Glidden Paints

How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

Thanks!

Reply to
BN

I'd say that paint is "middle-of-the-road". I'd say the best you can do is Sherwin Williams brand.

Reply to
Dan C

You can do better. HD does not carry the premium brands, only the "adequate" stuff. If you want a better job, so to a Pittsburgh dealer or Sherwin Williams.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I painted my whole house with Glidden from HD almost 3 years ago. Ceiling white (flat) on the ceilings and semi-gloss everywhere else. One coat but the colors are all light and very close to the previous colors. Durability has not been a question but we are fairly easy on paint. Seems like pretty good paint to me. Best I ever used was Dutch Boy, the top stuff. Worst I ever used was Sherwin Williams--took three coats for good coverage over a similar color--more like water than paint but that was 40 years ago.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

....or you could check the recent issue of Consumer Reports. They tested the various paint brands and formulations so you could base your decision on objective data...

Doc

Reply to
John H. Holliday

Consumer Reports "objective data" is one I hadn't heard 'til now.

Reply to
nospambob

Agree, since paint is the cheapest part of the project it never pays to go with the box store stuff which is just "adequate" as you described. Every time I have purchased it in a pinch or saw someone else use it the quality difference was clear.

Reply to
George

I'm not sure of which level the "Evermore" line is but Glidden is a good quality vendor on an equivalent price/point w/ any of the other "name" brands. I've used Glidden products quite satisfactorily over the years. I'd look into where this particular product places in the spectrum of products rather than simply at the brand--that is true of all name brands, of course.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

In general, there's a lot of truth in that observation. Also, length of warranties and in more detail, amount of solids, etc., in the formulations give further indications.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I too have been satisfied with Glidden. I have been able to use a roller to touch up dirty spots on a wall without being able to notice the transition from old to new (I roll the edges with the roller almost out of paint). That gives much better results than trying to clean marks. You will rub off flat Glidden paint before it comes clean and semi-gloss won't do that much better. The newest paint in my house is probably 5 years old so formulations may have changed since then.

I have not been happy with Behr that my brother used in his house a couple of years ago. It's thicker but takes two coats for any change in color because it leaves holes no matter how much you roll it. (And I think that was rolling it over their own primer). They sell Behr as a higher end paint, but it's essentially the house brand with a high mark-up. Perhaps it's more durable than Glidden.

Reply to
Art M

There is more BS about paint quality than there is about mileage improvements for the automobile. And all the arguments have similar logic faults.

When comparing major brands that sell for similar prices (there are quality levels among major brands), there is no doubt that brand A's low luster, mocha brown was a better overall paint than brand B's in 2002. But that doesn't mean that brand A's pink panther semi-gloss in 2004 was better than Brand B's. Besides, except for the occasional screw up of any major brand, the differences between brands as an overall products is tiny. It remains a crap shoot as to which paint is best, but in general the difference between the winner and the loser is a nickel or two.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Easy to tell just compare regular (not sale) prices. Similar prices similar level of quality. Glidden Evermore sells for about the same price as every other brand of paint aimed at the homeowner. (I'm not saying that professionals use a better paint.)

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I have touched up spots that were painted nearly 3 years ago with Glidden and could not tell where the touch up was made. (Nail and screw holes, wall hanging changes, rack repairs and tape damage) That said, I have also touched up Dutch Boy exterior paint after several years, most recently a very light Gray and before that a light cream yellow which is suppose to be the most fade prone. The latter was on the north side after 5-6 years when I installed new windows, but one could not tell a color where I painted around the windows.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

As w/ any other brand, depends on S-W product you buy...I recently had a bad experience w/ a S-W product.

I, otoh, used the (albeit exterior, not interior) Behr oil-based primer on the barn and it covered well and was a dream to spray and has been through two hot KS summers and one cold KS winter and is holding the topcoat like a dream...

It wasn't cheap, however... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I don't think its a crap shoot at all. I know that if I buy Sherwin Williams I will always get a good result.

And if you want a good "baseline" comparison how about comparing primers. We were painting some new drywall and ran out of primer. We were using Sherwin Williams and as always the primer coat looked almost like the final coat. I bought Behr super duper best quality primer. It had noticibly less solids and the primer did not cover. You could clearly see the difference between the taped joints and plain drywall.

Reply to
George

You both make valid point. Keep in mind though. that some brands will make a specific version to the specifications of the large stores they sell to. That line may or may not be as good as lines sold though other retail channels.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I heard that story about Dutch Boy while in a Dutch Boy paint store (haven't seen one for years). There may be some truth in that but you have to be very specific. If the can has the same name, I think it is the same regardless of where it is sold. Last year I bought a can of Duramax (made by Valspar) gloss indoor/outdoor latex for doors and door frames from Lowes. It has proved to be excellent. This year I needed another can but couldn't find it until I asked a clerk who pointed it out and said that it had been taken in to their American Traditions line but the paint was identical. The large name is American Traditions but still has Valspar in little print. I know nothing about the other American Traditions lines, but at a cost of $24 per gallon this ain't cheap, just good.

That said, Dutch Boy does have several lines, some of which are not sold in the more upbeat stores but are found at KMart ( and maybe some other stores.)

The key is still price. If you pay $17/gallon, It is likely that the quality is the similar to other brands that sell for $17/gallon, give or take a dollar or two. Glidden has different lines and one of them is Evermore. I think the Evermore formulation is the same regardless of where it is sold. Their online site tends to confirm that.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon