Glue for sliding laminate into position

Hi, Can anyone recommend a glue that would permit me to cover a plastic laminate countertop by SLIDING a section of new laminate into position over it? I can't use contact cement because the layout of the countertop and overhead shelving won't allow me to simply LAY the new section on top of the old laminate. Thanks...

Reply to
Darro

Use a layer of craft paper over the contact cement and a spacers to hold the laminate off the cement until it is in place then remove them working from one end to the other. Be sure to have it in place first and the one corner to the far other is important to avoid a bubble in the middle.

--

Reply to
dpb

DPB's comments will work just fine ...if you can execute it.

A very thin layer of epoxy would work as well.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Can't recommend a glue. However, when I used to install laminate, we would cement both the laminate & surface which the laminate was being applied. Then use 3/16" dowel rods placed about every 18" or so, so the laminate wouldn't come in contact with the surface. Position the laminate, then start removing the dowel rods from the center outward, one by one.

Reply to
Toffee Monday

I tried paper once without success. Quite a bit of paper remained stuck to the glue under the laminate. However the job turned out okay even with the addition of paper. Paper may of worked better if I would have allowed more dry time for the glue. Toffee's suggestion of using dowels works great.

Reply to
Pat

Pat wrote: ...

That's the trick -- it does have to be dry to the touch.

Reply to
dpb

I covered the countertop with sheets of newspaper. The newspaper stuck a little. I was able to remove the paper in front but the back would tear when I pulled on it. I had little room in which to work. Quite a lot of paper remained under the laminate when I finished. If I was ever to try paper again I think I would try something stronger and thicker then newspaper. Perhaps strips cut from a cardboard box. I definitely would not use newspaper again. Dowels work well because there is only a small surface to stick and the dowel is strong when pulled.

Reply to
Pat

Waxed paper would be better. Best would be silicone coated paper, but not easily found outside of industrial applications.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Bakers parchment paper is silicone coated. In the baking aisle.... MikeB

Reply to
bq340

You can use Titebond. Just be prepared to stay with the job for 20-30 minutes. Keep rolling, and re-rolling the laminate as the glue sets. I recently saw a kitchen done this way 15+ years ago and it still looked good.

Boden

Reply to
Boden

Poor choice...

--

Reply to
dpb

This was featured on one of the home shows recently. Don't recall what size dowels they used, but I don't see how one could miss using this method. Just use enough dowels that the surfaces can't make contact until perfectly aligned.

Reply to
Norminn