Glow-in-Dark?

Page 2 of 2

We give Deming a lot of credit for it; I suspect the Japanese credit themselves. Their Zeros were pretty good planes before Deming.
Toller wrote:

They do as well although certainly wasn't the absolutely only factor, their consumer products weren't much until they began to pay attention to QA/QC. If US industry had been as attentive, things undoubtedly would have progressed far differently...
unpurified radium glows in the dark too. Theres a cave in eastern PA where guides would take you into a room and turn off ALL the lights.
after a little time the cieling would twinkle.
probably high in radon friends wonder if this cave has been closed for safety.
Indians were very afraid of this and wouldnt enter it.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's probably a combination of the radium and the surrounding materials...

Zeros were effective because they had so many...and expendable pilots.
willshak wrote:

I got one back then too.
IIRC there was a small "atomic bomb" mounted on it lying parallel to the finger the ring was on. The four tailfins of the bomb were part of a red plastic cap which could be pulled off exposing a plastic "lens" you looked into to see those "stars".
Re the shoe fitting x-ray machines, I probably snuck my feet into them more times than I should have, but I still have five toes on each of them. I was fun to wiggle your toes while looking at the bones in them to see them move.
For those too young to have seen one lookee here:
http://www.museumofquackery.com/devices/shoexray.htm
SWMBO and I visited that museum about five years ago and I recall seeing quite a few posters and also inactivated devices which claimed they used radioative materials to "make you healthier."
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
on 11/10/2007 1:17 PM Jeff Wisnia said the following:

Yes! Here is a pic. http://www.gemstonepub.com/ringguide/ringguide4.html

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I bought some glow in the dark paint from a homecenter going out of business. If I hadn't gotten 80% off I would have been real disapppointed. Whether any products are better I can't say, but the paint is useless.
CWLee wrote:

This is called phosphorescence.

Yes, google phosphorescent tape : http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=phosphorescent+tape&btnG=Search
or phosphorescent paint : http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=phosphorescent+paint&btnG=Search

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_paint for a discussion of Fluorescent vs. Phosphorescent vs. Radioluminescent
On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 23:12:35 -0800, "CWLee"

There is glow paint you can use. It is low radioactivity.