Gluing aluminum to glass

I'm trying to repair a computer desk which has the legs attached at threaded aluminum disks glued to plate glass, several of which have come off. Tried double sided carpet tape, but it's not strong enough. Is there a glue that might work in this application?

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I think what you are looking for is the glue they use for attach mirrors to windshields. Try an auto parts store.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Try the Locktite rear view mirror adhesive available at auto parts stores.

Reply to
Pete C.

If you do it right (clean glass proper fit) the glass will break before the bond. BTW as I recall it needs UV light to cure. You can find that outside (Sun Light)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Some versions may, but I had one RV mirror reattached using the Locktite adhesive and as I recall it had a catalyst and it only required holding the mirror in place for about 15 seconds before it could take full load.

Reply to
Pete C.

I have used 2-part epoxy to attach acrylic to aluminum. Since it's for a computer desk, I don't think I would want a leg to fail, so I'd make sure whatever I used was going to hold.

I use West Systems epoxy for anything that matters.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Try

Results:

LocTite Impruv JB Weld (ir appearance is NOT important)

It's a good site. Disclaimers apply.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Locktite mirror adhesive is a pretty pricey fix. You'll probably need several packages. I think 3M urethane windhshield adhesive might do the trick, although I'm not sure if the glass has to have a primer coat first.

How about call>I'm trying to repair a computer desk which has the legs attached at threaded

Reply to
Rick-Meister

Hi, Maybe a glue used for attaching the rear view mirror to windwhield? Auto parts tore sells it in a little tube.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Take a look at CR Laurence. They won't sell to individuals but once you identify the adhesive you need any good glass supplier can order it. Also, e-Bay may have a listing.

Boden

Boden

One word: SUPERGLUE.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John Gilmer

Correct and if not used properly, it will cost even more money for do overs. The OP would be better off of buying a kit from an auto glass repair shop or elsewhere, but that is the best choice.

If it isn't primerless urethane, then yes, you HAVE to use the correct primer(s) or it will just peel right off. Also windshield urethane doesn't come off of your hands w/o urethane hand cleaner. And, if you get it on your clothes or carpet it's not coming out, period! I would advise the OP the stay far away from that type of urethane. It's like a magnet when it comes to accidentally getting on things it shouldn't!

If you can't get a Loctite rearview mirror repair kit (a big one not the one shot deal from an auto parts store) I would suggest clear GE silicone II which can be bought at Home Depot and Lowes.

This is the kind of kit that I'm talking about. Be sure to clean both surfaces (especially the aluminum parts) VERY well with a single edge razor blade)

Ron

None do. Actually, UV rays break down the glue. That is why they started putting a black ceramic oval on the windshield where the mirror attaches.

I believe Meehan must of had a stone chip repaired once. The resin used in that process does require a UV light (or sun) to cure.

Reply to
Ron

Thanks for the replies. I bought a couple tubes of Permatex rear view mirror adhesive, about 6 bucks total, and will give it a try. I'll post back with the results.

Thanks again

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Well, that's not _quite_ so...

dpb

Never heard of it. I stand corrected. But for a simple project like the OP has, Locktite rearview mirror adhesive is the way to go.

Reply to
Ron

Different question... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Make sure to clean and prime correctly (very important!) and only use about four-five drops of glue per aluminum part.

Reply to
Ron

Trust me, no autoglass installer is using that "complex" system just to re-glue a rearview mirror.

And there is no telling what the cost is. A large Locktite rearview mirror adhesive kit costs about $10.00 and last for yrs.

Looks like something more suited for glazing if you needed to attach a long strip of metal to plate glass.

Reply to
Ron

-------------------------------------------------- From: "Ron" Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:48 PM Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Subject: Re: Gluing aluminum to glass

No it was replacing the catch on a 1970 Beetle about 1975. The adhesive had to be applied in the sun or a UV lamp used to cure it. As it turned out I was slightly off position and the first time I tried to close it, it took a little more force than it should have and it ripped off taking chunks of glass with it leaving the window with a divot. I bought a new glass and this time it worked. I had the car for about 14 more years, it held up well.

Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Reply to
Joseph Meehan