Glass Patio Table

Need replacement glass for 54 (53.5) inch round patio table, preferably with a hole in the center. Price quoted here in the DC area was over 400 bucks. Anyone ever tried LEXAN as a replaement?? IF so what price or a better price for glass?? Marshel OShields

Lexan changes dimension with temperature and scratches. I'd buy glass. T

table, I'd be pricing a new table. If I was set on keeping the table, I'd start looking at non-clear replacements, like 2 half-circles of solid-surface shower surround material. I highly doubt Lexan will be any cheaper than glass, since the cheaper plastics are already higer than glass.
aem sends...

mAYBE JUST keep the table, the new glass if you can find the same size, and give away the new table to someone who will settle for it not having a glass top. Maybe make a new top for the new table and give it all to someone.

That is what I wound up doing. I had a glass patio table with an umbrella. One day I heard this huge shattering noise and when I investigated, the wind had rocked the umbrella and the stress had done the damage. I got a similar quote for new glass. But here is the thing ... the table wasn't expensive, and when I looked at glass tables to replace it, I realized that better tables were designed to hold the umbrella more stable. Replacing the glass in the cheaper table would have been a waste of money.
So, if you do replace the table, and surely you can get one for about $400 this time of the year, check the contsruction to make sure you don't have a repeat.
Of course, that wasn't the original question, I don't know anything about plastic replacements.
nancy

When the OP said LEXAN I saw dollar signs.
-- Oren
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

(That $400 quote is likely tempered glass)
Have you considered a mosaic tile top? Cheaper!
-- Oren

I don't think polycarbonate is going to be a good long term solution as it may scratch.
You can buy cheaper here, but the shipping cost brings it back up close to your price http://www.glasstopsdirect.com/glass-round-54.php
http://www.glassical.com/54circles.htm

You're the MAN, Edwin! That place isn't too far from me, and I'm in the market for a couple of patio tables. I owe you a keg of beer, buddy! Thanks!

You're welcome. Just send the keg as an email attachment.

Thanks to all who responded. I may try the tile idea, more likely the "trash" suggestions. Marshel
If it was a Martha Stewart product there is an ongoing dispute with K Mart about replacing the shattering tops on her tables. You might inquire if it was.
--
BetsyB
"WalkingMan" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
betsyb wrote:

I am in Calgary Alberta. I had two of those glass tops shattered as they stands. One on the porch, one on a shaded patio. Regardless that made in China stuff is dangerous IMO. No more of those tables!