Good Net Resource for Identifying Wood?

I'm curious about identifying the wood used in the floors of my house. It's an older house (100+ years)with finished wood floors, which appear to be the original subfloors. I'm pretty sure the floor is pine (no experience with flooring, but I'm fairly good at ID'ing wood used in furniture), but I hear people talking about "yellow pine" and "heart pine" and so on, and I've grown curious about what kind of pine this is. Does anyone know of any good Internet resources for looking at and learning about different kinds of wood? (I don't object to buying a book, per se, but since this is just kind of a passing curiosity....) Or perhaps one of you "wood pros" can provide a description of the identifying characteristics of one kind of pine vs. another?

Thanks in advance,

Jo Ann

Reply to
jah213

Don't have direct link to web site, but the US Forest Service web site is a veritble plethora of useful information. :)

Where's the house located? At that age, particularly if in northeast, likely to be one of the "white" pines.

Characteristics of yellow pine is (naturally) a yellowish hue and being harder and having a more pronounced grain. Most yellow pine flooring was also narrower strip flooring as compared to most white. If it is stained and finished, may not be particularly easy to tell. One characteristic of an old white pine floor would be quite a bit of wear and dents and dings as it is pretty soft. That's kinda' subjective, though, as the wear and abuse it got over the years could be far different in one case than another, of course.

Posting a picture somewhere would be good...

Reply to
dpb