glue for hard plastic parts

A piece came off of the hard plastic carpet attachment for our vacuum cleaner. Since I cannot find the replacement part near where I live, I want to try gluing the piece back on. Which glue do you recommend for the job? Thanks.
tenplay wrote:

There are exactly 451,547,627 kinds of plastics. Each requires a special glue and 37.85% of them can't be glued at all.
That said, I suggest trying the Super Glue type stuff. It seems to work well with many plastics. Make sure you get the high strength stuff, not the stuff now sold in the drug store as it has been intentionally weakened. Some hobby shops should have the real stuff.
BTW someone may come along with another suggestion based on experience with that type of part/plastic. If they do, you may want to consider their suggestion first.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 18:04:31 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Hobby shops also usually carry the "gap filling" type. If your parts don't fit exactly right, most super glues won't hold.
Ask the person at the hobby shop for medium or thick CA glue.
Barry

(which never seem to work at all). =

Plastic modeling cement will only work on poly-styrene plastic. I doubt that the vaucum cleaner is made out of poly-styrene. If it is hard plastic superglue should work.

Charlie
PLAS-T-PAR
stuff will get you high and mends plastic. A bit messy though

tenplay wrote:

comes in two small tubes.. you squeeze out a bead of it on a Paper plate if you have them, then a bead next to it of the hardner.. i use Q-tips to drag one bead to the other and then mix them together..... do this quick and then apply to broken plastic piece and put some extra around the outside of the crack... then get someone to put some scotch tape on the part thats broken off to hold it in place and lay it down gently and leave it there until the next day... it should be stronger than it was before the break.... the one tube of super glue stuff will probably work faster and hold it for a while but will fall apart in no time..... hope this helps...

the other guys here are all kinda right. first, if it is made of PVC/vinyl, acrylic, phenolic, or polycarbonate plastic, superglue (cyanoacryate) will work really well. if if is polypropylene it wont work at all. model cement is ok but has no torsional strength. JB weld is ok but takes too long to set. best bet is to set in position with superglue (unless as above) and use a 2 part quickset epoxy for support. the epoxy i use is a gel, has 5 minute work time (sets quick after that), fully sets in one hour, and has 2500psi strength, about $2.00 at local hardware - just not good for high temp stuff. goes on clear too...
If you can't find the replacement part locally, you should be able to find the manufacturer on the Internet and order it directly from them. The glue is probably going to cost you $5.00 or so and may not work satisfactorily. I would rather spend $20.00 on a new replacement part. Des

Hi,
Maybe a 2 part epoxy.... http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&Ns7538 Epoxy patch kit.