glue for hard plastic parts

A piece came off of the hard plastic carpet attachment for our vacuum cleaner. Since I cannot find the replacement part near where I live, I want to try gluing the piece back on. Which glue do you recommend for the job? Thanks.

Reply to
tenplay

There are exactly 451,547,627 kinds of plastics. Each requires a special glue and 37.85% of them can't be glued at all.

That said, I suggest trying the Super Glue type stuff. It seems to work well with many plastics. Make sure you get the high strength stuff, not the stuff now sold in the drug store as it has been intentionally weakened. Some hobby shops should have the real stuff.

BTW someone may come along with another suggestion based on experience with that type of part/plastic. If they do, you may want to consider their suggestion first.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

== I suggest modeling cement. It works far better than super glue type products (which never seem to work at all). ==

Reply to
Gini

Try JB Weld. Not the quick set stuff, but the one that must set over night.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

PLAS-T-PAR

stuff will get you high and mends plastic. A bit messy though

Reply to
rednelb

Hobby shops also usually carry the "gap filling" type. If your parts don't fit exactly right, most super glues won't hold.

Ask the person at the hobby shop for medium or thick CA glue.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

go for the two part epoxy(not the super glue stuff) the two part stuff comes in two small tubes.. you squeeze out a bead of it on a Paper plate if you have them, then a bead next to it of the hardner.. i use Q-tips to drag one bead to the other and then mix them together..... do this quick and then apply to broken plastic piece and put some extra around the outside of the crack... then get someone to put some scotch tape on the part thats broken off to hold it in place and lay it down gently and leave it there until the next day... it should be stronger than it was before the break.... the one tube of super glue stuff will probably work faster and hold it for a while but will fall apart in no time..... hope this helps...

Reply to
jim

the other guys here are all kinda right. first, if it is made of PVC/vinyl, acrylic, phenolic, or polycarbonate plastic, superglue (cyanoacryate) will work really well. if if is polypropylene it wont work at all. model cement is ok but has no torsional strength. JB weld is ok but takes too long to set. best bet is to set in position with superglue (unless as above) and use a 2 part quickset epoxy for support. the epoxy i use is a gel, has 5 minute work time (sets quick after that), fully sets in one hour, and has 2500psi strength, about $2.00 at local hardware - just not good for high temp stuff. goes on clear too...

Reply to
spacekase

Plastic modeling cement will only work on poly-styrene plastic. I doubt that the vaucum cleaner is made out of poly-styrene. If it is hard plastic superglue should work.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

If you can't find the replacement part locally, you should be able to find the manufacturer on the Internet and order it directly from them. The glue is probably going to cost you $5.00 or so and may not work satisfactorily. I would rather spend $20.00 on a new replacement part. Des

vacuum

live, I want

Reply to
Des Perado