Goldstar Window AC Problem

This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor will cut-out after from over-heating. It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil dissipation. Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it apart? Thanks! bob

Before you open it up, how old is it?
Warranty?
RonB

4 or 5 years...I would say.
On 06/04/2011 09:29 AM, RonB wrote:

Can't be that new... haven't seen any products branded GoldStar in a while, all are now LG (Lucky Goldstar)
wikipedia says 1995 is when the change took place
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Well your wrong...they were a "Special On Sale" item at Best Buy.

I hate when I do that, damn! (your/you're)

It was a wasp net and involved a near complete tear-apart! Very bad design!

I get those here. Got into my brand new pool heater. Mud-daubers.

Glad it worked out. The stopping and starting sounds unusual for a blocked fan.
As for the bad design, they are throw aways and designed for ease of assembly. They don't care about taking them apart as few ever are.
Bob Villa wrote:

Interesting. Just guessing here, but was the wasp nest causing a blockage of air flow, then the unit would overheat, then an overheating sensor somewhere would cut it off? Then, after it cooled down it would work again?

The nest is like cardboard and would make a slight noise most of the time and every once in a while would jam. The compressor would not cool enough and drop-out. Then the compressor would go thru another cycle if the fan wasn't running. Those nests are tough to rip-apart!
http://timberpest.com.au/images/wasp%20nest.jpg
On Jun 5, 2:47pm, "Stormin Mormon"

You're the only one that "top posts". Possibly, you would be able to follow along if you posted like everyone else. It was bought from "Best Buy". Keep the "thought process" in one area and the concentration will improve.

Fairly common problem on window AC units. Replace the fan motor, but check the cost first. It may not be worth the trouble compared to a new unit. If you can't DIY, it is definitely cheaper to buy a new unit.

I was thinking it may be a poor connection on the CB. (heated or cracked solder)
On 6/4/2011 8:58 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

the fan freezes up.
The solution has been to oil the fan bearings. It is sort of an annoying job taking the covers off to get to the motor, but then a couple of drops of oil on each end of the shaft and some fussing fixes it for a couple of years.