Gluing aluminum to glass

Page 1 of 2
I'm trying to repair a computer desk which has the legs attached at threaded aluminum disks glued to plate glass, several of which have come off. Tried double sided carpet tape, but it's not strong enough. Is there a glue that might work in this application?
Thanks
Dan
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think what you are looking for is the glue they use for attach mirrors to windshields. Try an auto parts store.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dan Espen wrote:

Take a look at CR Laurence. They won't sell to individuals but once you identify the adhesive you need any good glass supplier can order it. Also, e-Bay may have a listing.
Boden
http://www.crlaurence.com/apps/sitesearch/search.aspx?query ­hesive
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dan wrote:

Try the Locktite rear view mirror adhesive available at auto parts stores.
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you do it right (clean glass proper fit) the glass will break before the bond. BTW as I recall it needs UV light to cure. You can find that outside (Sun Light)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
βœ–
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Some versions may, but I had one RV mirror reattached using the Locktite adhesive and as I recall it had a catalyst and it only required holding the mirror in place for about 15 seconds before it could take full load.
Add pictures here
βœ–

None do. Actually, UV rays break down the glue. That is why they started putting a black ceramic oval on the windshield where the mirror attaches.
I believe Meehan must of had a stone chip repaired once. The resin used in that process does require a UV light (or sun) to cure.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ron wrote:

Well, that's not _quite_ so...
http://www.dymax.com/products/automotive/windows_and_mirrors.php
Add pictures here
βœ–

Never heard of it. I stand corrected. But for a simple project like the OP has, Locktite rearview mirror adhesive is the way to go.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ron wrote:

Different question... :)
βœ–

Trust me, no autoglass installer is using that "complex" system just to re-glue a rearview mirror.
And there is no telling what the cost is. A large Locktite rearview mirror adhesive kit costs about $10.00 and last for yrs.
Looks like something more suited for glazing if you needed to attach a long strip of metal to plate glass.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ron wrote:

Unaware I made any statement other than that there are more than none uv-curing products for window/mirrors on the market...

βœ–

And I said I wrong, what more do you want?
I was just pointing out something <sheesh>
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ron wrote:

As did I...double sheesh!
I didn't (and don't) "want" anything at all...
βœ–
on 6/12/2008 4:13 PM dpb said the following:

I envy you. I want a lot of things.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:48 PM Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Subject: Re: Gluing aluminum to glass
> Some versions may, but I had one RV mirror reattached using the Locktite

No it was replacing the catch on a 1970 Beetle about 1975. The adhesive had to be applied in the sun or a UV lamp used to cure it. As it turned out I was slightly off position and the first time I tried to close it, it took a little more force than it should have and it ripped off taking chunks of glass with it leaving the window with a divot. I bought a new glass and this time it worked. I had the car for about 14 more years, it held up well.
Joseph Meehan
Dia 's Muire duit
Add pictures here
βœ–

On the vent glass? I know that Rabbits had those (latches and hinges glued to the glass - dumb idea) but I don't recall the Bugs having them.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You know it may have been my Rabbit, which would have been a couple of years later.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
βœ–

The earlier Rabbits had a pivot glued to the bottom edge of the vent glass, a hinge glued to the front edge, and a latch glued to rear corner.
They were notorious for becoming unglued, and in a lot of cases the glass ended up as roadkill.
On the later models they did away with the movable vent and starting using a stationary one.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have used 2-part epoxy to attach acrylic to aluminum. Since it's for a computer desk, I don't think I would want a leg to fail, so I'd make sure whatever I used was going to hold.
I use West Systems epoxy for anything that matters.
Add pictures here
βœ–