glider/slider windows: try before you buy

Page 2 of 2
I've beat the internet pretty hard and can't find much information on air leakage by brand, let alone window type. According to the NFRC site, the air leakage rating is currently optional on their stickers.
It is interesting, though, that Marvin double hungs and casements, for example, have the same R-factor (2.7) and the sliders have a lower R-factor (2.33). There could be things other than air infiltration at work, of course.
My research from online and factory brochures showed casements superior in air infiltration to sliders and double hung, only fixed units can surpass a casement, as I previously noted you pull a casement into its weather stripping, sliders also wear the gasket, test are on new units. For high wind areas casements cant be beat, and considering slide type seals that wear out and the fact that 50% of heat loss can be air infiltration in old units casements win every time
m R,
If you have any data on that left over from your research, I think it would benefit a lot of window shoppers to post it. In my experience, it's hard to find data on air leakage. The NFRC has a standardized rating, but I believe it's optional to report it.
I think there's some merit, qualitatively, to the argument you're making. But ultimately, people put different weights on different factors, so the magnitude of the difference is key here. As I noted, the R-factor data from Marvin is *suggestive* on this point, but not a pure measure of leakage.
Cheers
ccskr I emailed you, and will look, but alot of this I got on factory Pella Anderson and Hurd brochures, alot of company sites info online I cant access because of weby tvs limited usefullness . All major window companies have every rating for every window they make, for anderson it is hundreds of windows.
Well, anything you've got handy. Don't go doing all the research all over again! I keep beating on google, thinking surely there's a website where these air leakage and other ratings are tabulated for the major window guys, but I don't see anything like that.
Thanks again.
I have to get all that research back for a job but it will take time. Andersons and pellas sites have it im sure somewhere.
Thanks for the feedback, m R.
I can see how the track is vulnerable to dirt. OTOH, the windows I have now are gliders, and I've only seen a need to clean the tracks once in 3 years, so I don't think that's a deal-breaker.
We chose gliders because they suit the architecture of the house and there didn't seem to be a compelling reason not to (except for the difficulty getting a look at them, as documented here.) However, I will double check the ratings, on your advice. Like the Andersens, the Marvins seem to close nice and snug when the latches are flipped, so I don't see a lot of potential for leaking, right off.
Ratings are what you go by, if im wrong ok but by the design of pulling a window into the frame as casements do my limited research of air infiltration ratings showed casements superior, in air infiltration. I know my casements are still tight after years, and my sliding glass doors, Anderson a bit loose now from constant opening. It is logical a sliding seal will loose efectivness faster than one pulled tight. One other rating of many of importance is CDF, condensing factor, my Pellas condense, my Andersons dont, I researched this to late as Pella at a Consumer Reports test article, is rated lower on Dual pane Low E argon than Anderson. For windows depending on where you live there are different types of E coatings, some optimise SHG for high heat areas some reduce SHG, solar heat gain. Windows have alot of science behind them to save energy. Hurd offers several types , good to look at what they offer to see what is location important, they have high SHG and lower SHG types. In Fla you want low SHG and VLT in Minnesota for example you would want high SHG + VLT. There is always something new out with glass to make utilities less of a burden, glass is not equal as salesmen tell you. Google there is alot to read.
New developments this morning that may be of interest:
(1) In an effort to be more flexible and consider vinyl-clad (as RicodJour suggested), my wife called all around the area to HD and others listed as selling Andersen. No one we've contacted has an example to show us. One installer gave us an address of an install they did to go look at. It's in Baltimore (We're in DC, and no, it isn't all the same metro area.) That should give you an idea how common what we're looking for is.
Exasperated, she called Andersen HQ, and was forwarded to the Carlisle PA office, where they distribute for our region. They confirmed they don't sell many vinyl-clad wood gliders in our region. Well, we're thinking of dropping $20K on buying windows from you, and we'd like to see one first, can you arrange to get one to our contractor for inspection, she said. His response,
"No, Andersen doesn't have a program to do that."
Keep in mind, they're shipping millions of dollars worth of windows to the DC area every month. They can't squeeze an extra window on one of those trucks? Now, I don't think that bodes well for service in the future.
Compare that response to the response to my experience talking to Marvin in the original post for this thread....
(2) Turns out there is a lumber yard with Loewen gliders in the showroom in N VA that I'm headed out to look at on my lunch hour.
I'm a builder in Virginia and put Norco, a Jeld-Wen company, aluminum clad glider in my house, also have Norco casements. We install Anderson's, Marvin's what ever the buyer wants. The glider is a simple but effective window design, that requires low maintenance (track cleaning), but no moving parts to break (DH balances or Casement cranks). I chose Norco, because I felt it's built as well as the big boys, but is more affordable. Shelter System's in Manasas will sell you Anderson, Norco, Marvin what ever you want. Call Brian at (703) 369-1552.
Thanks. I have found a few contractors that will install whatever brand I'm interested in. The rub is, where can I see one before I buy 15 of them? With the exception of Marvin and Weathershield, there don't seem to be any in the area showrooms.
Does your Co detector have a digital read out and record peak readings from 1ppm, if not get one 35$. Could it be an Ng leak, there are dual types of senors for 50$. Get a pro to fix it if you can`t.