Good all-around vacuum cleaners

Page 2 of 3
Eric wrote:

http://woot.com / Hurry though, it will probably sellout before midnght, they usually do
Add pictures here
✖
?

Consider a new hose for the Electrolux. Or get the existing hose replaced using the same ends. You can get them to fit models made back in the 1930's from your local dealer or places like www.totalvac.com
At home we have a Eureka (15+ years) and Electrolux (20+ years) and it is a toss up as to which is better. At work I bought a Panasonic upright and our cleaning lady likes it too. IIRC, it was in the $250 range.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 00:43:13 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

The Electrolux hose itself tends to get clogged. I did try to seal it, using a silicone spray compound, and that did help. But it didn't improve the frustrating hose-clogging problem. Maybe the newer hoses are less prone, but I don't have my hopes up.
In any case, the replacement hose is around $70 to $100+, which would amount to a down payment on a new vacuum cleaner.
Add pictures here
✖
The baggless vacuums, even the cheaper ones work great IF you can empty them outside. They can make a mess when emptying and some have filters you have to brush clean.
You can buy three of these cheaper than one overpriced Dyson.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 31, 10:44 am, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Empty it into where? A garbage can so that every time I toss something else in there I'll get a puff of dust/hair/dander all up in my face?
I keep my garbage can in my garage and I don't need the "mess" you mentioned in the garage anymore than I need it in the house.
I won't fault anyone for using a bagless if they are willing to put up with the dumping part of it, but it's just not for me.
Add pictures here
✖

I bag my garbage. Nothing flies around when I add another.

If I dumped it on the floor I wouldn't notice it in my garage, for all the sawdust.

Changing bags isn't as clean as you pretend.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 31, 11:42 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

As do I. Do you also bag the dust/hair/dander from the bagless vac? If you do, that solves the "all up in my face" issue, but if I'm going to bag the stuff from a bagless vac, I'd rather just start with the bag in the vac.
I don't want to go through the hassle of grabbing a bag, going outside, dumping the vac canister into the bag, dealing with the dust, tieing it off and tossing it in the can. Heck, I don't even like emptying my shop vac if it contains anything other than sawdust because of the dust it throws around! Again, that's just me. Again, I fault no one that doesn't mind doing that.

Again, if that works for you, that's great. It's just not for me. My shop floor has the sawdust while my garage is more for storage, an entrance into my side door and the occasional larger scale project if I need more room.

I don't recall "pretending" anything. However, I'm pretty sure that we can agree that changing bags is considerably less messy than dumping an open canister into a bag and/or a can. I haven't done the requisite testing, but I'm pretty sure the air quality in the general vicinity of a bagless vs. a bagged unit after a change/dump would vary considerably.
As I said before, I've tried both and I don't want to deal with a bagless. The rest of the world is free to make their own choices with absolutely no pushback from me. I'm not defending nor denegrating either type of vac. I'm simply talking about what I prefer.
Add pictures here
✖
As I said before, I've tried both and I don't want to deal with a bagless. The rest of the world is free to make their own choices with absolutely no pushback from me. I'm not defending nor denegrating either type of vac. I'm simply talking about what I prefer.
I have about six vacuums. I PREFER one or the other depending on what it is that I am doing, as no one vacuum performs all the functions.
When I want to vacuum up a lot of drywall or concrete dust or waste, I use my shop vac. I toss the canister contents, then toss the filter up in the air, letting it hit the ground three or four times, then take a stick to it to knock all the stuff off that's clogged in the folds. It is a messy dusty thing.
I have a good Riccar that does floors, but doesn't do floors very well. It says it does, but it doesn't. It does do carpet well, though. It has a hose and attachments, and it is good in some places.
I have a Mighty Mite that I use a lot, you just can't fit much in it as it has a small bag. I took the 1" x 4" head and put velcro around the edges, and that works fine for cleaning my pool table.
When I see the prices for some of the new bagless types, and read about people who don't like them, I figure I'll continue using what I have, or buy a yard sale replacement, and for the difference, I can go on a vacation. Most vacuums are overpriced and underperform.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

True dat. I think that the discussion of bagless vs. bagged is more about the vac we might use for regular vacuuming like the living room, kitchen, bedrooms, etc. At least that's what I'm talking about.

I go one step farther and either use my Mighty Mite to vacuum the folds after tossing and banging the filter - when the filter is dry - or I'll hose off the folds with a my garden hose nozzle set on Jet if it's (and I'm) already wet and muddy.
Did you ever notice how long it takes for drywall dust to disappear from an asphalt driveway after having the filter land on it a few times? :-)
BTW...If you take the Y fitting out of the inside of the shop vac, it's great for getting the leaves out from under the Holly bushes or any other plant where you don't want to stick your hand or take the leaves out 1 by 1. The Y fitting makes it clog up too often.
I do my wife's gardens with the shop vac every spring.

I love my Mighty Mite for the cars, stairs, insides of big projects, etc. I'm still using the one I bought back in the early 80's. I know that they make more powerful ones now, but that old workhorse won't quit. I'm not gentle with it either. It's fallen down stairs, been dragged by a car, etc. One might say I'm *trying* to break it so I can buy a new one, but it just won't die.The only repairs I've done is replace the switch and one of the big back wheels. I actually ran it with a homemade wooden wheel for years until the switch went bad and I ordered both parts at the same time.
I've found that I have to be careful with the bags though and stick to quality ones, like the original Eureka bags. I tried some cheap ones from the interweb and they were so thick that the machine lost suction way before the bags were full. I was going through so many bags it wasn't worth the savings.
I also have adaptor for my shop vac to fit the Mighy Mite's hose so I can use all of the MM's attachments but with the power of the shop vac.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M3TA9V19L.jpg

Add pictures here
✖
wrote

[...]

