gluing glass to neoprene?

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:55:32 -0700, chaniarts

Thanks for answering!

Wow, that's great.
I called 3 top shops today and none showed interest in anything but replacing the window and curtain. I'm not surprised but I wanted to check.
The problem is worse t han I imagined. I hadn't had the top down since I noticed the problem and it made a big thump twice when I lowered it, then one more time when I raised it again. They scared me.
It turns out the window is so far forward it gets caught on the upper rear edge/corner of the back seat. When the cloth was attached, it was like a ramp. The second time I lowered it, I was in the back seat, I went in little steps, and I pushed it back when it got to the seat back. Going up I went slow, but if this doesn't get fixed right away, I'll make some sort of ramp for putting it up.

Great.

This is great. My friend runs a ministorage, and gets all sorts of related or semi-related catalogs in the mail, and when I called her she suggested Uline. I think she's bought from them. She had already given me an old catalog. Had I ordered before 6 today, they would have delivered it tomorrow.
The white color doesn't clash with anything?? Regardless, I think it would with my car, because some of it will show. (The rear window opening in canvas top bows up and shows some of the curtain above the window)
Yours is only 44 dollarrs plus shipping, but I thought clear would be better for me, and it's 91 dollars plus shipping... No, somehow you found 36 yard rolls, and I had only found 72 yard rolls, but now starting with your page, I found a 36 yard roll for 50 dollars.. By now that sounds cheap.
What do you think about this stuff? Should it work just as well?
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-10123/3M-VHB-Tapes/3M-4905-VHB-Double-Sided-Tape-1-2-x-72-yards This stuff, the 4910 it says is good for "Transparent materials; glass, acrylic." Yours says it's good for "Metals, glass, plastic.".
Also, this is 40 mils, and they also have in 20 mils. Do you think thinner be better, or not as good? http://www.uline.com/BL_6042/3M-4905-VHB-Acrylic-Tape
**Still 91 dollars is better than the 650 the shop wanted for a new rear window and curtain.

You're right, I could even make money (but I'll never do it. I'm good at saving money but not so good at making it.)

Good idea. Baltimore is on the Chesapeake Bay The autoshop is a good idea. too. I'll call tomorrow. ( Maybe not, since it's only $50 now.)
It's supposed to rain Thursday, and unless I find it at a local boat or autoshop, I can't fix it before then, but I found when I'm parked I can stuff a big garbage bag between the top and the rear curtain, overlapping the opening, that will keep the rain out. I already know that when I'm moving, the rain blows over the car, doesn't even get the back seat wet when it's raining, so I only have to worry about being stopped at red lights. I can avoid that for one day. Maybe if I go slow, I can even drive with the garbage bag hanging out a few inches.
BTW, I spent a lot of time on the web and found on Ebay two people who bought big rolls and made small rolls, just like you suggested, that they sold for 20 dollars or less, but they were either white or grey.
Thanks a lot.

BTW, all the tapes on this page have model numbers starting with 49. 49nn, that is. But I see some other tapes marked 9460PC that are called VHB transfer tape, whatever that is.
Some that are called acrylic foam, some of which are marked clear!
I'm makiung progress on ebay so please don't waste your time googling, but if you know the answers to my questions, that would help a lot.
Thanks a lot.
P.S. A lot say "[PRICE is per ROLL]" because I'm sure people think they'll get several rolls for the price. ;-)

On 10/24/2011 01:03 PM, micky wrote:

3m make a range of appropriate adhesives. online sellers like summit have some of the commonly used automotive ones to browse.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

micky wrote:

Hi, Goop has a glue called stick anything to anything something like that. Can be found at auto parts shop. I'd try that.

I'm wary about things that claim to glue anything,. but I will look for it anyhow.
Thanks and thanks to everyone.
Still open to other suggestions.

Good to know.

I think I once tried that.

I've used that on my shoes.
The stress on the window is pretty high, and they are pretty heavy too.

I know exactly how you feel, but I've got Chaniarts. I'll try to post in about a year to let you all know how it works for me.

