GFI Caused a Fire!

Page 4 of 6
On 6/26/2013 3:41 PM, RBM wrote:

In general, if a house circuit does not need GFCI protection it needs AFCI protection.
AFCIs include ground fault protection at about 30mA (GFCIs are 5mA). I suspect that without the ground fault protection the neutral wouldn't have to be wired through an AFCI.

Mixed neutrals and "anomalies" can cause other problems.
If someone wants to add AFCI protection, another option is AFCI receptacles - Leviton is supposed to have one (maybe other manufacturers?). Like a GFCI receptacle, an AFCI receptacle will protect what is plugged into it, and what is wired downstream through the receptacle. If all the load is at the receptacle or downstream it should protect the upstream wiring from series arcs (loose connections) but not parallel arcs (H-N & H-G arcs).
Under the 2011 NEC, for new circuits protection can be an AFCI receptacle installed as the first device with the rest of the circuit wired through it, but the code is rather restrictive about the wiring method from the panel to the AFCI receptacle. The AFCI receptacle can be mounted next to the panel (which can protect fused circuits).
For extensions to existing circuits, where the extension is in areas that require AFCI protection, that protection must be provided. It can be done with an AFCI breaker, or an AFCI receptacle can be installed where the extension takes off (or upstream from that point).
AFCIs look at the arc "signature", which is more than just RF content. Last I heard detection is for arcs 5A or higher.
On 06/26/2013 05:41 PM, RBM wrote:

If there's a mixed neutral on a non-Edison circuit, that's a code violation, potentially a hazard, and should be fixed!
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:47:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@b.c wrote:

- which is also a "relatively new" house.
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:09:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I know how you feel. My house was built in '79 and I think it's pretty new.
Old is 1930.,

I tend to classify houses by technology. Really old is K&T wiring, pretty old is cloth covered wiring, newer is grounded circuits and newest is GFCI/AFCI protected.
--
Bobby G.

On 6/26/2013 10:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

They are put in bedroom circuits because that is where people are most likely to be asleep and unaware if a fire were to start there.
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:02:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Oh. Maybe I should just do my bedroom,
and let any weekend visitors fend for themselves. (I do have smoke alarms.)
On 6/26/2013 10:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

AFCI protection is currently required in practically all habitable rooms
On 6/26/2013 5:50 AM, RBM wrote:

I believe arc fault circuit breakers could prevent fires in homes with aluminum Romex. I've heard sizzling inside many junction boxes in many homes wired with aluminum Romex. O_o
TDD
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 09:48:35 -0500, The Daring Dufas

single wiring problem - but I AM replacing all switches and outlets with new COALR devices. Surprisingly, there is no such thing as a COALR GFCI device available in Canada (according to my electrical supplier) Need to use GFCI breakers
On 6/26/2013 9:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The homes I speak of passes inspection at the time using the guidelines at the time. Aluminum wiring connections will degrade over time due to the thermal and metallurgical properties of the wire. I've seen connections fail even when antioxidant compound was used. O_o
TDD

In areas near salt water, oxidation seemed to rapidly deteriorate the connections
On 6/27/2013 6:04 AM, RBM wrote:

When I was running 15kv underground coaxial power cables out in the middle of The Pacific, the guys working at the island's power plants discovered that a product, LPS 3 Premier Rust Inhibitor sprayed on the connections of all their high, medium and low voltage connections kept them corrosion free in the salt water environment. ^_^
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LPS-Rust-Inhibitor-6Y745?Pid=search
http://tinyurl.com/ooefs7w
TDD
Thanks for the head up. I can get LPS3 at a hardware some what near me. I replaced a circuit panel box for a friend, a couple years ago. We took out a FPE Stabloc, and put in something modern. Probably saved his life. And his wife and two kids. I could have sprayed all the neutrals and aluminum connctions with that stuff. Well, next time....
Lps1 and Lps2 are lubricants. One dries wet, the other dries dry. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On 6/27/2013 11:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

replaced a circuit panel box for a friend, a couple years ago. We took out a FPE Stabloc, and put in something modern. Probably saved his life. And his wife and two kids. I could have sprayed all the neutrals and aluminum connctions with that stuff. Well, next time....

The LPS 3 dries to a waxy film that can be easily removed. I've used it in motor connection boxes on cooling towers to prevent corrosion. ^_^
TDD
I wonder if that would slow down the rust that eats our vehicles. From road salt.
Would it be suitable to spray on aluminum high amperage feeder wires, in circuit panel boxes?
I did try Noalox on small .250 push on terminals, but it ate them away. Sigh. Now I use dielectric grease for push on terminals. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
The LPS 3 dries to a waxy film that can be easily removed. I've used it in motor connection boxes on cooling towers to prevent corrosion. ^_^
TDD

LPS3 lasts a year outdoors so they claim. I spray boiled linseed oil on some auto parts on vehicles. I don't how that would stack up on electrical connections. Might catch fire.
Greg
On 6/27/2013 12:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

How does something dry wet? If it remained wet, it didn't dry, no? ;-)
Oh, that puts my brain in spain, in pain. Far too philosiphical for me.