Glass Refrigerator Shelves

Page 1 of 2

Will placing a hot pot or dish on a glass refrigerator shelf crack it, or is the glass specially treated to make it crack proof from heat? Thanks.
Jack wrote:

Hmmm, I never saw glass shelf crack but never put anything hot on it either. What is the wisdom of putting something hot on the glass shelf? I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. Are you stupid?
nb

Why not put the pot first in a shallower bigger pan with cold water, and/or run cold water to cool the hot dish. While the glass shelf might not crack (who knows), it seems more energy efficient to cool the hot thing down a bit first.
--
Best regards
Han

Placing a hot dish in a refrigerator is generally not a good idea as it will heat up the surrounding food, possibly causing it to wilt or spoil. There are flash coolers for such purposes.
notbob wrote:

Hi, No. The opposite.
On 6/20/2010 8:13 PM, notbob wrote:

Why call someone stupid just because you don't get something?
Who exactly puts a hot pot directly into a fridge?

I'd be delighted to 'splain.
Every Sunday, I simmer a huge pot of beans that have been soaking overnight in the fridge. After an hour on the stove, they're dumped into a pyrex bowl. That bowl is hot as hell. Whatchoo suggest, I should leave 'em outta the fridge until they cool off?
On Jun 21, 8:58am, Sometimes-It's-Windswept@Jack's-Hill (Jack) wrote:

I've put fairly warm stuff in the fridge but if I can't hold my hands against the bottom for a couple seconds I wait.

Yep, that's what us normal folks do. If it's hot enough to worry about cracking the glass shelf, you just leave it alone until it cools closer to room temp. At first I thought this might be related to something very special that needs to cool faster. But beans? You don't want to leave food in the danger zone for long periods, but letting it cool for 30 mins or an hour is normal.
"Jack" wrote

Grin, I use a crockpot (less cost to make'em, can leave on 'warm' for a day or so to enjoy before you need to decant to something else).
Beans can be left safely to cool until you can easily handle the container with no problem, even with meat in them. Main risk once they are that cool is overheating something else in the fridge causing unsafe or unsightly spoilage.
Best bet for both food safety and not harming the fridge: Pour beans in your chosen keeper and set it on the counter while you eat. Can set in the sink with a little tap water partway up the container (room temp water) to speed this. Eat, enjoy, wash dishes then put it in the fridge. You won't 'Doctor Destructo' the mayo and other things then.
What comes to mind, to me. Cover the pot, so the beans don't dry out. Use a piece of wood (plywood, 1/2 inch) or some other insulator where the pot goes. So the pot doesn't sit on the glass shelf directly.
It's likely to spike the temps in the fridge for a few hours or more. That's also a concern, other stuff may be high temp range.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

What? You think the refrigerator just sits there and lets the interior temps rise? HELLO!! The point of refrigeration is to refrigerate. Temp rises, refrigeration system cycles ON. Temp decreases, refrigeration system cycles OFF. There will be a pop quiz.
Next lesson: Why water is "wet".
nb
On 6/21/2010 8:58 AM, Jack wrote:

No, but it doesn't take very long for something that is screaming hot to get down to a reasonable temperature where you can then pop it in the fridge.

Actually, they have been recommending for about 20 years that hot food, at least meat or some kinds of food, be allowed to cool in the fridge, rather than on a counter, to shorten the period that the temp is okay for growing germs. At the age of 80, my mother changed her practices to do this, at least some of the time.
But she didn't have glass shelves.
I don't bother to do it and I certainly wouldn't do it with glass shelves, and I think Luna2n's post settles it.
What a pain it must be to find replacement shelves for all but the newest refridges.
On Leno tonight, he had a newspaper wedding announcment for the couple, Salm-Minella. I kid you not.

Actually, all you would need is the glass. Take the frame to a glass shop have them measure it and order a piece of tempered glass.
mm wrote:

It's still a circulating old wives tale to not only let it cool to room temperature, but to leave it UNCOVERED during that time! My ex with a masters in culinary was taught that way only 15 years ago thanks to the highly respected Johnson & Wales University.

Not really a tale as there was basis in fact. Go back to ice boxes where hot food would cause the ice to melt. Things got better with mechanical refrigeration, but it was far from perfect a a big mass of hot food would bring up the temperature for everything in the fridge for a while until it caught up. New units can take quite a load, but I still give at least a short time for cooling. As for covering, that keeps in the heat so if you do have a large quantity, it will take longer to cool down to a safe temperature.