Gluing plexiglass to polyethylene

I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a POLYETHYLENE window well cover.
My understanding is that many/most glues do not stick well to polyethylene.
Any suggestions on type of glue and technique for bonding PLEXIGLASS to clear, smooth POLYETHYLENE?
Add pictures here
โœ–
blueman wrote:

Not likely because the solvent/glue for plexiglass comes in polyethylene squeeze bottles.
Add pictures here
โœ–
blueman wrote:
> I would like to glue a 7" wide extension strip of 1/8" PLEXIGLASS to a > POLYETHYLENE window well cover. <snip>
Never going to happen, but you can still get a seal between the materials.
Rough up both surfaces with a 36 grit right angle sander to provide a rough surface, then apply 3M 5300 caulk.
Allow 1 week to cure.
Lew
Add pictures here
โœ–

โœ–
blueman wrote:

You're going to need an adhesive specifically designed for low surface energy plastics. These are not cheap. There are some made by Loctite and 3M among others. They are usually called structural adhesives and one example is 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Structural Plastic Adhesive DP8010. You won't find this stuff in your friendly neighbourhood hardware store - it is only available from adhesives suppliers and a few specialty shops.
Do a web search on "polyethylene adhesive" and see what you find.
Mike
Add pictures here
โœ–
I can send you some 3M 300LSE 0.002" ?
http://tinyurl.com/lgtmj
Let me know

Add pictures here
โœ–
Gorilla Glue

Add pictures here
โœ–

I read somewhere that Hot Melt Glue may work. Can anybody confirm or deny that this will work?
Add pictures here
โœ–
blueman wrote:

My experience with hot melt glue in exterior applications has been less than satisfactory. I would certainly not use it if it, or the surface its holding, is at any time exposed to direct sunlight.
--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
โœ–
Check out www.thegluedepot.com they have lots of different products. I used them for a special epoxy recommended for repairing my wife's kayak. They do have stuff recommended for your purpose, not cheap.

Add pictures here
โœ–

that sheds water. THere's no reason to try to make a hermetic seal, you're just trying to keep the window well from filling with water and debris, right?
Add pictures here
โœ–
Rough both surfaces and bond them with 30 minute epoxy. That's how I'd do it.

Add pictures here
โœ–
Epoxy isn't going to hold on poly.
Bob

Add pictures here
โœ–
Bob wrote:

Sme years back I had to buy a case of epoxy that was made specifically for hdpe, Seemed to work. It was an expensive and specific epoxy, not generic
Add pictures here
โœ–

sunlight and UV, and/or a week of winter temps, the first time somebody even brushes against it, it'll pop apart. Overlap the materials and use mechanical fasteners. For plexi and poly, I'd use pop rivets with big-ass washers on both sides to keep them from tearing out. If you need moisture seal, a couple beads of pretty much any caulking between the layers will work. To keep it pretty, I'd use a clear variety.
aem sends....
Add pictures here
โœ–
snipped-for-privacy@att.net says...

Seconded. In my experience nothing bonds properly with polyethylene.
Just a thought: it might be a plastic welding business could do it, but I am not sure if/how well polyethylene welds. Might be worth trying to find out though (I am thinking of welding a lip to the p.e. that mechanically holds the plexiglass, then sealing with clear silicone for instance.
I have got silicone to stick to p.e. but I wouldn't trust it to have any mechanical strength.
-Peter
โœ–

Polyethylene can be welded, but I think trying to weld PE to acrylic would be like trying to weld stainless steel to aluminum.
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
โœ–

Yes, with you there. That's why I suggested welding a lip to the polyethylene and sealing the plexiglass in (rather than trying to weld the twain together).
-P.
โœ–

Thanks. I did just that but used (4) 6-32 x 3/8" screws and sandwiched clear Silicone II Door & Window adhesive between the two sheets for water seal and supplemental bonding. Seemed easier and cheaper than ordering some of the more exotic adhesives needed to bond polyethylene.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Call a store that sells plastic only and ask them.
Add pictures here
โœ–