Glow-in-Dark?

It's probably a combination of the radium and the surrounding materials...

--

Reply to
dpb

I got one back then too.

IIRC there was a small "atomic bomb" mounted on it lying parallel to the finger the ring was on. The four tailfins of the bomb were part of a red plastic cap which could be pulled off exposing a plastic "lens" you looked into to see those "stars".

Re the shoe fitting x-ray machines, I probably snuck my feet into them more times than I should have, but I still have five toes on each of them. I was fun to wiggle your toes while looking at the bones in them to see them move.

For those too young to have seen one lookee here:

SWMBO and I visited that museum about five years ago and I recall seeing quite a few posters and also inactivated devices which claimed they used radioative materials to "make you healthier."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

This is called phosphorescence.

Yes, google phosphorescent tape :

or phosphorescent paint :

See

for a discussion of Fluorescent vs. Phosphorescent vs. Radioluminescent

Reply to
M Q

Yes! Here is a pic.

willshak

kid (circa 1950) Japan made the crap like China does

Zeros were effective because they had so many...and expendable pilots.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

There is glow paint you can use. It is low radioactivity.

Reply to
Phisherman

Many years ago when I had a darkroom in my house, I used the following UGL paint to mark off where the room light switch and various tools I needed were located:

The glow lasted long enough to accomplish the usual tasks one had to do in total darkness before the safelight came into play.

Reply to
JKevorkian

I wonder how much ( negative) excitement the Dupont chemical company would get these days with their 1950s slogan " Better Living through chemistry " Funny how we really believed it at the time.

Reply to
claude

And you would have one believe we would be better off without nylon, etc., ... ???

Thanks, but "no, thanks".

--

Reply to
dpb

Yeah. Let's go back to knob and tube wiring. No need for modern wire insulations; rubber and ceramic tubes are just fine.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale