Glue on wall?

Hi all

Removed some fake rock paneling from one wall in the living room, gyproc underneath. Panelling was held on with nails and glue, some of which is still on the wall some peeled the paper off the gyproc some peeled the backing off the panel

Easiest way to remove?

My thought is to scrape alittle, prime to seal with zissers, spackle in places to cover, then mud in places, prime,paint, dark glaze in rough spots.

Think it will work?

ideas?

comments?

CathyLee

Reply to
CathyLee

Good luck with this. I had a similar problem when I removed corkboard from an entire wall in my den, except that the underlying wall was plaster, not sheetrock. I finally gave up and hired a couple of skilled painters who used big sanders, then skimcoated and primed the wall. As far as I'm concerned, it was money well spent. The things I tried that didn't work include: scraping, scraping while using a heat gun, various solvents, and a small sander. If I hadn't found the painters, I probably would have put up sheetrock, but this was a wall with no windows--your situation may not allow that option. Sorry to be discouraging, but I think you have a miserable job ahead of you.

JA

Been there and done that. Paneling installed with liquid nails in my case. I agree with JA that removing the glue is next to impossible. You will tear away the top layer of paper before you get the glue off.

What I did was remove as much as possible. Quite a bit of paper came with it. Then I skim coated the entire wall section using drywall mud, not spackle. Spackle is for small imperfections. It never really gets hard.

If you have ever managed to finish drywall with minimal sanding you can learn to skim coat. If you haven't I suggest you find a handy person to help you. Skim coating is just the application of a thin layer of mud, done in stages over a large area. I have a post in my sent file on how I went about this. Be glad to repost or email it to you.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Depends on how bad it really is .. which we can't see.

No to spackle.

If it's not too bad, you can get away with skimcoating , prime and paint.

If it's too ugly for skimcoating, replace the drywall.

If you're not sure, spend the bucks for a pro.

Ken

Reply to
bambam