Giant plastic water pipe maker accused of fraud

(CBS News) Few things are as crucial to everyday life as clean water, carried in PVC plastic pipe. Much of it is made by JM Eagle, the biggest pipe manufacturer of plastic PVC pipe on the planet.

recyclebinned

in PVC plastic pipe.

pipe on the planet.

Wow, IMO, that is a major problem. Most of us buy plumbing supplies, electrical supplies and the like and expect it to meet specifications and codes. Our investment in our homes and even our lives depend on the reliability of those products. If this is true, they should be closed down and people should do jail time. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The article you posted, doesn't mention where the products are made. I had a look around the web site, briefly.

in Los Angeles. does that mean the plant is there, or do they import from China?

.

Much of it is made by JM Eagle, the biggest pipe manufacturer of plastic PVC pipe on the planet.

Stormin Mormon

JM Eagle is an American corporation and the world?s largest manufacturer of plastic pipe.[1] At its 22 plants in North America, the company manufactures polyvinyl chloride and high-density polyethylene pipe for a variety of industries including utility, plumbing, electrical, natural gas, irrigation, potable water, drainage and sewage. JM Eagle employs more than 1,000 people at its corporate office and in its 22 plants located in 15 states and Mexico.[2] [edit] History In 1982, Formosa Plastics purchased the eight plants comprising the plastic-pipe operations of Johns Manville to form J-M Manufacturing, headquartered in Livingston, N.J.[3] In November 2005, Walter Wang acquired 100 percent of the company from Formosa Plastics. J-M Manufacturing grew to a 14-plant enterprise by

2007, when it acquired the second largest plastic-pipe manufacturer, PW Eagle.[4] The company relocated its headquarters to Los Angeles in 2008.[5] JM Eagle offers full range of common product lines, as well as specialty and unique pipe products.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm not sure if they import from China but this might be a clue:

recyclebinned

Didn't look very hard, apparently...

--

Reply to
dpb

I don't know why they posted this now; the lawsuit was filed nearly 2 years ago...I've not seen nor does the article mention any resolution or even recent activity thereupon so appears just attempting to stir up controversy or traffic on a slow day...can't _imagine_ that from CBS :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Maybe a JM Eagleshit water pipe broke at KXLF and did thousands in damage? ;-)

Reply to
Norm A. Brams

FPE american circuit breaker manufacturer falsified documents to get NEC approval.

Their breakers which failed to trip once they tripped the first time became known as fire makers. the american FPE went bankrupt and out of business.

theres a company in canada that still produces replacement breakers for the panels, these are supposed to be safe....

greed has caused these problems before:(

Reply to
bob haller

Federal Pacific Electric breaker replacements are made and sold in Canada by Federal Pioneer Electric. Apparently, changes were made to get Canadian approval, so I understand, but cannot vouch for.

Reply to
EXT

Ah, thanks. Mostly LA, but all made in USA?

.

[...]

Yes, only spent a moment looking. Figured someone out there would tell me.

.

Didn't look very hard, apparently...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not NEC, UL. NEC doesn't "approve" anything; they publish the Code...

--

Reply to
dpb

Whether made in China or not, the article says "In his first TV interview, he says his own company cut corners for profit and hid internal tests allegedly showing some pipe had a high failure rate and was too weak to meet industry standards.... He says tests had "anywhere from 50 to 80 percent failure rates. ... When you're at 50-80 percent, you're buying a lottery ticket that's going with odds in the wrong way.... Hendrix says when the claims came in, he was encouraged to lie. He says he was told to blame contractor error and say the pipe had been installed improperly."

If true, none of that would be China's fault, including the "cutting corners for profit" which started the problem.

Reply to
micky

The people who live in and are from China are Chinese.

Reply to
recyclebinned

And price being the only basis for buying something. There are folks that want as possible stuff and FPE catered to that market. The quality difference was very noticeable just by looking at their quality compared to their competitors.

Reply to
George

Some where in that system, ought have been at least one person with a brain cell, that would have known the system was a disaster. I'm wondering if it was deliberate sabotage, or if it was negligence, or what? I have a hard time thinking that competent people would have done something so obviously wrong.

.

Whether made in China or not, the article says "In his first TV interview, he says his own company cut corners for profit and hid internal tests allegedly showing some pipe had a high failure rate and was too weak to meet industry standards.... He says tests had "anywhere from 50 to 80 percent failure rates. ... When you're at 50-80 percent, you're buying a lottery ticket that's going with odds in the wrong way.... Hendrix says when the claims came in, he was encouraged to lie. He says he was told to blame contractor error and say the pipe had been installed improperly."

If true, none of that would be China's fault, including the "cutting corners for profit" which started the problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Indeed.

Reply to