GFI kicks in

I mean the GFI stops the flow of electricity. This happens about once a month, but today it won't reset. What's my first step at trouble- shooting?

Reply to
Not so quick

First try to find out what is kicking it. Check all outlets downstream and anything connected to them. Disconnect everything and try again. Then connect one at a time until it kicks off again.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

And if the GFCI still trips with nothing plugged into the circuit, check to make sure the electrical boxes clean inside - no dust, dirt, insects, cobwebs, etc (obviously do this with the circuit de-energized). These things can create high resistance pathways for electricity, not enough to trip a breaker but just enough to trip a GFCI. If cleaning the boxes and checking the connections on all the receptacles (including the GFCI) doesn't solve the problem, you most likely have a bad GFCI or downstream receptacle.

Reply to
Banister Stairwell

If you have an outdoor outlet on that circuit and you have been having a lot of rain, check the cover on that outlet to be sure that it is still waterproof. If it is damp/wet inside, drying it out with a hairdryer may get you back in service until a replacement cover and gasket can be put on.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

UNPLUG everything connected to it. If there are other outlets chained to it (secondary outlets hooked to it), be sure to unplug anything hooked to them too. If it still tripps, be sure all the wires are tight on it. If that dont fix it, replace it.

Reply to
me

Here is a web page I put together some time ago about GFI troubleshooting. Maybe it will help you.

Anthony Straight

NS> I mean the GFI stops the flow of electricity. NS> This happens about once a month, but today NS> it won't reset. What's my first step at trouble- NS> shooting?

First step is to find out what's wrong. The GFCI is tripping because either it is detecting a ground fault (it's job) or the GFCI is defective.

To determine if the unit is defective swap it out with a new one.

It's probably not defective, especially since the trips have been occurring about once a month. What happens at or a little before the once-a-month trips? Does it rain? Does the car get washed? Does someone clean the windows? Frequently a water leakage into the outlet will trip a GFCI. Fix is to clean out the outlet (with the circuit breaker off, not just the GFCI!) and fix whatever is allowing the water into the outlet. A drainage slot in the bottom of the gasket may be a good idea.

  • On a taxidermist's window: "We really know our stuff."
Reply to
barry martin

It was a bad GFI. The test button wouldn't depress. I'm so bad at this stuff. I let myself get shocked 4 times. The 4th was after shutting off the breaker marked GFI. Apparently there are more than one or it is mismarked. But it worked.

Thanks very much. You're advice really helped.

Reply to
Not so quick