Gluing poly

About once a month someone asks how to glue polyethylene; and while a few people suggest epoxy, the net result is you can't glue polyethylene.

Well, it turns out you can. A local craftstore went out of business and I couldn't resist buying bags of stuff I didn't need at 80% off. One thing I bought was Loctite SuperGlue "All Plastics". Naturally I thought it was bogus, but for almost free I will try anything.

Tonight a poly knob on my universal gym broke; as I was tossing it out I remembered the glue. It worked! Don't know how long it will last (I certainly don't expect much) but so far it is solid.

So if you are desperate, it is worth a try.

Reply to
Bewildered

I was formerly (summer 2006) under the impression that polyethylene was very difficult to adhesive bond / repair.........

that said, I did a google search & found

This 3M stuff looks pretty good but the application tools are a bit spendy for a one off repair

additionally

the Loctite hand book on bonding plastics

page 51 gives a number of products that work with PE

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I'm pretty sure if you look in Locktite's full product list, you will find an appropriate product to glue anything to anything. They probably have something to glue your car tires to ice too...

Reply to
Pete C.