Good brand gas range no electricity?

Anyone have any experience with gas ranges that don't require electricity? I have electric range now but this is a rural area with many power outages.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Greetings,

If it doesn't require electricity either there is a pilot or you have to light it with a match. The pilot costs a little something to run

24/7 but in the end the system is much cheaper than an electric stove. I prefer a standing pilot to a match lit unit as matches are messy, smelly, and aren't always around.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Matches? Just use a barbeque wand lighter. It's just the snap of static spark that's needed. No pilot or matches needed. $2 from a local linens and things (for the one that has barely any butane in it anyway)

Reply to
Bill Kearney

What brand of range do you have? What is approximate price? The only one I've found is at Lowe's. The top burners will work without power but not the oven. I googled and found one, but it was almost $700.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

I bought a top line Magic Chef in 1992 for $850 and have been cursing it ever since. Plastic parts gather grease and are hard to clean, there are many inside corners that are also hard to clean, the sealed burners are hard to clean and the burners seem to require poking the holes with a paper clip at least once a month, on rare occasions it will display an FF04 code and require unplugging overnight to clear it but nobody at Magic Chef can tell me what that means, the broiler hangs down from the top of the over and steals a lot of space, and on....

Reply to
Stubby

How does it display FF04 code with no power? Or does this one work both with and without power?

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

If can find one that requires to be lit, no pilot, Then get one of those grill battery operated igniters and mount on the stove somehow, no matches no AC power required.

Of course the wand lighters work great, If can keep the wife from using elsewhere for candles and mis placing it.

Reply to
MC

We used to have one a long time ago that worked great. Did you ask at your local propane dealers? Maybe you could find a really nice used one.

Reply to
Bob

Don't know if you'd consider it, but it might be easier to find a used older model in good condition. Are you up for that retro look? Check with kitchen remodelers- you might get one free. Didn't realise they were that hard to find these days, they must still be sold in off-grid areas, no? We had major recent power outages in our area, some lasted for days in freezing weather- one old house I know was lucky enough to have an old pilot lit furnace- they still had heat, though no hot water- water heater, of course, was more up to date and used electronic ignition.

Reply to
Sev

UPS will do the job and is nice to have around, can be moved around to critical needs if the power is off. this was just the first site i found

hallerb

i blew that link heres a better one. note run time is under continious use at full load. So a partial load with intermittent use can run for many times its rated use

hallerb

I used an "empty" wand lighter, no one wants to borrow it from the stove. Stove only need the spark.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I've been checking all the thrift shops and used appliance dealers. So far, nothing. A Canadian company makes a 20 inch stove, but I'm looking for a 30 inch. Last time we had an ice storm the power was off for 10 days. Perhaps I should be looking under Camping Equipment. I have Empire direct vent wall heaters for backup so at least I still have heat when the heat pump goes off. I figure it would also be nice to be able to cook meals instead of having cold sandwiches for 10 days.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Many people have suggested matches, lighters and so forth, but the problem that I'm seeing is that without power, many ranges today have interlocks that prevent the gas from being turned on. Lowe's told me that you won't find any ranges on the market today where the gas to the oven can be turned on without having power to the ignitor. And only some of them will let the gas to the top burners turn on without power. I think I'll have to restore and old one.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Allmost every maker of ranges sells a base model that operates with a standing pilot and uses no electricity. Of course, these ranges won't have self cleaning, timer, clock or any other features.

I use several in rental apartments in an older building where there is no outlet near the range and I'm too lazy to install new outlets... :-)

I've seen base ranges with standing pilots offered by Sears/Kenmore, Whirlpool, Fridigaire, Maytag, etc, etc. Sears fairly recently also had a "Capri" brand baseline range with standing pilots that was less that $300. I've purchased three of those - they work fine.

Often these WON'T be in stock at the dealer but can be easily ordered.

Your web search must not have been complete since I've found at least four different standing pilot models under $400.

You might also check out Premier-Peerless ranges. They are one of the last independant range manufacturers and have some intersting models.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Reply to
Bob

Do not necessarily believe what a sales person at Lowes or Home Depot tells you.

Reply to
Bob

Try

they carry products geared for the Amish

Reply to
Lee & Cathi Thomas

Yes, I've seen Lehmans.com. Those Amish must have more money than I have. I'll call Sears and ask about their budget models.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

I think I understand. Salesman wants to sell what is in stock to get commission today so he says that what I may want to order isn't available. I'll try Sears. Google is not an exact science. Most of the time search engines take you to the people who advertise with them, not to the places that have the best information.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM