GFCI won't reset if closet light is on

I just installed a GFCI outlet in my daughter's room, and that circuit is shared with a few other outlets and two closet lights. When I turn on one of the closet lights, the GFCI trips (pressing reset doesn't do anything) and all connected circuits shut off. This continues until I turn off the closet light. Once the closet light is off, I can press reset on the GFCI and everything's back to normal. Turning on the other closet light doesn't cause this problem (the light just comes on).

Does this mean that there's a wiring fault in that closet light? Or would the fault be in the light switch? What should I look for when I open up the switch or light fixture?

Reply to
Timur Tabi

One thing to check for is to make sure someone does not have the ground and neutral switched somewhere.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Why did you put a gfci in your daughters room?

Steve Barker LT

that would be my guess

Or

Reply to
CJT

why not? for the same reason people "child-proof" outlets

Reply to
CJT

I remember the time about 25 years ago, my little girl was playing quietly in her room with her dollies and jewlery, just having a good time till she hung a necklace on the plug for her light on the night stand. Unfortunately, the plug was not in all the way and the necklace slipped behind and touched both the hot and neutral. Pow!

Fortunately, the only damage was a slight flash burn on her hand and a destroyed necklace. I would rather have had a GFCI.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

But a GFCI wouldn't have done anything in this case. There was no potential generated on the ground. Now an AFCI outlet might have done something.

Reply to
Noozer

Sure, but one doesn't need much imagination to envision a similar incident which a GFCI _would_ protect against.

Reply to
CJT

did you hook up gfi correctly? i would put all wires on line side and see if that takes care of your problem.

Reply to
sym

Such as the necklace, still touching her hand, touching the hot prong.

Reply to
clifto

a gfci is hardly child proof. what happened to adult supervision?

Steve Barker LT

exactly. And again, where's the adult supervision?

Steve Barker LT

nobody said it is

what happened to adult supervision?

you obviously don't have kids -- the best adult supervision can always use augmentation

Reply to
CJT

no, actually i successfully raised two. And no electrocutions.

Steve Barker LT

Good for you. But that's no reason to denigrate the efforts of others to make their environments safer for their kids.

Reply to
CJT

I'd start by checking the overhead bulb socket or fixture in the troubled closet.

Disconnect the hot and neutral leads from it, make sure the stripped ends aren't touching anything and see if the GFCI stays "on" when you flip the switch for that closet light on.

If it does, you've narrowed it down to the fixture or socket. It may have an internal leakage fault, try a different socket or fixture.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You're absolutely right. I was just curious.

.net.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Make sure you have the "downstream" line on the "line" side of the outlet, and not the "load" side. You don't need the closet light protected by gfci anyway. That may fix the problem.

Steve Barker LT

Hmm. This may raise that; "Use only 3 pin plugs; not those two pin variety, even if polarized". And put the ground pin up? But agree a GFCI (which works on unbalance of the currents in the neutral and live conductors) would not have done much in 'The case of the necklace'! Tripping GFCI; sounds like something is miswired!

Reply to
terry

Adult 'supervision' was about 20' away in the next room. I take it you had/have adult supervision hoovering over your kids 24/7? Micro-managing?

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB