Glueing a broken plastic refrigerator shelf

Page 2 of 2

Go to some of the more generic appliance parts dealers that are online.
You may be pleasantly surprised.
--
Chris Lewis,

Might work or more likely a shelf collapse and a big mess. Sounds like you just need new shelf supports. Probably not much more than the price of the glue. Try this: http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/smartsearch.aspx

That would be the day, when you can get replacement refrigerator parts for the cost of glue. I'll bet you the price of the shelf is easily an order of magnitude more $$$ than the cost of glue.
On Oct 31, 6:05 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Wasn't talking about the shelf. It wasn't clear if the shelf broke, or just the supports. If he really just broke the supports, they're cheap.

I had that problem too. To resolve it I got rid of the wife and had enough spare money to buy a new refrigerator.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 1 for success. I doubt it will take the weight of the shelf, let alone a couple of jugs of milk. If you get lucky, you may be able to find the parts at an appliance dealer that takes old units away when they deliver the new ones.

If you have room, why not sandwich the broken pieces between two pieces of material, such a lexan, drilling and bolting on both sides of the crack. The new material would bear the weight, not the damaged shelf.
Or, as so many have said...purchase or make a replacement shelf - probably the best idea.
Joe wrote:

Aren't most plastic pieces inside refrigerators made of PVC? If so, you want to use solvent, not glue, to fix them. Acetone or laquer thinner will work, but hobby shops and electronics supplies. have stuff made especially for gluing plastic models and TV cabinets.

Acetone doesn't work that well on PVC. PVC glue has small quantities of acetone, but the main ingredients is MEK, Tetrahydrofuran, PVC resin and some other solvents. Model airplane glue is acetone based aimed for use on polystyrene. Laquer thinner is largely MEK I think, but it's not designed as a glue, it'll be messy, and glue joints probably brittle because it has no "body" to it.
Best way to glue PVC is PVC pipe glue.
I've done some major repairs to ABS-based devices using ABS pipe glue (rebuilt a leaf blower after the impeller came apart and demolished the blower housing. Bought a new impeller (no way a glued one was going to balance let alone stay together, but the housing was pieced back together). I'm sure that PVC glue will work as well on PVC. Throwing scrap bits of PVC in as reinforcements will help too.
--
Chris Lewis,

Back when I was young and poor I had this happen and fixed the shelf with a sheet of glass cut to size. Just some old glass from a door we had in the attic. Worked for years. A mirror would be good too.
I doubt any repair will hold up. You should be able to get a new part from the manufacturer.