Gluing plastics - tips?

I have an adjustable "sleeve" with telescoping inner sleeve. It locks in p lace with a beefy plastic clip that has pins that push down into holes into the sleeve. Picture a plastic 3/4 circle about 1.5" in diameter (like a C with the open ing downwards). The pins stick down inside the C and insert from the outer to inner sleeve to lock it in place. The shape of the C allows it to push up and down on the outer sleeve for easy adjustment.

Anyways, the top of the C has fatigued from too many adjustments, and crack ed. So I am thinking about adding another "layer" of plastic, cutting a pi ece of PVC pipe or something to fit snugly over the smaller clip, and gluin g it in place. In other words, a slightly bigger C fitted over the smaller C.

So, (finally) here is my question. The smaller C is a hard black plastic, I can't determine exactly what type it is. The larger C would need to be s omething already in the right shape, like a 1" length of 1 3/4" plastic pip e.

I want the glue the outer ring onto the inner ring. Without knowing the ex act plastics, is there a prep/glue/product that will A) be strong and perma nent, B) work generically on varying plastics, C) allow for the C to flex a nd push down on the sleeve, and D) be waterproof (the sleeve is actually a windsurfing boom arm).

Thanks for any assistance!

Reply to
gwandsh

Plastic is always difficult. Can't picture your setup. I always consider using plumbers goop, or specifically, marine goop. It's tough, flexible, etc. It also runs as applied. It might take a week to fully setup, but it's the strongest I know of, without cracking.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Short answer -- NO

Styrene based plastics need a glue with a ketone based solvent.

Some will hold with epoxy.

Some will not work at all with any adhesive but can be heat welded by softening both parts and sticking them together.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski