Global warming -- America's greatest threat!

Page 5 of 5
Regardless of whether global warming exists, it seems to me that by our blowing millions of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmostphere every day with our car's tail pipes, that increased level of carbon dioxide SHOULD manifest itself in some way.
One would expect that the result of engine exhaust fumes would be more CO2 dissolving in the waters of our oceans, lakes and rivers. Algae are green because they survive by creating their own food energy by photosynthesis. If there's more CO2 in our air and waters, one would expect large algae blooms as algae absorb more CO2 and H2O and sunlight and combine them to produce sugar. The more food there is in the environment for the algae, the more algae we would expect to see.
But, I really haven't heard of large algae blooms being a problem anywhere.
Whenever we hear of large algae blooms, the finger is always pointed at phosphorus enrichment in the water from fertilizer runoff from agricultural land (farms, mostly), never as a result of increase CO2 levels in our air and water. Is there a reason why we're not seeing huge algae blooms in our oceans as a result of the increased level of CO2 in our atmosphere (and presumably rivers, lakes and oceans?
--
nestork

Nestork,
Why do you think this is on topic in AHR?
Personally, I have very little interest in your ignorance.
Algae blooms are on the rise, oceans take up minimal amounts of C02 (26%), and they take up less when the water warms up and they take up less after absorbing C02.
Please, stick to home repair.
--
Dan Espen

'Oren[_2_ Wrote: > ;3312717']

Yeah, me too. Now I just wait until it gets dark and dump it in the river. :)
--
nestork

I'm surprised Obummer hasn't blamed global warming for causing Bush!
<snipped>

And I yours.
On 11/24/2014 5:32 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I think we need a government grant to study this.
Per nestork:

I think it's more a matter of average global temperature/heat than any particular local experience.
Doesn't seem like that much of a stretch for warming-induced disruptions to cause the jet stream (whatever *that* is.... but it seems to affect our winters a lot) to sag south - and the jet stream sagging South appears to correlate with much of our wintry weather here in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per Zak W:

Ask yourself:
- Who wrote the piece you are so easily taking to heart?
- Who funds whoever wrote the piece?
- What are the interests of those who are doing the funding?
I have no clue what the answers are in this case... but before I took something so important seriously, I would want those questions (and other questions... but at the very least those three) answered.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per Stormin Mormon:

Are you saying that you do not believe that the earth is getting warmer?
--
Pete Cresswell

On 11/24/2014 7:56 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Your reading comprehension failed.
Either that or you're an inflamatory troll. Your question does not adress my statement.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, November 24, 2014 7:56:34 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

It hasn't gotten warmer for the last 17 years. The global average temperature has been going sideways. Look at a graph and you'll see that's the conclusions a reasonable person would come to. Haven't you seen the global warming proponents all scrambling with various explanations of why that might be? And note that if they know so much, have such accurate models, etc, why is it that they are now scrambling to put together various explanations, instead of telling us 10 or 15 years ago that global temp would be about the same for the next two decades?
Typical alarmist headline is like the recent "warmest Oct on record". Yeah, by a whopping .02 degrees. I'd say that's likely within the error range and even if it isn't, if you looked at the actual numbers, they have likely added more observation points over the last 20 years, then massaged the data to "blend" it all in. Of course they claim they do that in an unbiased fashion, but we all know how that works.
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 14:00:28 -0500, Stormin Mormon

What kind of crap is that? Do you believe that the earth is getting warmer or not? Do you believe that human activity is at least part of the reason?
I don't believe that the vast majority of scientists lie. I have respect for scientists.
Per Stormin Mormon:

Mea Culpa: I missed the "Man-Made" part.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 11/25/2014 9:25 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

No worries, mate. Easy to miss details like that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Such shit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumental_temperature_record#mediaviewer/File:Global_warming._Short-term_variations_versus_a_long-term_trend_(NCADAC).png
On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:32:35 AM UTC-5, dgk wrote:

40 years is now a "long term trend" when it comes to climate? And the point is, if scientists know so much about global warming, have the models right, then why is it that they didn't tell us 17 years ago that global temperature will not be rising for the next two decades because of X, Y, Z? Why is it only *now*, after the fact, that they are coming up with various *theories* why the temperature has been going sideways? And what's the big hurry? If global temps do break out on the upside from this sideways movement in the next 5 years, there will still be plenty of time to save the whales. Even Obama apparently agrees. He just reached a big, historic agreement with the Chinese, where they get to increase CO2 until 2030.
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 05:42:48 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Likely computers. Just like my little Commodore 64 has been made obsolete, the computers are so much better now. Plus, more effort has been expended to find out what is happening and why. It's sort of important. If you folks are wrong, and I think you are, our children's children are going to face some serious challenges.
On Friday, November 28, 2014 10:28:32 AM UTC-5, dgk wrote:

Obama likely signed the agreement with China because of computers?
Just like my little Commodore 64 has been made

That's what the scientists predicting global cooling in the 70s said too. "Our computers today are so much better than those in the 50s and 60s".
Plus, more effort has

I personally more worried about the challenges kids will face from a failed US as a country and world power, than I am of the global warming problem. I think we can survive one, but not so sure about the other.