GFCI tripping w/ expresso. Use another plug ?

thanks for the answers. I will go buy a multimeter, although I am not sure what I should do to correct if I find it doesn't do what Autotracer explained below.

What are the risks of using a non-GFCI outlet (not grounded as I live in an old house) for a few weeks ? My in-laws are visiting soon, and I'd like to be able to offer them decent coffee.

thanks. Fred

PS- I am repost> Your expresso machine must have a metal body else it would not need a

grounded cord. Using a multimeter with the unit unplugged check the > resistance between the black and ground and the white and ground, they > should both be open. Check the resistance between the chassis and ground, > it should be shorted. Thats a basic test and if it failed, I would expect > the GFCI to trip always (except if ground is open in which case it would > never trip). > You say it is only tripping when the motor starts. This implies the motor > is putting current down the green wire while running. Is it possible

the

green and white wires are swapped for the motor only. > >" I opened the expresso machine, tied all connectors I could find, tried > > it again, and it made the GFCI tripped" > What did you do? if you reconnected any wires, you may have created the > second fault at that time while eliminating an original short in the old > cord. Swapping black for white or white for ground could be a cause of > this. > Does the machine also trip regular breakers when the motor starts, if

so it

is not a GFCI condition but an overcurrent protection trip > > thanks for your responses. > > I installed a new GFCI, and it was still tripping. > > I then tried again to plug it into the other plug I tried before, and I > > realized it actually wasn't a GFCI (I couldn't see it as it was behind > > a 2 -> 6 plug adaptor :-( Being in the kitchen, I just assumed it was > > GFCI, but it wasn't). > > So now I know my espresso machine is at fault. > > I opened the expresso machine, tied all connectors I could find, tried > > it again, and it made the GFCI tripped. > > Next thing I tried: changed the cord. I had one at home, so simple > > enough. One thing I wasn't sure about is that it had blue, brown and > > yellow-green cables (the espresso is made in Italy), but the cord I

had

> was the typical black, white and ground. > > I connected in: black/brown, white/blue and yellow-green/ground (found > > that info on the internet) > > When plugged in, it doesnt' trip anymore. However, if I activate the > > pump, it trips again. > > Any idea before I take it to repair. I probably should do that, but
> bought it used on ebay, not exactly for cheap, and sent it to

repair

> about 5 months ago (they cleaned everything), so my 10 years old > > machine already cost me more than a new one :-( > > I would hate to fork another $100 on it... > > thanks in advance. Fred > > PS: I am reposting, as, for some reason, my msg didn't show up as new. > > > In my kitchen, my espresso machine is making the GFCI trip. When > > > plugging something else (such as toaster), it doesn't trip. > > > Also, plugging the espresso machine to another GFCI in my

kitchen, it

> > doesnt' trip neither. > > > So is it due to the espresso machine or shall I just change the GFCI > > ? > > > thanks. > > > Fred.
Reply to
fredinstl

" To answer the risk question, numbers of amps (or milliamps) that are leaking down the safety ground wire must be known. "

If I had an espresso machine that was tripping a GFCI and I determined it was not the GFCI, I'd either get it fixed or get a new one. Exactly how much current is leaking has very little relevance. Clearly there is a defect and the current could change from a very small amount to a lethal amount with no warning. If it's a loose wire, or partial short, it could go to lethal just with moisture or a good bump.

Reply to
trader4

As I recall, you had demonstrated leakage from a motor inside the expresso machine. The conductivity function in a meter probably will not measure that leakage. 'Kludge' the power cord connection so that a meter will measure as little as microamps of AC current. IOW that meter must be able to measure tenths of AC milliamps. You must put the meter in series with the safety ground prong.

The GFCI only trips when the motor powers on. Since all wires are separated, then the motor would be the leakage. Leakage in motors often means a circuit path that cannot be measured by the DC test voltage from that meter. A better alternative would be disassembly, cleaning, and inspection of that motor.

To answer the risk questi> thanks for the answers. I will go buy a multimeter, although I am not > sure

Reply to
w_tom