go kart engine flywheel drags against coil contact

to get a bigger spark, i removed the flywheel, sanded the magnets clean. now, when i tighten the flywheel back on the magnet seems to drag on the coil. the harder i tighten the more it drags. what is wrong???

i'm getting a good spark from the wire now. but when i connect it to the brand new spark plug, i see no spark. the spark plug boot is just rubber, so it's pretty much just raw wires touching against the top of the plug in the boot. do i need a boot with metal in them like the ones in cars?

this was my problem in the first place which is why i took the whole thing apart. good spark from the wire ain't getting to the plug. wtf?

thanks.

Reply to
fuhgettaboudit02

could it be because the flywheel key is in the wrong spot?

Reply to
fuhgettaboudit02

If you mean the plug dangles from the wire and you get no spark, then you need to ground the plug to the engine ( rest the plug on the head and ensure a good contact).

That's exactly what I would look at... Seating the flywheel can be tricky if the key slips a bit. In the past I've used a dab of bearing grease to hold the key in place while seating the flywheel.

-- Oren

Oren

You do know that you need to space the gap between the magnets on the magneto and the coil pickup? Loosen the two bolts holding the coil, pull the unit away from the flywheel or remove and clean the contacts. Center the alignment mark on the flywheel between the contacts on the coil with a business card holding them apart the proper distance. The magnets will pull the coil to the magneto very hard. Tighten the two bolts. Remove the business card.

I've not seen a lawn mower type engine that didn't have a metal contact inside the rubber boot that grabbed the top of the spark plug.

Reply to
DanG

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:12:41 -0500, "DanG" wrote: .

Me neither. You can steal one from your previous set of auto spark plug wires (which I presume you saved for things like this)

Reply to
mm

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

you can probably buy a new one at an auto parts store.

Reply to
Jim Yanik