I'm looking for yet another vacuum at yard sales, something in the 3" to 4" range for leaves.
A guy can't have too many vacuums.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

As I mentioned above, I use my shop vac.
Why can't you use yours?
For the most part, if it clogs, it clogs right at the business end of the hose and I just have to "rearrange" the clump with my hand and it goes *pop* into the hose.
If it clogs anywhere else (rare) I remove the hose from the vac inlet and stick it on the blower outlet. *pow* out goes the clump.
Add pictures here
✖

As I mentioned above, I use my shop vac.
Why can't you use yours?
reply: Mine just clogs up. It has 1 7/8 hose, but I guess my leaves are just too big. They clog up at various places. At times I can get them to pop through by popping my palm on and off the suction head, but sometimes I have to take a 10' piece of PVC to get the stubborn ones. It's a Ridgid. The place just inside where there's a diffuser to keep the crud from slapping against the filter also clogs there.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

The diffuser is the Y fitting that I remove before I do my leaves. 3 screws I believe.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:03:55 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

We've got a bagless Bissel upright. Maybe our third bagless of various brands. I've dumped dirt from many vacuums, bag type and bagless. Seemed to recall the bags always puffing out dust when disconnecting them, or even from squeezing them on the way to the trash. Never remembered that problem with a bagless dirt container. Didn't know how to remove the container from the Bissell, so I asked my wife to dump it. About 2/3 full of typical house dust and dander/hair from our 2 dogs. She moved the lever, slid it out, carried it to the kitchen, put it in the kitchen trash can, and slowly turned it upside down. No dust left the trash can. Asked her if the dust will come out later and she said not unless she pushes something on it before she tosses other kitchen crap in there before she removes the trash bag. Says she won't. Anyway, we have no problem emptying the bagless. We like seeing what the vac has picked up and knowing it needs to be emptied.
The shop vac filter is a pain as others have mentioned. Instead of creating a cloud by banging it like I used to, I use a hose and water pressure, then hose the resulting mud down the driveway to the street or just into the grass. Depends which way I'm facing. Hardly any mud compared to breathing in a big cloud of crap. The price to pay is not using it until the filter has dried. Hasn't bothered me because I've taken to dumping it and cleaning the filter before it gets near full and when I don't need it. Learned my lesson. Keep meaning to get a second filter, but haven't.
--Vic
Add pictures here
✖

We have five vacuums, two uprights and three shop vacs (a regular 20gal can type, a smaller hand-held, and an 18V Dewalt), plus two dust collectors.

I replace filters, particularly if they're full of drywall dust.

Add pictures here
✖
On 12/31/2010 4:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

The paper filters are so damn expensive, though. No wonder most of the garage sale vacs I see only have the washable-but-not-very-effective sponge filters on them. And the paper filters clog up so quickly, to boot. I burned up a 5-buck garage sale foam-filter vac sucking up drywall and concrete dust, because I didn't know the modern shop-vac filter kits were backward-compatible with the old steel-can ones. I assumed they were all like the sponge-and-cloth-bag craftsman shop vacs I used as a kid. Naturally, the garage sale supply line dried up when I killed the old one, so I actually had to buy a new one at the big-box, and was happily surprised that all my old parts still fit. I'm trying to take better care of it, so if I need to suck up drywall, I'll spring for some of the paper wrappers to put over the foam filter I have in there now for upstairs use. I'll only use the paper filters when pollen season starts, and I need to seal up the house for the summer. If I trip across another 5-buck one at the garage sales come spring, I'll probably buy it for a spare, for dirty work- there is some more drywall repair headed my way.
My favorite vac, that I used through the apartment years, was an old canister vac with a tight-mesh cloth bag. When it quit sucking, just carry the bag out to the dumpster, reach one arm inside, and bang it till the dust cloud died down. Really not sure what happened to it- don't remember throwing it out, or it dying.
--
aem sends....

Add pictures here
✖

Sure, just open one of the bags in the garbage bin and dump the vac in it.

You're making things far too complicated, just to make your point.

I don't have a shop, yet (working on it this week, but it'll be at least another year).

No, we don't agree.

You don't have to justify your preferences to us!
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 31, 4:11 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Please explain. Are you saying that removing the bag and placing it in a garbage can/bag causes as big a mess as emptying the container from a bagless unit?

Add pictures here
✖

Perhaps not "as big as", but a mess nonetheless. Taking the canister out to the garage is a *lot* cleaner than pulling the bag out of the vacuum.

Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 31, 7:15 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

So you're saying that the mess caused by removing the bag and placing it in the garbage bag/can does not make as big a mess as emptying the container, but at the same time taking the canister to garbage is a lot cleaner than pulling the bag?
How can both of those be true, unless of course you're not including actually *dumping* the canister?
Let's make make sure were comparing dust bunnies to dust bunnies. Let's look at the end to end process.
I have a full bag in one machine and I have a full canister in another. A few minutes later, when both machines are put back together and ready to be used again - a new bag has been installed in one and the canister and filter have been emptied/cleaned and put back in the other - which machine caused a bigger mess? BTW I assume you are aware that many of the newer bags have a flap that seals the bag as you remove it and that hepa-filtered lined bags keep the dust in the bag, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-QdGcd6Kb8

Add pictures here
✖