Giant plastic water pipe maker accused of fraud

(CBS News) Few things are as crucial to everyday life as clean water, carried in PVC plastic pipe. Much of it is made by JM Eagle, the biggest pipe manufacturer of plastic PVC pipe on the planet.
http://www.kxlf.com/news/giant-plastic-water-pipe-maker-accused-of-fraud /
On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 18:15:56 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Wow, IMO, that is a major problem. Most of us buy plumbing supplies, electrical supplies and the like and expect it to meet specifications and codes. Our investment in our homes and even our lives depend on the reliability of those products. If this is true, they should be closed down and people should do jail time. .
The article you posted, doesn't mention where the products are made. I had a look around the web site, briefly. http://www.jmeagle.com/jmeagle/locations.html HQ in Los Angeles. does that mean the plant is there, or do they import from China?
(CBS News) Few things are as crucial to everyday life as clean water, carried in PVC plastic pipe.
Much of it is made by JM Eagle, the biggest pipe manufacturer of plastic PVC pipe on the planet.
http://www.kxlf.com/news/giant-plastic-water-pipe-maker-accused-of-fraud /
On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 10:47:36 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

manufacturer of plastic pipe.[1] At its 22 plants in North America, the company manufactures polyvinyl chloride and high-density polyethylene pipe for a variety of industries including utility, plumbing, electrical, natural gas, irrigation, potable water, drainage and sewage. JM Eagle employs more than 1,000 people at its corporate office and in its 22 plants located in 15 states and Mexico.[2] [edit] History In 1982, Formosa Plastics purchased the eight plants comprising the plastic-pipe operations of Johns Manville to form J-M Manufacturing, headquartered in Livingston, N.J.[3] In November 2005, Walter Wang acquired 100 percent of the company from Formosa Plastics. J-M Manufacturing grew to a 14-plant enterprise by 2007, when it acquired the second largest plastic-pipe manufacturer, PW Eagle.[4] The company relocated its headquarters to Los Angeles in 2008.[5] JM Eagle offers full range of common product lines, as well as specialty and unique pipe products.
Ah, thanks. Mostly LA, but all made in USA?

[...]
I'm not sure if they import from China but this might be a clue:
http://www.trenchlessonline.com/inc/data/archives/2009-02-01.pdf
On 10/7/2012 9:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Didn't look very hard, apparently...
<http://www.jmeagle.com/pdfs/MadeinUSALetter.pdf
Yes, only spent a moment looking. Figured someone out there would tell me.
On 10/7/2012 9:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Didn't look very hard, apparently...
<http://www.jmeagle.com/pdfs/MadeinUSALetter.pdf

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 10:47:36 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Whether made in China or not, the article says "In his first TV interview, he says his own company cut corners for profit and hid internal tests allegedly showing some pipe had a high failure rate and was too weak to meet industry standards.... He says tests had "anywhere from 50 to 80 percent failure rates. ... When you're at 50-80 percent, you're buying a lottery ticket that's going with odds in the wrong way.... Hendrix says when the claims came in, he was encouraged to lie. He says he was told to blame contractor error and say the pipe had been installed improperly."
If true, none of that would be China's fault, including the "cutting corners for profit" which started the problem.

The people who live in and are from China are Chinese.
Some where in that system, ought have been at least one person with a brain cell, that would have known the system was a disaster. I'm wondering if it was deliberate sabotage, or if it was negligence, or what? I have a hard time thinking that competent people would have done something so obviously wrong.
Whether made in China or not, the article says "In his first TV interview, he says his own company cut corners for profit and hid internal tests allegedly showing some pipe had a high failure rate and was too weak to meet industry standards.... He says tests had "anywhere from 50 to 80 percent failure rates. ... When you're at 50-80 percent, you're buying a lottery ticket that's going with odds in the wrong way.... Hendrix says when the claims came in, he was encouraged to lie. He says he was told to blame contractor error and say the pipe had been installed improperly."
If true, none of that would be China's fault, including the "cutting corners for profit" which started the problem.
On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 11:09:27 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I don't know why they posted this now; the lawsuit was filed nearly 2 years ago...I've not seen nor does the article mention any resolution or even recent activity thereupon so appears just attempting to stir up controversy or traffic on a slow day...can't _imagine_ that from CBS :(
On 10/7/2012 2:39 PM, dpb wrote:

Maybe a JM Eagleshit water pipe broke at KXLF and did thousands in damage? ;-)
FPE american circuit breaker manufacturer falsified documents to get NEC approval.
Their breakers which failed to trip once they tripped the first time became known as fire makers. the american FPE went bankrupt and out of business.
theres a company in canada that still produces replacement breakers for the panels, these are supposed to be safe....
greed has caused these problems before:(

Federal Pioneer Electric. Apparently, changes were made to get Canadian approval, so I understand, but cannot vouch for.
On 10/7/2012 5:49 PM, bob haller wrote:

Not NEC, UL. NEC doesn't "approve" anything; they publish the Code...
On 10/7/2012 6:49 PM, bob haller wrote:

And price being the only basis for buying something. There are folks that want as possible stuff and FPE catered to that market. The quality difference was very noticeable just by looking at their quality compared to their competitors.