Going to paint interior house - suggestions on paint

I am moving into my new house soon, and I will be painting the rooms.

Any suggestions on brands of paints and primer?

Reply to
The dude

On Sep 26, 10:20=EF=BF=BDpm, The dude wrote= :

i like behr semi gloss from home depot. used it on 2 homes, still looked good after 10 years

semi gloss allows easy clean up

Reply to
hallerb

If you have little experience, I recommend you go to a store with knowledgable people. Some of the big box stores have good people at the paint counter, but not many. Most of them have someone who knows how to stock, do inventory, and run the paint match machine. Not that they won't *act* as if they're knowledgeable if you give them the chance ....

Pay a couple of bucks more per can at a real paint store where the people live and die by their expertise. I guess you can find a stinker there, too, but they should be much rarer.

Most of the brands are pretty good, as long as you stay away from the contractor grade.

My best recommendation: Use the shiniest paint you can stand. Shiny paint lasts longer and is easier to clean. Flat paint hides flaws in the wall better, but the flatter the paint, the more likely to hold dirt and the harder to clean.

Reply to
SteveBell

Go to a real paint store, not the big box stores and they will assist you with the proper tools and paint. Don't buy a cheap brush. Get a good one and it will last you many years and, more importantly, will work better along the way. Same with roller covers.

Any of the major brands should be OK. Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams, Pittsburgh, etc. You can either zip through with a plain primer, or have some of the primer tinted so the finish coat is a bit richer and tiny spots missed won't show.

Ceiling first, then walls, then trim. That good brush will allow you to do the cut in freehand too.

A low luster egg shell or satin usually looks best and clean easily. High gloss looks too commercial.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Take a look at the March 2008 Consumer Reports on paint. Some of the favorites changed position, like BM which I used for years, moved down in some categories. Nothing drastic, but you might want to check out that report for the latest on the type of paint -- not brand -- TYPE of paint you plan to use.

Good luck!

Reply to
Artful Dodger

i like behr semi gloss from home depot. used it on 2 homes, still looked good after 10 years

Yep, thats what the designated painter SWMBO here uses. Do a search for paint reviews. Behr (sold by HD) is coming out #1 recently.

"New house"..are the walls already painted/primed ? If nor BEHR PVA primer worked well for us too.

Reply to
Rudy

=BF=BDBEHR =EF=BF=BD PVA

we repainted one home before selling it, paint looked fine, but fresh paint for sale is necessary

our house here got repainted this summer, because of paint chips and dings after 10 years. it was hard to paint in places new and old looked the same.

behr is really good.

light colors make rooms look larger, semi gloss makes for easy clean up

Reply to
hallerb

A good paint job is all about preparation. Read the label carefully. Use special paint for kitchen and bath. Paint stores will carry the better brands.

Reply to
Phisherman

yeah WASH ALL WALLS before hand.

in this case with a new home washing not necessary but clean clean clean, use tack clothes if necessary to remove dust.

definetely prime first.

with a brand new home you might want a professional painter? the home has cost so much painting is probably trivial, providing you have the bucks

Reply to
hallerb