GFI outlet

Page 3 of 3
DAGS on GFCI tester? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=gfci+tester&oq=gfci+te&gs_l=products-cc.1.0.0.2282.3335.0.6543.7.6.0.1.1.0.82.461.6.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.eCnx9GrH_oo
Now sold in stores. Batteries not included.

On 12/14/2012 3:09 AM, Tim Watts wrote:

GFCIs are supposed to be tested periodically. I usually test them when I will be depending on one for protection. The built-in test is the same as your resistor test above - a resistor is connected from the downstream hot to the upstream neutral (or vice-versa?). The test works even when there is no ground at the GFCI.
This side the pond GFCIs operate at 5mA (4-6). If I remember right, there are some ground fault detectors for equipment that operate at 30mA.
Would think you would get a nasty shock at 25mA with no RCD trip.
I certainly don't want to chase you away, but a good usenet group for the UK (which you may have discovered)is uk.d-i-y It is astonishing how different the electrical is in the US and UK - like ring circuits, and RCD mains.
Doug wrote:

Turn off the GFI circuit breaker(s). Is the outlet still hot? If protected, it should not be.
--

dadiOH

I don't know if there is any way to trip a GFI socket, but perhaps someone here can help with that. I now know many household sockets can be wired in series to a GFI socket.
I jes recently tripped our kitchen GFI circuit, with an old waffle iron, from a socket I had no idea was GFI protected. It took out half the sockets in our modular home, including the bathroom and front room. I thought it was a circuit breaker and went outside to reset it, but found no circuit breakers tripped. I came back inside and began checking other sockets with a 3 LED socket tester and that's how I learned how extensive the blackout was. I finally checked another kitchen socket, the one which had the GFI reset thingie, but not the socket I was using when the GFI blew. I reset the GFI and all those dead sockets were re-energized. Who knew!? Live and learn. ;)
nb

Just push the test button on the GFCI outlet or breaker. That's sufficient for me that it's working and protecting the outlets downstream from the GFCI. Or alternatively there are simple, cheap LED outlet plug-in testers that show if the hot/nuetral are reversed, no ground, etc. They typically have a test button that you can press that will trip the GFCI if it's working.