Gluing 4" PVC

When I attempt to glue a fitting onto a length of 4" schedule 40 PVC, the fitting tends to push back forcefully after I push it on. I worry that I will fail to advance the pipe the full distance into the fitting.

Is there a plumber's trick to mastering this task?

Reply to
Newton

if its a closed end pipe then air pressure will be the cause... if its not closed end then all you need to do is hold the fitting in place for a few seconds..it will stay put.... be sure to use primer with the glue.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

Do a dry fit (don't get the pipe stuck) to get a feel for how it will go together.

Measure fitting depth & mark the pipe with a felt pen to give you an idea of the fully seated location.

Use primer on pipe and fitting. Immediately apply glue (especially liberally to the pipe, do not puddle the fitting).

Slide pipe into fitting, do the 1/4 turn and HOLD the pipe in its fully seated position for 30 seconds (over kill but extrusion is worse).

There is a slight interference fit between PVC pipe & fittings and on larger pipe the "extrsuion" force can be noticeable.

Make sure your work area is organized & the pipe is positioned so you can easily accomplish fit up.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

NO there isn't any Tony

Reply to
Old and Grunpy

Be sure that you have fresh cement and use it on the male *and* the female portions. Don't go nuts with it either - just be thorough.

Reply to
C & E