Glass Block Basement Window

Would like to convert an existing basement sliding glass window to a glass block type. Plan to order an already made-to-opening size system. The sill & jamb are in excellent shape - treated 2x wood. Quite sure you can use mortar, but is there is special method to ensure that it adheres to the wood? And, since we're experiencing temps of 30-40 degrees right now, will the mortar set up OK? Is there any mortar additive that facilitates "low temp" setting?

Reply to
jberndt

I woulnt recommend mortar on bare wood it will pull moisture out of the mix before it cures. An oil primer and latex topcoat is smart. Perhaps there is a better way, someone else knows of. Freezing is another issue im mot sure of

Reply to
m Ransley
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

John‰]

Reply to
William Brown

Unless it is vital that you put in this glass block window right away, I would wait until Spring and you won't be faced with these problems. Also, if you live in -30 temps, think of all the frigid air that is going to enter your house while you are installing your glass block window.

Reply to
Loose Cannon

Have you thought about getting one that installs like a conventional replacement window? I am pretty sure that you can get one from PPG ( glass ) or Hy-Lite ( acrylic ). In both cases you can probably get one that opens or just a panel.

Reply to
Eddie