GFCI's required in a non-updated bathroom? (Two prong type)

Page 3 of 4

Well you can have trooubles depending on what you plug in. some devices REQUIRE a ground for proper operation.
computers, fluroscent lamps, come quickly to mind..........
On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 20:18:57 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Computers need a ground? That would certainly be news to the two that have been running in my cars for close to a decade.
On Nov 4, 12:17�am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

car computers are grounded to the vehicle.
at least a few years ago many PCs needed to be grounded. no ground can cause static issues
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 05:08:32 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Please describe "static issues". Give examples, too.
On Nov 4, 8:24�am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

t> wrote:

flakey operation, freezes lock ups etc.
a buddy who repairs computers for a living asks this question first.
i found this out after i had issues and his advice checked the outlet ground, which wasnt solid, after a earler receptable replacement
this all 5 years ago, i dont know about today
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 05:56:43 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Most "computer repairmen" are not really electronic techs. They are amateur parts changers who turned a hobby into a job. That is evident in your friend's diagnosis. There is no scientific basis for the claim that personal computers need a ground to operate properly. That has been true since the inception of personal computers. A good ground is a good idea, but not to make the computer free from "static issues" or to enhance reliability.

You don't need a ground to avoid "static issues" either.
Static electricity is when two objects are at different electrical potentials. Connect them together and there is a brief electrical current until they are at equal potentials.
When installing static sensative devices into a computer, one doesn't need to be grounded. One simply needs to be at the same static potential as the equipment. For example, after removing a memory module from its antistatic wrapping, hold it in one hand, with the other touch the computer's case. Module, human, and computer are now all at the same static potential and there will not be a equipment damaging current flow when the device is installed.
I live in bone dry phoenix arizona and have to do something like this every time I kiss my wife goodbye before going to work. I touch her hand first so the static zap is there instead of at the kiss.
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:32:59 -0600, AZ Nomad

I believe that's exactly what I said.

I wasn't disagreeing with you.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

A ground might be necessary for some surge protectors to work. The computer that's plugged into it, not so much.
Bob

What type of surge suppressor might that be?

Nope. If the surge protector's ground input is isolated, they'll still work perfectly.
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 05:08:32 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I am not talking about the onboard processors. I have 2 P1 desk tops running in cars on inverters as MP3 players ... and no, ... that center pin on the receptacle does not go anywhere.

all will work perfectly without a ground. keep trying.
The ground is there for equipment operation. It's there to safeguard the human during a electrical fault (110 breaks loose, touches the case; transformer isolation breaks down, etc.)

god damn keyboard dyslexia. That should read: "The ground is NOT there for equipment operation."

My experience too, 2 buyers, 2 home inspections........
first inspector noted no GFCI on garage sump pump. so installed a GFCI, but sale fell thru.
new buyer inspector number 2. noted there SHOULDNT BE A GFCI ON SUMP PUMP:(
home inspection industry is a joke. 2nd inspector wrote up gas valve on BRAND NEW water heater. had valve replaced, plumber said it was perfect.
home inspectors sometimes make up things to justify their fee.
and yes some issues will get buyer a denial of homeowners insurance, and thus sale is impossible........
cracked trip hazard sidewalks, lack of railings. FHA has even more standards

re: "Damn, you're a cheapskate."
Didja miss the part where the OP said:
"I'm trying to figure if it's easier to just offer some additional money at settlement and let them have the work done themselves."
Apparently, it's not about the money.

As others have said, putting the GFCI's in the bathrooms would be a great goodwill gesture. It might even go a long way to letting you slide on the other "it would nice it they were done" items. A little give and take.
As far as replacing the 2 prong outlet in the upstairs bathroom, as long as there is room in the box (GFCI receptacles take up a bit more room) it's an easy swap.
As far as the one built into the medicine cupboard, you might be able to find a outlet upstream of that one where you could put the GFCI. Either that or you could replace the breaker for that room with a GFCI breaker. It's would be a bit more expensive, but not as expensive as losing the sale. That might also work for the upstairs bathroom if the box is too small.
Yeah, there might be nuisance trips depending on what else the breaker controls, but they won't be a nuisance to *you* if you get my drift.

Lee-
We've bought & sold a number of homes over the past 20 years. I typically dont bother with a home inspection & we adjust the offering $'s to our " we'll take as is" .
When we've sold, of course the buyer has an inspection & the resulting laundry list of "defects", cuz that's how inspectors jsutify their cost....typically a bunch of nit picks.
I go through the list & figure how much each itme would be for me to fix or cost to hire a fix. I come up with a number (usually a combo fix plan) to do them all. We've used the same realtor in all our sales and the conversation goes like this "Jayne, how many $'s to make the list go away. I can do them all for $3000. She talks to the other realtor, the price is adjusted & the list goes away.
In your case, as others have suggested, just install a GFI yourself & sticker it.
IMO, in this sales environment, you dont want to blow a sale for a few simple, inexpensive fixes.
cheers Bob
"Lee B" wrote

No, it is not required. Futhermore, even having an outlet isnt required (I have none in the bathrooms).
I'd check estimates, then if the list is too long offer what portion you are willing to cover, and if they want it all, tell them how much the house price increased. based on estimates. for the work.
Look, houses sell all the time 'as is'.