GFCI won't reset after replacing switch

I have a circuit in the house we just moves into that controls the outside lights, light over the front door, light on post, light over garage, and an outdoor GFCI receptacle that low voltage lights along the walkway are plug ged into.
In anticipation of winter I went and bought a timer switch so these lights would be on when I came home. After I put the switch in everything worked except for the GFCI outlet. There is an orange light on it and pushing the reset does nothing. I have to believe that the installation of the switch had something to do with this as it all worked fine before.
What could I have done wrong? House is 1970's vintage with old/new electri cal in it.
-Jim

Does the timer control the GFCI? If so the switch has to be on when you reset the GFCI and YMMV whether it stays on when you turn the timer off and back on again.
Might be the switch isn't compatible. Could be not your fault.
On 9/7/2013 11:56 AM, jtpr wrote:

"jtpr" wrote in message

What brand/model is the timer switch and the GFCI?
The GFCI manual would tell you the meaning of the light. Or use a multi meter to measure the voltage going into the GFCI and to make sure the polarity is correct.
jtpr wrote:

To prove the new timer switch is the cause, remove it and see. Some timers contain SS components which can cause problem like that. Is the switch before the GFCI or after? That makes difference too. All our outside lights are dusk to dawn light sensor controlled.
On 9/7/2013 11:56 AM, jtpr wrote:

like all the other things mentioned. As gfretwell said, the power must be on when you attempt to reset a newer GFCI receptacle. You could have reversed the polarity to the GFCI receptacle, when installing the timer, or it could have just gone bad.

Jim-
Some GFCI outlets can provide protection for additional non-GFCI outlets. The outlet has a "Line" end where power from your breaker box is connected. If needed, additional outlets would be connected to the "Load" end of the GFCI outlet.
One reason your GFCI outlet will not reset, might be that you connected power from your breaker box to the "Load" end of the outlet.
As others mentioned, power must be present for a GFCI to reset.
Fred