Gluing steel to polyethylene?

I have found the only thing that glues polyethylene sheeting is Liquid Nails: Projects and Construction. It should work on other Poly stuff as well. But I really thing you would be better off finding a plug that fits properly, and using teflon tape to mage it seal.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Polyethylene is almost impossible to glue. Check around, best bet would be to find somebody with the proper plug, assuming you have not fudged up the treads on the barrel too badly. If all else fails I may have one laying around. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I bought a 55 gal polyethylene drum to use as part of a swim platform. It has two screw in plugs. One is poly and fits tightly. The other is steel, and the thread doesn't even resemble the thread on the opening it was in; though it is a very snug fit. I doubt I will get a good seal on it. Since I will never open it, I would like to glue it in. I know nothing sticks well to poly, but I am thinking JB Weld will fill in the thread spaces, and lock the two together. But maybe silicone caulk would be a better bet.

Any thoughts on the best way to seal the metal plug in? It is about 3" diameter and 1/2" of thread.

I bought it at an auction as part of a large lot with all kinds of other good stuff for a dollar, and immediately sold stuff out of the lot for $3, so it was a good buy even with the wrong plug.

Reply to
toller

Better bet still would be to find a plug of the right size. Why are you so determined to cobble things together? It's a lot less trouble in the long run to do it right, ONCE.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Replace it with a PVC plumbing plug and use PTFE tape. Standard drum bung holes are just NPT pipe thread.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

You already know the answer. Get the right plug or weld a PE patch over the hole. It can be heat welded.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

US ("God is our co-pilot") Plastics probably sells the correct bungs...

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Didn't know that; I will check that out. Thanks.

Reply to
toller

Worked fine, though it took half a roll of PTEE tape to get a snug fit. Thanks.

Reply to
toller