that there are a lot of bad tenants as well as bad landlords but it seems that it's only the landlords that get the bad press. Yes, there are bad landlords, no argument there.

Reply to
Doug

Always rented ???

Reply to
Doug

Beats me but we seem to have a lot of OT around here. Well I won't defend them but at least they're not spamming the newsgroup so I can live with their OT.

If it bothers you that much, take a break... relax !!!

Reply to
Doug

too many poorly maintained homes in any neighborhood tend to drop home values for everyone...

espically exterior maintence.

hey our rental home needs new windows, that will cost 5 grand.

instead of that lets go on a cruise?

see what i mean?

Reply to
bob haller

So you wouldn't refinance a 9% mortgage at current rates?

I agree. It's going to be a long time and this "good news" doesn't show any new trend on a chart. We're still near bottom, going sideways.

Reply to
trader4

If you are really asking me, I see your point. As I said, there are bad landlords but I feel the bad tenants don't get the same press the bad landlords get so people tend to think the landlord is always at fault.

Reply to
Doug

Hard to argue with you !!

Reply to
Doug

My first was around the high 8s. About 5 or 6 years into the loan we refi'ed around 5% and knocked about 5 years off.

Maybe if you borrowed more money. I'm just refinancing the balance due on the house. The 3 refi's I've done have been no-brainers. Initially, the rule of thumb was, only refi when there is a 2% drop in interest rates, but that's obviously not always true. You have to look at closing costs. By going through Costco I save much more which was one of the reasons I refi'ed this time. The other reason is I want control of the escrow money.

I've never heard of anyone that "never believed in refinancing". It sounds like you're more against borrowing. I don't like borrowing at all, unless it's a zero percent loan, and even those have risks. It would be much better to pay cash in all situations but, unfortunately, it's not my reality. 3.875% takes a lot of the sting out of borrowing.

Reply to
gonjah

I just missed that, and paid 8.5 % on my first mortgage in '76. It was well into Reagan's second term before I could refi at a better rate. "Luck' often figures into this stuff, like everything else. It's tricky figuring it out, because you can't be sure what's going to happen short-term. My last refi was in 2004 or 2005. 3 year ARM at 3.5%. Had to have a backup plan in case rates took off, but I was in a position to do it. Luckily, that ARM never went past 6% and averaged about 4.5%.

I paid off the mortgage last year, taking a tax hit by cashing in part of my IRA. I'm still not sure of the bottom line on that, but I don't regret it. Here's something for those interested to think about, and what played into my decision to take the tax hit. My sister was doing taxes for H&R block when she said this to me years ago. Now she can't remember saying it, and can't even figure out what the hell it means. She said "Never think about your mortgage interest for just this year. It's there again next year, and the year after, and the year after."

So you pay down principle $10g on a 10% long term loan in January. It's easy to see you just saved $1000 in interest that year. Never forget you also saved $1000 next year, and the next year, etc. Yeah, everybody knows at least something about amortization. But the "next year and year" way of thinking about it worked for me, and prodded me to pay down fast.

Reply to
Vic Smith

In some ways. In others, we're right back there, without the inflation but that's coming.

When we were looking for our first house, the interest rates were 18%.

*Scary*. By the time we found a place, the rates had "crashed" to 14.5% and we were tickled pink. We refinanced at 10% and thought they would never again drop lower than that.
Reply to
krw

My CPA wife is sleeping right now but based on what I've heard on tv, you should not use your IRA to pay off the mortgage. I'm not sure why to be honest but here's my take... you didn't say how many years left on your last mortgage but I think if it were at the tail end, you aren't paying much in interest so you are paying mostly just principle so you might think of this loan at this point as almost an interest free loan. Now your IRA is compounding each year and the greater the amount within, the greater the compound amount becomes and so forth. I don't know what the yield is on your IRA but by taking out some principle, you have to be losing some years that the compounding did for you. I don't know how to figure this out without more thought but I think you get the idea what I mean (I hope). Now if your loan was at the beginning, I think the picture gets more fuzzy but I still think I still never heard anything to the effect to use your IRA money to pay off your loan. Maybe someone else can break this down better.

Reply to
Doug

No point in that unless they are a financial twin of me. I didn't recommend that anybody else should do it. But my circumstances were as follows. No penalty on IRA distribution. Effective tax rate on distribution was 9.4%. Mortgage interest rate was about 4%. IRA earnings rate (interest CD) was 1.25%. I'll be dead before 1.25% does any serious compounding. The mortgage was 6 years into a 30 year schedule. Even 3 year ARM's have a 30 year amort schedule. Mine did, anyway. I have no extra disposable regular income to pay down the mortgage. That's the tricky part. If I could pay it down quickly from my "normal" income, I might have done that. But it's still tough to figure out, because then you're working with assumptions. Not only "can" I pay, but "will" I pay. And even that effective tax rate of 9.4% is deceptive. That's the total income rate. IRA money will always get taxed upon distribution. And there's no point to money unless you spend it. The *extra* tax I paid on income because of the IRA distribution, while ridding myself of that mortgage, was maybe 10%. So on $20k - which is all I had left on the mortgage - that was an $2000 *additional* tax hit. My mortgage interest totaled $600 for that same year. On the surface it looks like I spent $2000 to get $600. But that's a one-year view. Anyway, my personal finances have nothing to do with it. Everybody's has to be considered separately. My point was what my sister said. "Never think about your mortgage interest for just this year. It's there again next year, and the year after, and the year after." And some of this is purely psychological - debt aversion. I like having no debt. Compounding interest works real well when you're young and building a nest egg. It's pretty useless when it's time spend the nest egg. If you can earn more on interest or investment than the mortgage rate, then there's no sense paying down the mortgage. But one thing is always certain - the amort schedule is locked in.

Reply to
Vic Smith

IRA's can be used for down payments but NOT for mortgage payments. So, unless the owner has hit 59.5% years of age and can start pulling money out, the biggest reason not to use an IRA for this purpose is the 10% off the top haircut. (NOT a CPA but coming closer to 59.5 years old)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

If you have a 401K instead of an IRA, the rules were at one time (not sure about now as I have not checked) you could borrow money out of it and while you payed interist, it was back to you.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yup. I pulled about 20k out of mine to pay down the mortgage. I never quite figured out if the paid back interest also allowed more than "max" untaxed contributions. That's also something that needs thought and a back-up plan. If the investment is earning less than the mortgage is costing, like the lousy money market fund my employer had, it works. But if you leave the employer for any reason, it has to be paid back pretty quick (30-60 days?) or you'll pay the early withdrawal penalty, and taxes. My backup plan was to open a home equity line of credit for the loan amount, so I could cover it if I got fired/laid off.

Reply to
Vic Smith

You can only borrow from the 401k if you're still working for the same company.

I borrowed 10K, once, just before I was laid off, as a buffer. I wasn't

59-1/2, so would have had to pay the 10% stupid tax if I'd withdrawn the money. This way, I had access to it but didn't have to pay any tax. I've left the rest sit there because the charges are incredibly low (like zero, for most instruments).

AFAIK, loan pay-back is completely separate from contributions. It depends on how the 401k is set up, whether you get the interest, or not.

I have a hundred or so choices of investment instruments. Currently I'm in some pretty good bond funds. They've been really solid for the past seven or so years.

Not true, at least not an IRS rule. I did it (see above) with no penalty at all. If I hadn't paid the loan on schedule, I would have had to pay the penalty.

Reply to
krw