Glad I Thought Of Doing It This Way...

The shelves in all our kitchen cabinets are supported by plastic supports which look similar to this:

They were put in 30 years ago when the place was built and every once in a while for no apparent reason other than age, one of them snaps off where the peg joins the support, leaving the peg stuck in the hole in the sidewall, flush with the surface.

Years ago I used to drag out a power drill with an assortment of bits and drill out the peg so I could insert a new support.

That worked, but spewed plastic shavings around and once I lost control and let the drill break through the sidewall of the cabinet.

That's when I thought up this safer way.....

I just take an appropriate size sheet metal screw, hold it by its head with pliers and heat the tip to nearly red hot with our small propane "kitchen torch" and then melt it into the broken off plastic peg. I step back and sing God Bless America to myself once while the screw cools down, then grab the screw head with pliers and pull out the peg.

BTW, how many of you know there's an opening verse to God Bless America that's rarely sung these days?

It goes:

While the storm clouds gather far across the sea, Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free, Let us all be grateful for a land so fair, As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.

God bless America........

Those of us old enough to remember Kate Smith would have heard it, she always started her singing of God Bless America that way.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Jeff,

$2.99 each? For plastic crap? Buy the brass ones. They are cheaper and last a lifetime'

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I don't think that's the "each" price, it's prolly for a bag of 10 or more, and I was only using that image to describe what I was writing about.

I just ordered a bag of 40 for $8.50 delivered (on eBay).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Great idea, we have similar plastic pegs and I wish I had thought of your idea a few times.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The right thing to do is pull ALL of them out and replace them while they are still in one peice. Preferably with the metal replacements.

Reply to
clare

Call me Mr. Frustration, but I say, "Aw, screw it!"

A #3 wood screw requires a 1/16" pilot hole in hardwood. It wouldn't have to be deep, and drilling shouldn't put much torque on the peg.

If the peg turned before the screw got a good bite, I'd use a slightly bigger bit. If that didn't work, I'd go out and get my torch as you suggested. Good tip!

The new tank is shorter and wider, reducing the chance that I'll knock it over and set my counter on fire. Still, before lighting the torch, I'll pump up my garden sprayer. That way, I'll merely feel like an idiot with a wet, burnt counter.

Reply to
J Burns