I only asked one shop so far for a pirce and it was 650 for the rear window/curtain, and 1710 for the whole thing. a 2000 Toyota Solara. Maybe Baltimore is in the high rent district.
Where do you liive that even your high prices are so much cheaper?

Thanks.

On 10/25/2011 06:22 PM, micky wrote:

try this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRM-8008 /
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Thanks.

That will not stick to glass.
On 10/25/2011 07:18 PM, Ron wrote:

it's not listed for that application, yet if you get it on glass, you have a devil of a job getting it off. so i guess we're down to whether or not we're actually speaking from experience rather than reading from a non-manufacturer website, and the definitions of the word "stick".
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

It will not stay stuck to glass. When I was in the glass business people (DIYers) would try to reglue door glasses that had come loose from the channel with it.
--
Grab your gun and bring the cat in.

On 10/25/2011 08:28 PM, Ron wrote:

i've found it to work well enough on rubbers, the op's application. but you're right, it wouldn't be great on solids like window hinges.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Good to know.

I always had vinyl before, but I have no imagination so since this car came with canvas, that's probably what I'll get, eventually.
I'll call more when the t ime comes. Since she was on the phone already, I just wanted to be reassured t hat 100 dollars for tape is still a good deal. (and tonight I found only 36 yards instead of 72.
I figure if a rear window starts to fail at 11 years, than 36 yards at one yard per car will last me 393 years.

I've been to Florida. You have a lot more sun than we do.
micky wrote:

That's IF the 3M tape will work. You would think if there was a way to repair the glass on these tops when they fail that the top/upholstery shops would repair them. EVERY person that I spoke to told me the same thing, "the glass and top is laminated together when they are made, and we have no way to do that". There is at least one company now that is making tops and giving a lifetime warranty on the glass coming loose. It is a company called UltraMaxx http://www.gahh.com/ultramaxx.php .
--
Grab your gun and bring the cat in.

That's right. If it doesn't work, it will last me even longer.

Shops don't want to do a job that might fail soon, because even if you warn customers, a lot of them will complain. They prefer to do the job the way they know will work.
When the pipe broke off from my cat. converter, every muffler shop I went to in my n'hood wanted to install a new cat. No one would weld the pipe back on. So I went half way to t he center of town, to a lower middle class n'hood, or upper lower class. (It's hard to tell because the commercial street looks a bit run down, but the street with the houses a block away looks nice.) and the first muffler shop I went to was happy to weld it for me, put two beads all around the pipe, and charged me iirc 30 dollars. I gave him 40. His repair lasted for years, until I got rid of the car for other reasons.
So that doesn't mean this tape will work, but that shops don't want to do it doesn't mean it won't.

I'll bear this brand in mind, in case I need a window. (I had a back up plan in mind if this tape doesn't work on my car (maybe the window is taller and heavier than for a Corvette) but now that I find the window bumps into the rear seat back, my back up plan isn't as likely to work.
BTW, it says that with glass windows, sewing was out of the question. At the start, sure, but by now, can't they make a window with a row of holes around the perimeter?. Then sew the canvas on. That would take the strain and some lightwieght glue could glue some fabric over the stitches.
On 10/25/2011 9:09 PM, micky wrote:

if it was tempered (and a previous post said it was), holes would be a stress point and would shatter pretty easily during normal service if anything hit it around that edge. you'd need to have rubber inserts on the holes to prevent that.
On 10/26/2011 07:59 AM, chaniarts wrote:

rubber is used to prevent stress concentrations from the fastener, not so much that they themselves are the problem.
now, the holes /can/ be a problem, but there are rule as to drilling method, size and placement that pretty much remove risk. i forget the numbers now, but as you say, you have to keep certain distances from edges, use holes above a certain size relative to glass thickness, make sure hole edges are smooth and that they don't get overly stressed. done right, you'll not notice any difference in service strength.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

The back glass on the '82 - '92 Camaro and Firebird is a perfect example.
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3827089/aview/100_0427.JPG